New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go Karts Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
I again offered to buy my son a dirt bike this weekend and again he said he wasn't interested. I was beginning to wonder if he was really a boy (don't get your panties in a twist... kidding).

So we're out and about today and he sees this kid on an off road go kart and he's sprung. So, I offered to buy him one and he was truly excited, I guess bikes just don't do it for him.

My dilemma now is that I know next to nothing about go karts and what is a quality product and what is not. He's 12 now and he likes the ones that go fast. I'm all for the ABILITY to go fast (50MPH or so) but I would like to be able to control when that happens so I'm looking for one with a governor. Anybody out there in SIGforumland got any advise?

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Check out the 170cc Polaris RZR.

https://rzr.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-170/

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've been taking my 10 year old to an indoor go kart track that uses electric karts. I think they go up to 30mph for kids. He has an absolute ball.

I'd probably try a rental place a couple of times before dropping $$$ on a real cart. It will give a controlled environment to learn the basics, and it will prove if the interest will last.

I had a cart when I was a kid (and loved it) but my parents decided it was too dangerous. But I was allowed to ride a 3 wheeler all around the farm with no helmet at wide-assed-open. Go figure Confused

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Screw those indoor electric tracks. I went to one once and got whiplash from hitting someone who'd gone straight into a wall and bounced back directly at me. The friend I'd gone with injured his leg and had to get a brace. Walls = Death.

Go to an outdoor gas karting track. Here's one in your area: https://nolamotor.com/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Check out the 170cc Polaris RZR.

We have those things in our neighborhood like flies at a picnic. Neat concept, except I wish they would take them out to the desert like they're designed for, rather than riding up and down the street making noise.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post