SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer nuke and pave, share your recipe.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer nuke and pave, share your recipe. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
So my Windows 10 bought the farm. Haven't had a single major update that did not become a pain in the groin.
The April Upgrade was no different but for the fact that this time I'm not stuck in an endless loop. This time I m fooked.
My alternatives are rolling back to a non existant roll back image or pick between two Windows 10 previous partitions that only exist in a parallel world. Sure, I can always go back to a Restore Point. Well, actually I can't. None of the options the menus offer is working. I'm so glad I moved to Windows 10...

That was my brief introduction. Now to the point.
Usually when my puters go full retard I opt for a full nuke and pave. Search for all the drivers first and foremost and then boot with an external source and copy all drive contents to another repository. Once satistied with that, I prefer to delete all drive partitions including those provided by the manufacturer and leave the unpartitioned drive to the fresh install to handle.

That is my present job for the next days. Thank you Microsoft, from the bottom, really, really, really the bottom, of my heart

This at least the third failed upgrade of my HP Pavilion DV7. I only use it for Chrome and Firefox browsing, VLC media playing, some TeamViewing and a healthy dose of World of Tanks every other night. That is all. Hardly ever a .PDF viewer and no printing.
I'm asking too much?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not every hardware (HP DV7 is ten years old Eek) plays well with upgrades.
Luckily the process is fairly easy to reinstall.
Unfortunately, there is not always an alternative. It also isn't necessarily Microsoft's fault.
Current hardware plays much better.
YMMV

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Are you implying, Sir, that the Fourth World should stay clear of Windows 10? Big Grin

0-0

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Are you implying, Sir, that the Fourth World should stay clear of Windows 10? Big Grin

0-0

*shrug*

No fan of MS-Win10 (or Microsoft, in general) here, but this one I don't feel can be put on either. Ten-year-old hardware and up-to-date operating systems often aren't a good mix. In fact: Ten years is my personal hardware EOL mark. I've generally found it increasingly difficult to achieve satisfactory results with hardware older than that.

(N.B.: Back when they were still with us, I easily loaded current Sun Sparc Solaris versions on hardware much older than that. But it was Sun hardware. And I've done the same with various flavours of Linux on commodity hardware. Still wouldn't recommend it.)

Why did you go with MS-Win10, rather than, say, MS-Win7, in the first place?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I have no words of advice, but I'll give you kudos for keeping a laptop up and running for 10 years Eek That's 2 to 3 times what I've been getting out of mine (for work).

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using Ubuntu Mate on my old computers, they have been very happy with this OS.

I do not know if World of Tanks would play on a Linux base system. Everything else you are doing would work.

Best wishes on our rebuild.

Bill

Posts: 726 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Win10 recovery sucks. The first option is just 'reboot' or 'advanced options', which includes the oh so technical 'shut down'. I have a VM that craps out the first 6-7 times it tries to do a monthly update. I have to hard reboot the host to get it to come back, rinse & repeat until it finally updates. I don't fully blame microsoft for that one, It's not exactly a normal use case.

Get a fresh .iso from MS - it should have april or at least March rolled into it already.
Install OS, drivers, most used programs - then take an image of the HDD & keep it for the next nuke & pave. don't install AV or other programs that need multiple updates before you image - more trouble than it's worth.
Use ninite.com to install common programs (7zip, notepad+, etc) unattended.

You know my proclivity for keeping hardware alive, or at least hoarding it - I have a 9.5YO HP laptop running my 3D printer. It runs better on win10 than it did on [Shudder]vista[/Shudder]

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I don't mind Win10. But I'll admit to maintaining one WinXP machine just for my current printer and one program that won't run on Win10 and is no longer supported by it's developer.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A ten year old computer is on borrowed time, especially if it is a laptop.

If you want to keep it, I'd say just put Windows 7 on it, I have been fine with Windows 10, but I liked 7 and it was very stable.

You can get a LOT of PC for not a lot of coin these days, with a 10 year old machine, it may be time.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
You guys know how expensive is to live in a 4th world country? Just think that the stuff you want is almost certainly in international prices while you live on local 4th world income.

hey, my newest machine ain't 10 YO yet, so give it a break before it breaks all by itself Big Grin I grant you my old Vista Class Toshiba is that old but not the HP. Please spare it. We shall resume this topic when I bitch about it in a couple of years, shall we?

Get back on topic and give me your tips for N&P . I do this for a living and that is why I must keep up with the latest OS and its "features" as we used to call them in the old days.

This old dog is always ready to learn new tricks.

0-0