SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plane Lands on Freeway
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plane Lands on Freeway Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Looks like a good landing too. (Language warning)

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
They walked away. Next exit for gas.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Nice landing, but wow, the parents need to read some books. No vocabulary whatsoever.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Nice landing. I loved how traffic just drove on past as if it was a slow car in the fast lane Roll Eyes

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice landing. I loved how traffic just drove on past as if it was a slow car in the fast lane

He was probably rear ended by a texter with no insurance shortly thereafter. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Nice landing, but wow, the parents need to read some books. No vocabulary whatsoever.

My thoughts as well, and in front of their young children. Ridiculous.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Nice landing. I loved how traffic just drove on past as if it was a slow car in the fast lane

He was probably rear ended by a texter with no insurance shortly thereafter. Wink
You owe me a keyboard pal! Big Grin

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

Probably had an empty gas tank. GA Ops normal, forgetting to fill the tanks.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Nice landing. I loved how traffic just drove on past as if it was a slow car in the fast lane Roll Eyes

That was in El Cajon, about 20 miles east of San Diego. From what I heard on the radio, if you didn't get by him you were stuck in traffic a couple hours. Also, there were multiple accidents as a result of people slowing down/ stopping and the person behind them not paying attention.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Are you sure? You have definite information? You know this, positively?

I had an engine stop running, with plenty of fuel on board. A piston departed, exited through the cowling, at a high rate of velocity. That was the starboard engine.

Port side kept running just fine. Fortunately, I was well below gross weight at the time, had no problem diverting to a nearby airport.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the problem was.

Gillespie Field is off to his right a few miles.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

I had an engine stop running, with plenty of fuel on board. A piston departed, exited through the cowling, at a high rate of velocity. That was the starboard engine.

Port side kept running just fine. Fortunately, I was well below gross weight at the time, had no problem diverting to a nearby airport.

Hence "probably" leading off my sentence.

Yes, engines throw pistons, yes they break and stop running sometimes, but from my observation reasonably well maintained planes usually stop running when they don't have any gas in them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who went up with his next door neighbor (an airline pilot) in his plane. My friend had his wife and baby with them during this. This was over northeastern NJ, near NYC.

The plane's motor through a piston through the cowling and lost power. The pilot neighbor put the plane down on I-287 with no problems. Everyone made the news that day.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had a cylinder try to escape in flight, and made to an airport. Messy, and expensive. It turned out at last overhaul, someone had used El Cheapo bolts instead of genuine Lycoming to hold the cylinder to the block, improperly torqued, never noticed.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I had a cylinder try to escape in flight, and made to an airport. Messy, and expensive. It turned out at last overhaul, someone had used El Cheapo bolts instead of genuine Lycoming to hold the cylinder to the block, improperly torqued, never noticed.
Scary!

During 30 years of ownership, I ran the V-Tail's engine to TBO three times. Each time, I weighed the options, and decided to go with a factory overhauled engine instead of a field overhaul. Scenarios like you quoted, contributed to that decision, along with warranty, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I do hope he bought a lottery ticket.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

You know, I can understand V-Tail's ire at your comment. While it does happen that the GA people screw-up, the guys and gals of mil-av aren't doing so well these days safety-wise.

Some is maintenance, some is lack of training budget, some if just plain old fuck-up.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We had a pilot locally that crashed his plane in downtown Spokane a few years ago. He was killed and the reason was that his piston engine plane was filled with avgas. I haven't heard what the lawsuit his family filed came up with but I'm sure it was substantial.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.303c12c3878c

quote:
EL CAJON, Calif. — A small plane with a student pilot on board made an emergency landing in the middle of traffic on a Southern California freeway.

The California Highway Patrol says the plane landed safely in the westbound lanes of Interstate 8 in El Cajon on Friday morning after reporting engine trouble.

Authorities say the single-engine Piper was carrying a 25-year-old pilot and a 36-year-old student.

The CHP says the instructor landed the plane. Video taken by a motorist on the freeway shows the plane gliding down between cars and rolling along two lanes.

The pilot and student pushed the plane to the freeway shoulder to avoid blocking traffic.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
We had a pilot locally that crashed his plane in downtown Spokane a few years ago. He was killed and the reason was that his piston engine plane was filled with avgas.
That does not make sense to me. Piston engines use avgas. The current standard for avgas is 100LL -- 100 octane, Low Lead.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים