SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bad is the flu in your area?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How bad is the flu in your area? Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Really bad in the PDX Vancouver area. Had to take the wife in to the ER today on a different, and unavoidable matter. ER lobby jam packed with people in masks, she got in after triage, to be put in a bed in the isle. All ER rooms filled, no beds available in the hospital proper, ambulance runs being diverted to who knows where.
She is still there, as they want to admit her, dunno how that is going to work out.
I don't want to hang around in the petri dish with all the typhoid Mary's.

It's scary to see how tenuous our health care system is.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
It's been all around my neck of the woods. Just before it hit really close to home, I had strep and a double ear infection. I missed the Flu despite being around several groups of people who seemed to pass it around.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
It's bad. I'm sitting at home with it right now.

Me, too.

I've never had it before. I know now, flu sucks.

This past October, during the annual checkup, I asked Doc about it. His answer was [somewhat flattering]: "As healthy as you are, you don't need to worry about it. Heck, I don't even take it."

So I took his word and off I went. I haven't gotten the flu shot in several years, so I figured this year would be no different.

It's different, by golly. Sunday and Monday were spent weak, sore, and coughing. Tuesday morning I went to the local urgent care... thirty minutes later I was at the pharmacy picking up Tamiflu and cough syrup.

I have plenty to do here at the house, and Doc kicked me out of work for a week. Now I just wish I felt better so I could get some things done!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
It must be bad around the Cincy area. Today, one of our hospitals sent out a message "at capacity" and went on diversion. It only lasted a few hours.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom is being released from the hospital and is headed back to the nursing home. She was in the hospital a total of 4 days due to the flu. She’s one tough old lady. Unfortunately lung cancer and dementia are both progressing so we will be dealing with that for a while. Radiation and chemo are out of the question at her age and with her health issues. She was not a smoker but beat breast cancer about 9 years ago; maybe a cell or two found their way to her lungs. I pray she doesn’t suffer from the cancer. She doesn’t deserve that.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
18 people have died from the flu in Dallas this season. Luckily we’re near Fort Worth Frown Its worse this year for sure. Keep you hands clean!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Well this is interesting article I read yesterday. They are saying that the flu can be transmitted by breathing the air of people that have had a flu shot in the last two years.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/bl...-fold-study-suggests

Take the article for what it is worth but I avoid going to the stores during flu season and when I do I avoid contact and wash my hands when I get home.

So several weeks ago, I determined I needed a new bottle of Sambucol and lucked out when I found the last bottle at CVS.

So several days ago I start to get a sore throat so a few doses of Sambucol and the sore throat is gone.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The entire, and I mean entire, cold/cough/flu medicine supply at my local Wal-Mart was completely sold out yesterday.

Ive had a persistent cough for about a month. Might need to go get that checked out soon.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Well, I've got it now. Got a prescription from the doc for Tamiflu, but finding a pharmacy that has any in stock is proving to be difficult.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
94 dead in Arkansas, related to the flu.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My kids' school closed last Friday and yesterday. 20% of the students were out on Wednesday and it didn't improve Thursday. So many teachers were out, they could get enough subs to cover the classes.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t know of anyone in my neighborhood that has the flu. But my local Rite Aid pharmacy seldom has flu vaccine available now (but I got my shot some time ago). There are two versions: a 3-strain and a 4-strain.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would be taking vitamin D3. I have read that even kids had low levels of vitamin D3. It cost less then 15 cents a day and also is important for other health functions.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I am very glad I got the shot Dec 4 as wife and daughter both had the flu. Wife diagnosed with type A via test. They got over it a few weeks ago and I am still fine. Smile

Wife is a pharmacist at a local hospital and a week ago she said for a while they had to turn away new patients for admission other than major emergency. I think they have some open rooms now though. HUGE shortage of IV bags too.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
They just closed my kids’ school for the next two days.

About 130, probably 1/5 or 1/4 of the student body, we’re out today. And several teachers.

Both of my kids have been out with strep, anf flu is rampant, along with norovirus.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
A good reason to have a good relationship with your Doc. Have the Tamiflu or whatever, before you need it. No one wants to see a sick person in the waiting room. Lol

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Flu broke me for about 2 weeks. Still feel like hell, but better than before. Never had any sickness get me like that before.....When Tamiflu can be found here again, I'll grab some for the shelf......Hoping its a one time thing and will not need it.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
My daughter (13) wasn't feeling so well last night. Checked her temp and it was 100.1. Give her some Nyquill and ibuprofren and she went to bed.

Her mother told me she had the flu shot for this year. I asked my daughter and she said she didn't get the flu shot this year. The ex then called the doctor this morning and found out she didn't get the flu shot this year. Roll Eyes

Her mother took her to the doctor today and they confirmed it was the flu. Gave her Tamiflu, has to take it for 5 days.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Just found out a grade school classmate and friend died Sunday from complications from the flu.
63 years old.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post