SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowplow help for a gen 2 Toyota (1988)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowplow help for a gen 2 Toyota (1988) Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I know summer is almost here. But having sold my JD tractor and the two UTV's I had. I am currently with out a snow plow. Right now I am not planning on another ATV or UTV. They are just too expensive to justify purchasing.

Been looking on line at tractors and am currently torn on the best equip. to purchase. I really want to buy an excavator. But cannot snow plow with one. I can with a tractor but the other work I want to do is really not something a tractor would be best at vs an excavator.

So I have a nice gen 2 Toyota wwd extra cab. Wondering if I should set it up to plow snow. It would not be something I would attempt to make money plowing. It would be personal use so I do not think it would be too hard on it. But do not know for sure.

Wondering what your thoughts are. Some with real experience would be helpful. A recommendation on a plow system would be helpful as well. Could I get one for about $1500?

Please feel free to advise me. Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple of truck-mounted snow plows. I now have a tractor with a 64" blower.

I would never again mount a plow on a truck I intended to use for anything else. No matter how careful you are, the weight of the plow is going to eat suspension and front-end parts, and the shocks and load of plowing are going to be hard on the transmission.

If I absolutely had to have a truck with a plow and all I was going to use it for was my own driveway, I'd find a second-hand beater somewhere and not even bother to register or insure it. Also, I wouldn't want to plow with a half-ton pickup. 3/4 ton is pretty much the minimum.

It's HIGHLY unlikely you're going to find a plow worth having for $1500, especially with the head gear that will fit your Toyota. OTOH, you might find a rusty beater of a plow truck that can't be inspected, insured or registered in that price range.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
answering this really needs some idea of what you need to plow.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If there were a way to "quick-change" a plow for just when you need it, I'd say go ahead. But even if you aren't actually plowing, the sheer weight and drag of it is hard on every part of the truck - tires, steering/suspension, engine/transmission/clutch, engine cooling, gas mileage, everything. Is something like a Bobcat tractor big enough? How much would it cost to hire somebody and let his ride take the punishment?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
A couple of acres to clear multiple times a year usually. Maybe a 1/2 mile of road a hand full of times a season in addition.

Was thinking about something like this possibly?

https://www.snowexproducts.com/product/light-truck/

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by egregore:
If there were a way to "quick-change" a plow for just when you need it, I'd say go ahead.

Yes, egregore. That is exactly what I am wanting to do.

posted Hide Post
quote:
couple of acres to clear multiple times a year usually. Maybe a 1/2 mile of road a hand full of times a season in addition.

with how much snow normally? You don't have a location in your footer...

posted Hide Post
I had reasonable success running a Snowbear plow on an 1987 4Runner. It was no Western Snow Boss on a LWB 4x4, but it was easily detached and attached and sufficient for plowing a thousand foot drive, and some light stuff around my wife's place of employment.

The downside to "residential" plows is that they tend to require that the angle be set manually. because they don't have a hydraulic system, but instead use an electric winch to raise and lower the blade. I also used it on a Jeep Cherokee, until I tried to plow a curb, resulting in a loud noise and a bent mount; another argument for a dedicated beater truck.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Been looking on line at tractors and am currently torn on the best equip. to purchase. I really want to buy an excavator. But cannot snow plow with one. I can with a tractor but the other work I want to do is really not something a tractor would be best at vs an excavator.

How about a TLB (tractor-loader-backhoe)?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I think what you are seeing is that true self sufficiency is expensive. A tractor might not do everything but it is as close as it gets to a Swiss Army knife of property management. After having had a tractor for snow removal, I will never put a plow on a truck again if I can help it. You might not do much in terms of digging with a tractor but you can cut grass/hay, haul stuff with a front end loader and remove snow better than any truck can accomplish with a plow. You can always buy a subframe or 3 pt hitch backhoe for a tractor, or just rent a mini excavator when you need one like I do. If you are going to be digging a lot then pony up the bucks to buy a decent mini excavator to use for the period that you need it and then sell it when you are done with it. If you are looking at doing anything that approaches homesteading or even just living on some land and constantly making improvements over time then you are going to want a tractor in my opinion.

Oh and there’s no way I would put a plow on a 2nd generation Toyota. Plus your chance of finding anything that is fully operational that would work with such a truck for $1500 is about as good as hitting a million dollar scratch off ticket. Either keep the tractor and get a plow for it or just hire out the plowing.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughtful post LT. Cheg. I owned a 33hp comp. JD for over twenty years. So I am well versed on them and how handy they are and what they can and can't do.

I agree with kidcop on adding a smaller plow on my Toyota. Not ideal. But would work fine if paying attention and staying with in it limits.

I have a bunch of large timber to move. Logs weighing up to 3000lbs.

So a tractor with forks to move them will need to be in the 60hp range. So far from cheap.

Moving them with an excavator makes much more sense. Also digging large stumps out. Pushing trees over and piling brush is going to be way better with an excavator. Which I can buy a quality used one for about the budget of a 60 hp tractor. Which is not going to very helpful for many of those tasks.

I am also considering renting a tracked skid steer with a grapple and see how it works. I think it will be very functional. I could sell my Toyota in order to buy a skid steer with a bucket and grapple and be in the budget range I am thinking of for either the tractor or excavator.

Hence my question about setting up my Toyota with a plow.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest thinking about a skid steer. I use one for all the reasons you listed and love it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Here you go:
Meyer Home Plow...
https://www.thehomeplow.com/HowItsMade.aspx
Now you just need a front 2" hitch....
https://mobtownoffroad.com/pro...-front-recovery-bar/

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I saw an answer on the level of snow/ But in my area there are plenty of people who do their own driveways with small 'consumer' plows on small trucks. Of course nobody who does this seriously or for money does that. But you will mostly be able to push snow. And the consequences to the truck are mostly in your control.Your budget will certainly be a challenge but I never am surprised by someone finding a deal that I though wasn't possible. As for your 3K logs you might need to assess lifting them (even a decent sized small excavator or good sized skid steerer will be challenged by 3K of weight (my very large 10K tracked CAT loader is only 2K, my 30Klb cat wheeled loader is only 2200 lb on forks)...

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am currently looking at skid steers in the 70-80hp range. I will not need to lift much over the 50% so there are some that will do $3k.

Appreciate your insight hrcjon.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I would not even consider mounting a snowplow on a 33 year old truck. I would expect the frame to show stress real fast.

I have a tractor that I use for plowing snow but I bought a plow for my truck because it is much warmer in the truck then ON the tractor.
I guess I could have bought a tractor with a cab.
My truck plow is a Fisher that is a quick attach, 2 minutes (if you can align up the first try).

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I took my Toyota to a fella I know who is in the car business. Had him look it over. He told me what he thought it value is in the current market. I may sell it instead of putting a plow on it. Even though I think I could.

Also, been looking at used Skid Steers as I think that may be my best option. John Deere looks like a good option.So does Case. Cat and Bobcat brands look like you will have to over pay? Kubota looks good too, but expensive. Let me know if those are not a good idea's or one to stay away from. I do have quite a few questions about them. Not sure about a one or two speed unit among other questions. Thanks to all who have posted.