SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bad is the flu in your area?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How bad is the flu in your area? Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My dad got it 2 weeks ago. They caught it early and the doc gave him Tamaflu to take.

Fast forward to last Wednesday. I’m in a meeting and my wife calls me to tell me my dad is in the hospital with double influenza and pneumonia. Apparently he didn’t eat or drink for four days prior and fell twice trying to to to the bathroom. They gave him 5 bags of fluids to rehydrate him.

As of last night, he’s doing better. He managed to eat yesterday and hold the meals down. He’s on steroids and breathing treatments to help the pneumonia.

My dad is 85 and he got a flu shot this year. Luckily he is in good shape for his age. He’s not out of the woods yet but the signs are encouraging.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
From my timeline and symptoms they feel that I have the flu but too late to prescribe Tamiflu so it's antibiotics...

Were you diagnosed with an infection?

I’m guessing prophylactic antibiotics based on risk factors.

Colour me sceptical.

But I've a jaundiced view of antibiotics and the way they're prescribed in western medicine. Many years ago I got sick during flu season, not once or twice, but four times. (It's rare for me to get sick even once.) During each of the first three times I was prescribed antibiotics. In each case I'd get sick again about two weeks after finishing the antibiotics. Upon the fourth occurrence my wife suggested I try an alternative. I did. I got well just as fast and did not get sick again.

Could have been coincidence, but I've followed the same protocol each time, since, with success.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Two deaths of people indirectly connected to me. Coworkers, horse trainer's father died. Local business, one of the gals there had a friend's one year old pass.

Two deaths in the last week both otherwise healthy.

I feel worse today than I did yesterday. Just coughed stuff up for twenty minutes straight. Not the worst I've ever felt, but definitely top five.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Closing schools due to number of flu cases, several kids have died due to the flu, they are saying that this is as bad as the swine flu was several years ago.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the good thing to come out of this, is that next season's flu shot will contain this season's flu strains. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting article on Tamiflu on its effectiveness, testing for approval, and possible dangers:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/bl...nd-abnormal-behavior

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky as I haven't has a cold or Flu this season, or last season. I try to avoid shopping Malls, large crowds or contact with young children. I'm a member of a small 24/7 uncrowded fitness center and I wash hands often.

Maybe riding a motorcycle in the fresh air helps, I don't know, but I've been lucky so far.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Here is an interesting article on Tamiflu on its effectiveness, testing for approval, and possible dangers:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/bl...nd-abnormal-behavior

Be prepared to be labelled gullible for giving even the illusion of lending credence to such blatant medical heresy.

(And thanks for the post. I was not aware of Tamiflu's dangers. I simply questioned its efficacy.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
Virulent and mild. It's everywhere. Half my daughter's class had it last week and now my aon has it. Good news is it passes in about 3-4 days and symptoms are congestion and a mild fever.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I got it last Friday and it took me out for almost a week. Worst flu i have ever gotten and it was close to when I had walking pneumonia in college. It's no joke. Wash your hands like you are going into surgery.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:
Virulent and mild. It's everywhere. Half my daughter's class had it last week and now my aon has it. Good news is it passes in about 3-4 days and symptoms are congestion and a mild fever.
My doc said there are 4 strains going around. Therefore, the mild version your son had that passed in 3 to 4 days may not be the case on the other 3 strains.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Just getting over it. My daughter brought it home, and was sick for 4 solid days. Just as she was getting over it, I caught it; it must be the mild version- temp only up to just shy of 102, but I could eat just fine. Chest and sinus congestion will be around for a week or two, but this morning already less achy.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Flu killer? Japanese experimental drug promises 24-hour action

http://www.foxbusiness.com/fea...-24-hour-action.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Flu killer? Japanese experimental drug promises 24-hour action

http://www.foxbusiness.com/fea...-24-hour-action.html

Oh man, FINGERS CROSSED!!!

That, in combination with the universal flu vaccine that's currently in the works, means that the flu might just be something we tell our kids about some day.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine went from a virus to the flu to pneumonia.

I feel like I've been drug behind a truck over a mine field.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:
My doc said there are 4 strains going around. Therefore, the mild version your son had that passed in 3 to 4 days may not be the case on the other 3 strains.

It's not. Had it here, caught it at work (crap, crap, crap). For 3 days it's like I was in some kind of altered mental state (how could anyone tell?). Alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen every 3 hours is great for fever. I did that for 2 days.

I've been 'over it' for a week and still feel like crap and coughing crap out of my lungs. Mild, my left butt cheek. I haven't had flu hit me that hard since the 90's. As in, the Clinton years.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well i was getting over the previous flu, about 15 days. Bam, hit with green snot and fever last night.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
Work on your reading comprehension, including context.

Hint is that it's a poor idea to overgeneralise from very small sample sizes.

My reading comprehension is just fine. There is no indication of sarcasm in your post. If that was your intent, I apologize. I just get really tired of people thinking flu vaccine gave them the flu.

So do I.

I'm sorry there, I thought the sarcasm was too heavy already. My bad, written words come across differently.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Well the good thing to come out of this, is that next season's flu shot will contain this season's flu strains. God Bless Smile

No it won’t. That’s not the way the CDC makes the determination, nor should it be b/c the immunity of the population has already been built up by the strain’s prevalence.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m finally starting to feel better.

I blame that Obama impersonator for giving me the flu on the plane the other week.

Everyone in my office has it now.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post