SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Navy's newest destroyer needs new engine replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy's newest destroyer needs new engine replacement Login/Join 
posted
You can make this stuff up, virtually every new ship that's come out of the yards has had some internal system go wrong. This is particularly acute with designs that were a result of the 'transformative era' of defense building. They're gonna have to cut a hole into the side of a brand new ship, which already has been plagued with electrical problems, to pull-out and replace the engine. Roll Eyes

Second Zumwalt Destroyer Needs New Engine After Turbine Blades Damaged in Sea Trials
quote:
Zumwalt-class destroyer Michael Monsoor (DDG-1001) will need to have a main turbine engine replaced before the ship can sail to San Diego for its combat system activation, after suffering damage to the turbine blades during acceptance trials, the Program Executive Officer for Ships told USNI News.

Rear Adm. William Galinis said today that Monsoor remained in Bath, Maine, for a post-delivery availability and that, “regrettably, coming off her acceptance trials we found a problem with one of the main turbine engines that drives one of the main generators; we’re having to change it out. So we’re working very closely with Bath Iron Works, with Rolls-Royce to get that engine changed out before she leaves Bath later this fall and sails to San Diego to start her combat system activation availability next year.”

After his remarks at a Navy League breakfast event, Galinis told USNI News that the MT30 marine gas turbine showed no signs of malfunctioning during the sea trials, but the damage was found in a post-trials inspection.

“The problem we had coming off of acceptance trials was actually the turbine blades – so think of a jet engine on the side of an airplane, the blades that you see – we actually had some dings, some damage to those turbine blades,” he said.
“We found that after the sea trial through what we call a borescope inspection, where we actually put a visual and optical device inside the turbine to kind of look at this. And we determined that it was best to change that turbine out before we actually transited the ship to San Diego.”

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
FOD Kills.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
They placed guns on a ship that take no known ammunition. Then cancelled the ammunition development? Seriously, this is where my tax dollars go?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Used to be a USNI member and read a lot of their articles, about 8 years ago it just got too depressing... It's NOT USNI's fault, it's the Navy's fault.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the WWII subs with HOR engines.

We sent those subs into combat against the IJN with utterly unreliable engines. One sub limped home on the tiny auxiliary engine because all four HOR main engines failed.

You'd think the Navy would have learned that lesson.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It failed during acceptance trials so don't accept it and stop paying bills, but be open to reconsidering once engines are replaced and ready for new acceptance tests.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who pays for this new engine? Do Navy ships come with a 3yr/36k warranty?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Damn. I haven't been in the shipbuilding/engineering loop for a while, but what happened to the GE LM2500's that served us so well?
I don't recall any major issues like this on the ships I served on (even though I was an OPS guy and not Engineering).

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would think if it failed acceptance trials, the shipbuilder an/or engine manufacturer would be on the hook.

quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The wanted more power than the LM2500 can put out. GE has a new engine, the LM6000, but I think it's only recently been ported to marine use.

quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
Damn. I haven't been in the shipbuilding/engineering loop for a while, but what happened to the GE LM2500's that served us so well?
I don't recall any major issues like this on the ships I served on (even though I was an OPS guy and not Engineering).

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The engine in question is the Rolls-Royce MT30, a marine gas turbine engine based on Rolls-Royce Trent 800 aero engine. The MT30 retains 80% commonality with the Trent 800, the engine for the Boeing 777. The maximum power rating is 40 MW and minimum efficient power 25MW. To replace the engine as that it is so large, a special rail system is needed to remove the engine and put in a new one. That system hadn’t yet been designed when the Navy realized it needed one, so engineers had to finish the design and then install the system. WTF?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

For now, because the engines are government-furnished equipment, the Navy will have to pay for the removal of the engine and the installation of the new one. If the problem turns out to be a Rolls-Royce manufacturing or quality assurance issue, the Navy could look to recoup that money from them.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
They're gonna have to cut a hole into the side of a brand new ship, which already has been plagued with electrical problems, to pull-out and replace the engine. Roll Eyes

Gas Turbines on every Naval surface combatant I have ever been on are removable throuh the intake ducting as a planned maintenance action. you dont need to cut a hole in the ship, the railings for removal are pre installed and it just take some chain falls and fittings.

removing and replacing takes about 2 days.

I have not been on the Zumwalt, but that is the procedure on the Spruance class, Ticonderoga class cruisers and all flights of DDG 51 class ships.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Yeah, if it wasn't my tax dollars at work, I'd be laughing out loud at this!!! Jasper is a good option for many situations...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
1.4 Billion and the fact that we have no ammunition for the AGS aside...

While I appreciate engineering, testing and growing pains with new "Models" and red-tape... My take away from this is in 8-10 years later we still do not have a ship capable of sending lead down-range. Maybe it just wasn't a priority, but damn that seems awfully long.

from Wikipedia:
Construction[edit]
...Assembly of modules for Michael Monsoor began in March 2010 .[9] The keel laying and authentication ceremony for Michael Monsoor was held at the General Dynamics-Bath Iron Works shipyard on 23 May 2013 .[10] Michael Monsoor was launched on 21 June 2016.[11] She was delivered to the Navy in April 2018...

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
They're gonna have to cut a hole into the side of a brand new ship, which already has been plagued with electrical problems, to pull-out and replace the engine. Roll Eyes

Gas Turbines on every Naval surface combatant I have ever been on are removable throuh the intake ducting as a planned maintenance action. you dont need to cut a hole in the ship, the railings for removal are pre installed and it just take some chain falls and fittings.

removing and replacing takes about 2 days.

I have not been on the Zumwalt, but that is the procedure on the Spruance class, Ticonderoga class cruisers and all flights of DDG 51 class ships.

Considering they hadn't come up with a engine rail system to do such a replacement and the unique single-deck house design of the class, I'm assuming they may have to cut through the hull. Hopefully, these things are considered during the design process however, those classes of ships you named were all designed back in the 70's & 80's, which was an entirely different era.

Images of the recent LCS-1 engine replacement come to mind.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
The Brits new destroyers can't operate in the tropic. When the temps hit 120, the engine for the generators overheats.

The OEM stated, "well, you didn't specify it would need to function in those temperatures"

And who was the manufacturer? Rolls Royce

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
The Brits new destroyers can't operate in the tropic. When the temps hit 120, the engine for the generators overheats.

The OEM stated, "well, you didn't specify it would need to function in those temperatures"

And who was the manufacturer? Rolls Royce

For the record, the problem part was the engine intercooler made by Northrop Grumman Marine.