SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I've tried Harry's twice. The blades don't seem to last nearly as long as Gillette's.

I must have been doing something wrong. I was getting a week out of the Mach 3 before I would notice them getting “grabby”. With the Harry’s (5 bladed), I get a month or close to it before I notice any degradation.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Schick injector. One blade can last me a month.

That’s one, single, blade. 7 come in an injector pack for about 5 bucks.

Been using them since 2004 or earlier.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I use a safety razor and double edge blades. I like Feather or Shark brand blades and they cost about a dime ea when you buy them 100 at a time on Amazon.

And as a head shaver getting at least 3 uses per blade, it doesn't get any better.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started using Gillette razors over 50 years ago, but the last few years they turned to crap. The Mexican-made disposables chattered across my tough beard and slashed me up pretty good, so I switched to their "better" stuff, which never give me a suitably-close shave. I might as well use an electric razor.

The Schick Hydro 5 mentioned earlier seems to work better than the new Gillette stuff, giving a close shave just like I want, but not as close as the old Gillette (pre-Mexican) disposables.

Unfortunately, I lost my double-edge razor about 10 years ago, so after reading this thread I may look for a replacement. In the meantime, I'm happy with the Schick Hydro 5.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Just recently I went retro.

http://vanderhagen.com/TRADITIONAL-SAFETY-RAZOR-SET

The first shave, my face looked like hamburger helper. I am now comfortable with it.

The price of the new razors/cartridges is stupid.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One thing I discovered as an impoverished engineering student was to use warm not hot rinse water on the razor blades as it greatly increases the life span of blades. Thin stainless steel heated up and forced over an irregular load (ie your non-flat face and stubble spacing) is much more prone to permanent deformity if heated too much.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have to shave one weekend a month and two weeks a year, but the Hydro 3 is my go to. I have a hard time finding them sometimes so I will go to the Mach 3 if I have no other choice.

I noticed the biggest difference is with the expensive shaving cream. I will never go back to the cheap store bought cream.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Mach 3 for years. My preference was for the Turbo, which I guess had a sort of silicone insert surrounding the blades, which made the shave feel smoother. The OP mentioned the changes Gillette has made. A few months ago, Gillette replaced the Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo blades with one choice only—I believe they are calling it Turbo, but it’s not the same blade. Gillette, recognizing that they have several competitors undercutting them in price (like Harry’s), reconfigured the blades and lowered the price, albeit not substantially. I still use them.

I look at 5-blade razors and just think it 40% more gimmicky than 3. I shaved a long time with a double-edged razor, but I do think the Mach 3 is better, and I definitely cut myself more often with the double-edge.

Posts: 13256 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When the Fusion first came out, I had been using the Mach 3 and I was satisfied with it. A funny thing happened, My neighbor who at the time was stationed in Iraq wrote me a letter saying his unit got a sample Fusion in the mail. Mine was sitting in the package it came in still. My neighbor asked if I could buy as many as $100 would buy and could I ship them to Iraq. I don't remember how many I was able to buy, but I did send them and his friends were the best shaved bomb squad in his area.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get into Double-Edge razors. I got tired of paying the higher prices for Gillette and those other fancy cartridges. You'll save a ton of money going this route in the long-run.

For someone just starting I would get the following from ItalianBarber:

Razorock Tech2 (a very easy and mild razor for a beginner) $10
Or a Razorock Old Type Open Comb (slightly more aggressive but efficient razor) $15
A razor sampler pack (this will allow you to try a bunch of razors and find the one that works best for you.) $10
A decent brush (synthetic or boar is less expensive than badger) $10
Soap/Aftershave (I start friends out with ItalianBarber's house Amici soap and aftershave) $20
Blade Bank $2 (I like putting the old blades in here instead of just tossing it in the trash. I can dispose of the bank once it's filled)

Just to give you an idea, you can 100 razors for $10-15. If you change out that razor once a week, you'll have close to 2 year's supply.

Once I started it became another addiction. I enjoyed trying out new soaps and aftershaves.

Posts: 170 | Location: IL | Registered: February 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for someone to make a 7 bladed cartridge razor. 5 just isn't sufficient.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
After a lot of swearing and use of cutting tools, I finally got the razors out of the package. I don't know what the fuck Gillette was thinking when they decided how to package these things.

Theft concerns

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use schick xtreme 3 sensitive from Walmart...

Posts: 29 | Registered: March 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’ve used Mach 3 for years. My preference was for the Turbo, which I guess had a sort of silicone insert surrounding the blades, which made the shave feel smoother. The OP mentioned the changes Gillette has made. A few months ago, Gillette replaced the Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo blades with one choice only—I believe they are calling it Turbo, but it’s not the same blade. Gillette, recognizing that they have several competitors undercutting them in price (like Harry’s), reconfigured the blades and lowered the price, albeit not substantially. I still use them.

I look at 5-blade razors and just think it 40% more gimmicky than 3. I shaved a long time with a double-edged razor, but I do think the Mach 3 is better, and I definitely cut myself more often with the double-edge.

I used the five bladed Harry’s because they didn’t have a three. When she was shopping, the wife called and asked if I wanted a five blade or a seven blade? WTF!?! It took a while to get used to as it felt like shaving with a surfboard for a while. With it feeling so big and clumsy, I was afraid I’d cut myself. Never have. It wasn’t frequent with the Mach three, but it did happen. After a year or so with the Harry’s (following many years with the Mach three), I am used to it and dont mind it. If they were the same price and lasted the same, I’d probably use the Mach three, but I get a month out of a Harry’s blade and a week out of a Mach three blade.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Being an old "stick in the mud," I use a two blade Track-Two razor. Not very popular but I like it. Mostly need to buy blades on line because most stores don't stock them.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I was buying the Gillete three blade bulk packs at Costco for a while. Very long lasting, a great buy.
Don't currently have a Costco membership, found Gillete Sensor 2, pack of 52 on Amazon for 35 bucks. Seem just as good. If I get near the blade life I did from the triple blade I'm set for a few year.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Another delighted Dorco Pace 6 shaver here. Amazon.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
November '16, I switched to Dorco (they make Dollar Shave Club's too) after 2+ decades of getting gouged on my Sensor Excel. I'm very happy with their Pace 6 Plus

THIS ^^^

I tried Harry's razors and Dollar Shave Club/Dorco razors upon seeing both of them recommended here and was happy with the Dorco Pace 6 razors.

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Like several posters, I am still on the Trac II. I haven't seen these blades in a retail store for over ten years. Still available online with a little searching, thank goodness.

I have had to repair my handle at least twice. Last time I really did a job on it, screwed a sheet metal screw into the end of the plastic handle after soldering the blade carrier to it. I think this has lasted close to 20 years without showing any sign of failure. IIRC, I used to go through handles every other year or so, even the solid brass ones. The little sheet metal "fingers" that captured the blade carrier would fatigue, get wobbly, and fail, or the brass flanges would erode down to nothing.

I don't change blades often, once or twice a year, shave every day. I have three unused blades left, so I have to either find a source to buy more, or adopt a new system before 2020 rolls around. The real Gilette-brand blades keep their edge a lot longer than the aftermarket ones do. I can get a year out of a Gilette, maybe only 6-7 months out of an aftermarket blade.

I have occasionally tried other systems, but haven't found anything that I like as much, or as inexpensive.

Hey this is the 21st Century, why are we still using blades like the cavemen?!?!?!

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post