SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've been using Mach3 razors for awhile. Generally pretty happy but I've noticed that they've looked different over the years.

Today, I bought the green ones from Costco. After a lot of swearing and use of cutting tools, I finally got the razors out of the package. I don't know what the fuck Gillette was thinking when they decided how to package these things.

But it's got me considering other options for the next time I buy razors. And I found that there are differences between Mach3, Mach3 Turbo and Fusion blade cartridges.

Costco carries the Fusion blades as well. Are these any better to justify the higher price versus the Mach 3?

I'm also looking online at alternative brands. Dollar Shave and Harry's pops up in searches.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
November '16, I switched to Dorco (they make Dollar Shave Club's too) after 2+ decades of getting gouged on my Sensor Excel. I'm very happy with their Pace 6 Plus

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I use the Fusion. Although I have a beard, I still shave every day on my face and neck. The blade easily lasts a month and I do have thick facial hair.

My guess is the packaging is hard to open to try to prevent theft.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Switched to Wally world’s five bladed offering a few months ago. Much cheaper and almost as good.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I get 12 pack double edge disposables from wally world.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Same experience as the OP. I've been dismayed by the high cost of a simple item and also purchased the same thing at Costco. I swear that the package is so hard to open it's a cut hazard. I too would like a less expensive but still quality product. Thanks to others replying with their recommendations.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've tried Harry's twice. The blades don't seem to last nearly as long as Gillette's.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I’ll try Dollar or the Fusion next time. I’ll keep an eye for other options. Next blade purchase is in 3 months.

I’ll look into Dorco and Wallyworld 5 blades

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I use the Sensor or Sensor Excell and buy from Sams club where the price is more tolerable. Lately however, I’ve been using a double edge safety razor. I also shave in the shower a lot which makes the choice of razor less important.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'n still using the Trac II system, still very happy with it, but it is starting to get harder to find refills. Still waiting for the invention of Beard Go, wipe on, wipe off....

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
November '16, I switched to Dorco (they make Dollar Shave Club's too) after 2+ decades of getting gouged on my Sensor Excel. I'm very happy with their Pace 6 Plus

Another pace 6 plus user here. Sign up for emails and they have some great deals. Fraction of the price of the brand names but not scrafic in quality

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've started to wear stubble, but I do like harrys for a clean shave.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The Fusion blades last far longer than any others I have used. The Harry's are junk.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I tried and hated the Dorco blades and the harry's blades.

I have been much happier with the Fusion and Mach3 blades. Both work fine for me. I prefer the Mach 3 blades. Three blades is plenty for me and I prefer the smaller size of the head, but I really wish it had the trimmer blade on the back like the Fusion.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I use a safety razor and double edge blades. I like Feather or Shark brand blades and they cost about a dime ea when you buy them 100 at a time on Amazon.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I will definitely second switching to a double edge safety razor. You can get one for about $20-40 and a giant pack of blades is crazy cheap. Also, one of the best shaves I've had. Feather blades are super sharp or you can go for Personna which doesnt cut so close but they are still good. Do that and get yourself a good shave soap (not in a can) and brush (I've switched to synthetic)and you are golden.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
I like the Schick Hydro 5. Blades last just as long as the Fusion, but that thing is built to last and the blades aren't as expensive as Gillette's.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I got tired of the expense of Gillette and similar razors so I switched to a safety razor. I used that for about a year but got tired of the inconsistency in blades. One type of blade would work great but would cut terrible when I’d order the exact same blade again. I’ve been using Dollar Shave Club for a couple of years and really like it. The blades are cheap and last me forever.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I've been shaving my head 5-7 days a week since 1991, so I've tried a lot of different razors. The Fusion ProGlide is great and I used it for several years. I ran out one day and still had a Mach 3 blade and realized that I couldn't really tell a difference between the 2, so I switched back to using the cheaper Mach 3 daily.

I haven't tried the Dorco 6 blade mentioned in this thread, I may give that a try when my current stash of blades runs out.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up with about 100 dorco razor cartridges for free from a friend of mine. They work pretty good.....maybe a 7.5 out of 10. BUT the mach 3 fusions are by far the best ones and do a closer shave and last about 30% longer. I only get about 5 shaves out of the dorco's.....but shave like every other day and have a very course beard.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post