SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks to Close 8,000 Stores for Racial Bias Training
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks to Close 8,000 Stores for Racial Bias Training Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Only company it hurts is Starbucks so I really don't care.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3598 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad that I only have a few years left in the corporate world to put up with this kind of silly nonsense. 20 years ago we had zero annual silliness training. At last count, I have to take 17 mandated, annual classes on such riveting topics as sexual harassment, anti-boycott legislation, FCPA, Compliance, blah blah blah..... Every class runs from 1 hour to 3.

Early this year I tried to fail the sexual harassment training by answering every question with what I really thought, but the system will not let you fail.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
As much as I despise starbucks, they weren't in the wrong; however, leftist vs. leftist is always entertaining and they got what they deserve...may many more incidents happen.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
As much as I despise starbucks, they weren't in the wrong; however, leftist vs. leftist is always entertaining and they got what they deserve...may many more incidents happen.
Yes, they were well within their rights until they started back peddling and catering to the whim of these liberal morons. A rational approach would have been to stick to their own policy and the fact that any company can ask anyone who's loitering to leave. If they refuse, they have every right to trespass them from the property. These two morons were nothing more than attention whores and/or were trolling for a problem. Starbuck's flaccid response gave them one to monopolize on.

Starbuck's created this mess, and I hope they choke on it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
My problem with this is; the manager was following her store's policy, her call to the police was calm and non-racial in her description, and the corporation fired her (likely for the social impact).

I foresee the young lady in question (the manager) seeing a sudden financial windfall for wrongful termination (likely to be settled out of court) when the fact it was the store's policy to make that call and the company was willing to lose upwards of $16M in a effort to maintain a certain social perception of their stores.

Was she following the store's policy?
How do you know the store's policy on loitering?
If you are right, I would love to represent that young lady. It would be a whole lotta fun taking Starbucks to court for wrongful termination.

The article is unclear about whether she was terminated:

quote:
The company says the manager who called the police is no longer working at that store. Starbucks would not comment on other reports that she has left the company by mutual agreement.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Starbuck's created this mess, and I hope they choke on it.

Bingo.
Anyplace that offers free wi-fi, you're gonna get various segments of society that will abuse the gratis. I've seen a few Starbuck's that are closest to various ghetto neighborhoods: you've got teenagers playing video games, dealers and wanna-be's hanging-out and poorly adjusted adults trying to pay their bills...on a unsecured wi-fi signal Eek.

I don't doubt that these guys were there to meet a friend, perfectly plausible but, if you're taking over some furniture, at least have the presence of mind to buy something; it's an implied contract that clearly some cultures can't, won't or, willfully ignore. While the marketing department at Starbucks is talking about Racial Bias Training. The operations and legal departments are re-writting the rules about dealing with customers taking advantage of their fee wi-fi and how long one can set-up camp in their shop.

Posts: 14650 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the whole story of exactly what happened. Given that the Police Chief stated that his officers followed policy and did nothing wrong tells me that there is more to this than racial bias. How long were they there? How much space were they taking up (ie 2 people sitting at a table for 6)? Were they being loud?

Did they get aggressive with the manager when he asked them to leave? Two men refusing to leave was clearly stated in the call to police.

Was this done on purpose?

This issue is not relegated to Starbucks, any coffee, sandwich shop or cafe has struggled with this. There was a Panera near my old office, a great spot for lunch. Then they installed WiFi. After a few weeks you would go in there and find a person, camped out at a table for 6, with work spread all over it, hacking away on a laptop, drinking bottled water. There were several times when 4 of us showed up, and couldn't find a place to sit because these 'remote office' people had every table occupied. A resturant with a 60 person capacity held hostage by 11 people, 7 of which weren't buying anything. Eventually they put a 30 min cap on WiFi and that got rid of most of them. Then they put in a policy preventing 1 person from occupying tables for 4 or 6 between 11am-2pm.

Given that I travel a lot, I occasionally find myself with time to kill and work to do. Starbucks, Panera, Tim Hortons, etc are good places. I keep myself to a small table and always get a beverage. If I'm there a while, maybe two. That is common courtesy. It's a business not a library.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
No doubt the corporate geniuses will end up triggering the law of unintended consequences.

Picture the scene- after the employees get their sensitivity training, a couple of minorities camp at a table, don't buy anything, maybe cause disturbances (loud talking, using profanities, insulting other customers etc).

What manager is going to ask that they leave, no matter how justified? This whole thing will be exploited and, just as I've seen in the workplace, the offenders will be wearing Teflon.

Never fails.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is just stomach-turning on so many levels, particularly if you have been exposed to any of the clips of the Starbucks executives on their mea culpa tour today. They are demonstrating so much sensitivity on race, while ignoring the sexism issue of firing the female manager for following company policy. I'll bet she's had her hands full today, fielding calls from lawyers. Can you just imagine the sensitivity training the employees are having to endure. Talk about having your intelligence insulted. If I had the contract to teach the class, I would just show a photo of Abbott and Costello with a caption that read, " These are white people" followed by a slide of Amos and Andy reading, " These are black people" and a last slide reading, " Be nice to both of them " CLASS DISMISSED.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Now, if I ran a competitor that actually served good coffee, I'd take advantage of that day to run a really good sale and try to capture some of their market.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
is it going to make their coffee any better?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by parabellum:
QUOTE]They can melt a brown crayon in a cup of boiling water and save the 5.75 they pay for that swill at Starfucks.[/QUOTE]

And I thought I was the only one... Razz

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
is it going to make their coffee any better?
It will not make any difference of any kind, except, perhaps to piss off a few customers who won't return. That's about it. It's nothing more than posturing. Virtue-signaling from people who actually think that kind of thing is important.

Hopefully, we'll get some recordings from inside the indoctrination err training sessions.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Starsucks coffee has to be the absolute worst

like drinking water from a sewer truck

it would be awesome to get some clandestinely shot video Big Grin

they'd hate that

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be a whole lotta fun taking Starbucks to court for wrongful termination.

You don't think Starbucks is an 'at-will' employer? As long as that worker wasn't discriminated against for protected class reasons, they can fire her for any reason they want.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A family member sends Starbucks gift cards, but that is the only time I'll go to the stores. Otherwise they are making pure profit on it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
It would be a whole lotta fun taking Starbucks to court for wrongful termination.

You don't think Starbucks is an 'at-will' employer? As long as that worker wasn't discriminated against for protected class reasons, they can fire her for any reason they want.
Yeah, at will termination seems to baffle some people. Mostly likely those in education (tenure) or expecting severance pay.

Not everyone rolls like that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is funny that the libs can say it is their business to do what they want, but when they do, they play the race game. I don't know if the manager asked them to leave first or not but when the officers asked them to leave and they didn't, it falls on the guys themselves. Why is it so hard to figure out? This is a mountain made from a mole hill.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
1/2 Day of racial sensitivity training? yup that will fix the problem! Roll Eyes

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The real problem will be the precedent being set for every tweaker to be able to use a businesses bathroom. After listening to Seattle/SeaTac Leo/aid scanner for the past week, it's already enough of a problem.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post