SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bad is the flu in your area?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
How bad is the flu in your area? Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

By Dr. Mercola



Mercola is a supplement pushing clown that makes Dr Oz look credible.

Saying that it is sepsis or secondary infection brought on by the flu rather than the actual flu virus that kills you is like saying a bullet in your heart isn't really a problem because it's the blood loss and lack of oxygen to the brain that does you in.

Do what you want to prevent it. Vaccine, Vitamin C, isolation, hand sanitizer, all of the above, but understand that the consequences of becoming infected can kill you deader than a doornail. Being young and healthy isn't necessarily going to save you. Twice as many US soldiers in WWI died from the flu as from enemy action.
 
Posts: 6863 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Had a 35 year old otherwise healthy female patient die, came in with an oxygen saturation of 68%. She was in ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.) She has never had a flu shot. The people most protected are the ones who get the flu shot every year. Lots of admissions this year. The whole country is running low on IV fluids. Looking at ER visits nationally in comparison to the last decade this year has been very very bad. Tamiflu is mildly effective at that. We don’t prescribe it to any who isn’t under 2, over 65, pregnant, or has significant co-morbidities. If symptoms have been present for more thann48 hours then it is useless.


_______________________________________________
Use thumb-size bullets to create fist-size holes.
 
Posts: 12126 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
MNSIG...I really could care less what you think of Dr. Mercola. The FDA is the real killer in healthcare issues by going after people that look for other alternatives.

As far as Dr. OZ, he gets his information from others and I question his recommendations at times.

You have to remember that doctors do not get any education on nutritional supplements but some doctors seek it out on their own when drugs do not work.

It is people like you that have posted BS opinions without any references that have run other people off this message board. I put up with this because the doctors were responsible for my brothers dead at age 40 and they were also responsible for shorten my fathers life. So I continue to help others that have health problems since I have studied these problems since the early 80's when I noticed a co-worker taking vitamins.



"Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant. If you get his attention, he’ll be awake, bite your face off, and sit on you.".. Newt Gingrich.

41
 
Posts: 9998 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
^^^^^^^
Thanks VAVAGUY Good stuff! Smile



What is even better is that protocol he created can not be patented by any drug company. Here is another example of unconventional treatment for brain injury using high dosage of fish oil. God Bless Smile

https://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19...-injuries/index.html


That articles reinforces what I have studied. Omega 3 also helps your joints, body organs, and increases your life span by reducing the shortening of your telomeres which determines how long you live. I take 4 grams a day and use the Life Extension brand which has the Olive Extract and Sesame seed lignans.

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...ignans-Olive-Extract



"Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant. If you get his attention, he’ll be awake, bite your face off, and sit on you.".. Newt Gingrich.

41
 
Posts: 9998 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
It's gone through the schools and stores here above Pittsburgh. All of my family get the flu shots yearly.

My older son brought it home from school. He got over it in about eight/nine days (doc prescribed Tamiflu on his first day of flu).

I got it afterwards and it kicked my butt. No real fever, but the congestion and drainage was astounding. Couldn't sleep- too much sinus drainage and coughing. This flu had a mind fog with it that made it hard to focus.

Only way I found to get any sleep was Alka Seltzer day/night severe cold and flu formula. If I took one of those I could get about three maybe four hours of sleep before the drainage resumed.

I feel much better now (11 days after) with the residual stuff draining out. I was in the Cranberry PA Walmart yesterday and it looked like 60% of the customers were red-faced and coughing.
 
Posts: 787 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Kicked my ass last week, first time in 18 years. I remember because, at the time, my wife was pregnant with our youngest.

Went to Urgentcare yesterday morn because my lungs weren't coming around very well. Diagnosed bronchitis/pre-pneumonia, fun not.

Hoping the scripts I got get it gone quick!!


_________________________________________________

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton
 
Posts: 1912 | Location: Western New York  | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
It's gone through the schools and stores here above Pittsburgh. All of my family get the flu shots yearly.

My older son brought it home from school. He got over it in about seven days (doc prescribed Tamiflu on his first day of flu).

I got it afterwards and it kicked my butt. No real fever, but the congestion and drainage was astounding. Couldn't sleep- too much sinus drainage and coughing. This flu had a mind fog with it that made it hard to focus.

Only way I found to get any sleep was Alka Seltzer day/night severe cold and flu formula. If I took one of those I could get about three maybe four hours of sleep before the drainage resumed.

I feel much better now (11 days after) with the residual stuff draining out. I was in the Cranberry PA Walmart yesterday and it looked like 60% of the customers were red-faced and coughing.

Those symptoms describe my situation almost to the "T". I went to the Dr. this last Wednesday, was told it was URI (upper respiratory infection), a virus, so no antibiotics, just Clairton, and some Benzonatate caps for cough suppression. Today makes day 7 for me, sure hope my bug runs the same course as yours, and that I feel better in 3-4 more days.

And yes, I too had the flu shot this year.


____________________________
NRA Life Member, GOA, MGO Annual Member, Annual member MRPA
 
Posts: 10958 | Location: MI | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I read the obituaries and people are dropping like flies. January and February are always bad months but it seems like the deaths have doubled this year during this time frame.

I have not had the flu but one time since the mid 80's when I learned about Sambucol from Dr David Williams health newsletter.

In 1993, a co-worker called and wanted to know what I used for the flu and I told him about Sambucol which was only available by mail order at the time. I gave him my last bottle and he was to order a replacement and never did. So about several weeks later I got the flu and missed work for the first time. It was so bad that I had to go to the doctor which costs me $150. Mad He never did reimburse me for the Sambucol. Lesson learned.

Then some time in the 90's, I learned about the Life Extension Foundation and started taking vitamin D3 and having my blood tested every year. Vitamin D3 has a huge effect not only on your immune system but also effects the production of other body enzymes, etc produced by the body for overall health.

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...dless-Deaths/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...2007/10/awsi/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...-by-11-Years/Page-01

If the FDA would get people to take vitamin D3, the healthcare costs would be greatly reduced and people would live longer.

I also use tooth paste which has grapefruit seed extract which kills the germs in your mouth.



"Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant. If you get his attention, he’ll be awake, bite your face off, and sit on you.".. Newt Gingrich.

41
 
Posts: 9998 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I read the obituaries and people are dropping like flies. January and February are always bad months but it seems like the deaths have doubled this year during this time frame.

I have not had the flu but one time since the mid 80's when I learned about Sambucol from Dr David Williams health newsletter.

In 1993, a co-worker called and wanted to know what I used for the flu and I told him about Sambucol which was only available by mail order at the time. I gave him my last bottle and he was to order a replacement and never did. So about several weeks later I got the flu and missed work for the first time. It was so bad that I had to go to the doctor which costs me $150. Mad He never did reimburse me for the Sambucol. Lesson learned.

Then some time in the 90's, I learned about the Life Extension Foundation and started taking vitamin D3 and having my blood tested every year. Vitamin D3 has a huge effect not only on your immune system but also effects the production of other body enzymes, etc produced by the body for overall health.

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...dless-Deaths/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...2007/10/awsi/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...-by-11-Years/Page-01

If the FDA would get people to take vitamin D3, the healthcare costs would be greatly reduced and people would live longer.

I also use tooth paste which has grapefruit seed extract which kills the germs in your mouth.


41 - Would you mind sharing the complete list of your daily supplements regimen? What do you take besides D3?
 
Posts: 527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
By Dr. Mercola

Mercola is a supplement pushing clown that makes Dr Oz look credible.

Is he less credible than a health care system that first claims a flu vaccine is only 10% effective, then, literally overnight, decides it's 30% effective, but then, when a neighbouring country's health care system says "20%, at best--maybe only 10%," says "well, maybe they're closer..."

And all the while the officials of the US health care system are saying "well, even if the vaccine is not very effective, you should get it, anyway, because it may lesson symptoms of the flu you get against which it's not effective."

Say what?!?!

How is anybody to believe a damn thing these jokers say?

Oh, and this is good, too. Release panicked advisory that everybody who's in a "high-risk" category (which, the way they've been going on, seems to be everybody) GO OUT AND GET TAMIFLU RIGHT NOW!" Then, a couple days later "TAMIFLU IS IN SHORT SUPPLY IN SOME PLACES!" Yeah, like nobody saw that coming

God forbid this nation ever has a real, live, honest-to-God pandemic, cuz we'll be royally fucked seven ways from Sunday.

Meanwhile, where the flu has become widespread in schools they're doing a really astonishing thing: Essentially quarantining the flu carriers by way of shutting down the schools.

No! Really? Take the carriers out of the general population to limit the spread of disease? What a novel concept.

Here's a really wild idea: The instant you feel a bit off, knowing there's a virulent strain of flu going around, stay the fuck home. If your child appears to be exhibiting the beginning symptoms keep the little walking germ factory the fuck home.

How the hell did we become so brain-dead, as a society, that we came to think running around spreading germs was not a blindingly stupid, thoroughly anti-social thing to do?

One of my best friends, who is in a true high-risk category, caught this crap because a family member brought their sick child to a family gathering, dosed-up on meds, then, as they were leaving, thought to tell everybody "Oh, btw, little Johnny's just getting over something." This of course after hugs all around earlier in the day.

The wife of friends of ours did the same damn thing. My wife catching this thing can mean a death sentence for her, as she's allergic to a broad swath of antibiotics and other medicines.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
 
Posts: 12950 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:Meanwhile, where the flu has become widespread in schools they're doing a really astonishing thing: Essentially quarantining the flu carriers by way of shutting down the schools.

No! Really? Take the carriers out of the general population to limit the spread of disease? What a novel concept.

Here's a really wild idea: The instant you feel a bit off, knowing there's a virulent strain of flu going around, stay the fuck home. If your child appears to be exhibiting the beginning symptoms keep the little walking germ factory the fuck home.

How the hell did we become so brain-dead, as a society, that we came to think running around spreading germs was not a blindingly stupid, thoroughly anti-social thing to do?


I absolutely agree. Same goes for Norovirus or other nasty bugs that tend to spread quickly and easily.

I'm going to refrain from further comment on the credibility of various doctors or organizations. These discussions usually go the way of police cover ups, shooting dogs, etc.
 
Posts: 6863 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Is this year’s flu epidemic affecting one age group more over others, or is it fairly evenly spread out in the population?

During the Spanish Flu of 1918-19, it seemed to hit those in the 18-40 age group more, but then again, that was also the age of the soldiers in WW1 which were hit the hardest when in close quarters (trenches, barracks, hospitals, etc.).

Other than a few in my age group (early- to mid-Boomers [1946-1960]) having flu but also other health issues, I haven’t seen many out with flu. Granted, this is anecdotal but certain age groups seem to do better than others and this could be based on other immunizations over their lifespan. The current crop of younguns (6-25) often didn’t get “shots” when younger, as many of their parents were reluctant based on conflicting information and “New Age” medicine issues.


---------------------
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain
 
Posts: 1340 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
41 - Would you mind sharing the complete list of your daily supplements regimen? What do you take besides D3?


Salty Dawg, I don't know if you are taking any medications so each individual is different.

If you subscribe to the Life Extension Foundation or read and search their website you will learn what is best for you. It costs $50 for a yearly membership but they give you credit towards their supplements.

If you read the links to my posts, you will see what some of the things they recommend for different problems. You also have to determine what is cost effective determined by your budget. I spend about $1200 which includes my blood test which runs about $200.

Their monthly magazine is priceless and you will find yourself keep notes.



"Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant. If you get his attention, he’ll be awake, bite your face off, and sit on you.".. Newt Gingrich.

41
 
Posts: 9998 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
41 - Would you mind sharing the complete list of your daily supplements regimen? What do you take besides D3?


Salty Dawg, I don't know if you are taking any medications so each individual is different.

If you subscribe to the Life Extension Foundation or read and search their website you will learn what is best for you. It costs $50 for a yearly membership but they give you credit towards their supplements.

If you read the links to my posts, you will see what some of the things they recommend for different problems. You also have to determine what is cost effective determined by your budget. I spend about $1200 which includes my blood test which runs about $200.

Their monthly magazine is priceless and you will find yourself keep notes.


Thanks for the feedback, but I was just actually curious about how much stuff you take and how much you spend on it. I tend to be pretty skeptical of anyone pushing any sort of supplement regimen. Do whatever makes you happy though.
 
Posts: 527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Wife and daughter both take D3 supplement and got type A flu. I got the shot and did not.


“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”
― Benjamin Franklin
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."
― Margaret Thatcher
 
Posts: 8086 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Here's a really wild idea: The instant you feel a bit off, knowing there's a virulent strain of flu going around, stay the fuck home. If your child appears to be exhibiting the beginning symptoms keep the little walking germ factory the fuck home.

How the hell did we become so brain-dead, as a society, that we came to think running around spreading germs was not a blindingly stupid, thoroughly anti-social thing .


While I strongly agree with everything else you said, this part gets a +1000.
 
Posts: 3478 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Proud member of
the vanning collective
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Terrible and it has my wife and I pretty nervous.
Our 2 year old and 7 month old tested positive 2 weeks ago. They were doing better then about 2 days ago they both are now sick again.
Our 2 year old is just cranky, snotty, and coughing with not much of a fever.
The 7 month old is all of that but his breathing while not labored yet is very wheezy and crackly. Only a slight fever.
A lot of reading around here is the the kids that are dying are dying after the flu is gone and they are sick again.

The oldest boy we sent to the grandparents the first go round and made it with not flu. He is now back with them not to pick this round up.


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 18617 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. This will pass.
 
Posts: 668 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Wife and daughter both take D3 supplement and got type A flu. I got the shot and did not.


How much do they take? The FDA only recommends 400 IU while you need to test your blood to see what your levels are.

I take 5000 IU a day and my levels are still on the low end of the recommended range.



"Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant. If you get his attention, he’ll be awake, bite your face off, and sit on you.".. Newt Gingrich.

41
 
Posts: 9998 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Bad around here, several deaths including a 16 year old girl.
 
Posts: 13 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bad is the flu in your area?

© SIGforum 2018