SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks to Close 8,000 Stores for Racial Bias Training
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks to Close 8,000 Stores for Racial Bias Training Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
The real problem will be the precedent being set for every tweaker to be able to use a businesses bathroom. After listening to Seattle/SeaTac Leo/aid scanner for the past week, it's already enough of a problem.

Yeah, the ship is sinking pretty quickly. I travel there for work 2-5 times a year and the change is shocking.

Tweakers at every service station, homeless camping out everywhere.

Can't say it makes me sad, idiots out there have been voting policies that allow it to happen. Fuck em, let the idiots run the asylum.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Friday after first of the month had a new tweaker call every 10-15 minutes, increadible drain on resources. Not to mention the burden of police breaking down bathroom doors to haul out dead tweakers.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By falling on their sword over this, Starbucks is admitting that it was "racist" to ask a couple of free-loading black men to leave the store. This implies that white people doing the exact same thing would have been ignored. So Starbucks is basically saying it's OK to loiter in their stores using their bathrooms, wifi, etc. without paying for any product or service. I hope a lot more people start taking them up on the offer.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm confused. Isn't Starbucks a pretty leftest place? I'm assuming most if not all of their employees lean this way.

And aren't the leftest the ones that are accusing others of being racists? The ones preaching tolerance and acceptance to everybody else?

So why do they need a day of training? How can they have committed an act of racism so egregious that so many people need to attend reeducation camp? From the way they act they are already experts on the subject. So which is it? Do they know so much they can tell the rest of us how we need to act, or do they know so little they need to shut up and get trained?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
"Panera should offer free coffee that day to all who are shut out by this 'training'"

I'm very curious if there could be a giant spike in Panera's revenue that day.

I'd be tempted to buy my coffee at Panera that morning. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard a good one toady:

"Panera should offer free coffee that day to all who are shut out by this 'training'"

Panera coffee

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Friday after first of the month had a new tweaker call every 10-15 minutes, increadible drain on resources. Not to mention the burden of police breaking down bathroom doors to haul out dead tweakers.

Tweakers do not normally die, they just get spun up and come out of the bathroom 100% certain they can hear...some noise that causes a massive overly emotional response and run out of the store.

Dopers are the ones you find on the floor with a scorching case of livor mortis.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, I shit you not, it is Eric Holder who will be running the Starbucks Reeducation Camps that day.

You just know it's going to be an entire day of beating up on Whitey. Roll Eyes

Physicists teach physics, so I guess racists teach racism, at least in Starbucks' world.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
As long as that worker wasn't discriminated against for protected class reasons, they can fire her for any reason they want.
Oh for god sake. She's a woman, and with the #metoo movement in full swing, how much effort do you think it would take to convince some folks the horrible management at Starbucks canned her because 1) she's a woman, and 2) they needed a scapegoat. Starbuck's legal defense team would never let that challenge anywhere near a courtroom.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
And, I shit you not, it is Eric Holder who will be running the Starbucks Reeducation Camps that day.

You just know it's going to be an entire day of beating up on Whitey. Roll Eyes

Physicists teach physics, so I guess racists teach racism, at least in Starbucks' world.

Sidenote, math was invented by white males, and is therefore both sexist and racist.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May 29th- Does that mean they'll be talking about this travesty for the next 6 weeks or we'll forget about it by then to only be reminded on the 29th starbucks is a racist store.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howard Schulz, the Starbucks Executive Director is an NMU Alumni and occasionally he graces us with his magnificence. Watching people fall all over him is nauseating. Marquette Co. was the only county in the UP to vote Clinton. People like Schulz is the reason why.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I hope Barnes and Noble never institutes this loitering business. They couldn't care less if you come in every day and read entire novels without paying.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They are going to be browbeating these Starbucks workers with this BULLSHIT and trendy "Unconscious Bias" crap.

Unconscious Bias = all you Whitey are raycis and don't even know it yet.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Starbucks to Close 8,000 Stores for Racial Bias Training

I hope the 8,000 Stores Close, and never re-open.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
My guess is that these were two guys looking to advance an agenda. They had every opportunity to defuse the situation. All they had to do was spend $1 and buy a cookie or shot of espresso and the store would have been happy to have them sit and enjoy it. Or they could have left when the manager asked them to. Or they could have left when the cops asked them to. Instead they chose to get arrested so that they could be national news. And now they are.

OR...They copped an attitude with the SB employee right off the start.

Employee call the cops, they arrive.

Two guys now have an attitude with the cops; fail/refuse to produce ID, refuse to leave premises.

Police have no alternative but to arrest them for Trespass.

OR...this was a BLM staged deal, or staged to get some money from Starbucks? They immediately had an attorney.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We occasionally stop at a Starbucks. There seem to be regulars that meet up and grab extra chairs. Then there are those sitting as couples and singletons. Point being, getting a seat, much less a table, can be difficult.
In this case, the two men had to have sat there a while. Enough to be noticed, spoken too and for the police to arrive. Looking a police response times and priority, I'd guess it was more then 10 minutes. You have to also wonder about the toilet. I don't remember a Starbucks where you need a code or key to get in. Last, the two men said they were meeting a real estate agent. In fact, they called the agent when this started. Did they arrive early? Was the agent just outside or did he have to rush there?
Could this be a higher crime area that has problems with homeless? A busy time of day? Does the police response suggest prior problems?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's coming out locally here that these guys had gone to this Starbucks repeatedly in the past couple days and had camped out for hours at a table without buying a thing.

Starbucks is a business, not a f*cking public library! I still have to laugh that it's liberal, woke Starbucks and not CFA (whom the Left constantly claims are the "haters") that really stepped in it!

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I cannot imagine taking up space, using a table, chairs, etc. that belong to a restaurant or coffee shop without being a paying customer. This would be even more true if the place was busy and I might be taking up space that rightly belongs to a paying customer.

I guess I was raised differently; not in a cave by wolves.

heck, when I'm traveling, if I use a gas stations restroom, 99 times out of 100 I'll buy something, whether I need it or not - I appreciate the fact they have a pisser I can use

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I would like to see the whole story of exactly what happened.

The "whole story" never came out. Were the guys lounging with their legs in the aisle? Loudly talking crap? Or sitting quietly?

Last week, after a 12-hour fast (fairly normal regardless) then an a.m. blood-letting for my yearly physical (all clipper-nippy, thanks) I stopped at a StarBlucks coming back from Labcorp. Easily the first visit this lustrum. Guy in front of me order five specialty drinks and a bunch of eats. The line was at a standstill until staff noticed my eyes spinning in my head. As soon as they realized all four of them were waiting on one guy, they got me my medium coffee, black.

Sitting there drinking it, I came to a realization about their clientele.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post