SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    bachelor style goulash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bachelor style goulash Login/Join 
posted
2) cloves garlic
1/2 bag large pasta shells
largish yellow onion
1.25 lbs. 85% lean hamburger
two cans sliced mushrooms
2 cans Manwich

like chili and tuna and noodle, this dish will always be better on the second day.

I brown the onion and garlic in a skillet then put the hamburger in that skillet to brown up , ( not burn up).

make the shells in a large pot, and when they are done , drain in a colander and drop a i/2 inch pat of butter in the pot, then the shells go back in.

drain the mushrooms before adding them to the mix.

then throw everything on top of the shells and stir it up .

wait and stir wait and stir and wait and stir, till everything is warm.

I generally fill 4 or 5, 1 cup rubbermaid containers to put in the freezer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
You just flung a craving on me. Do you deliver?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah but you'd go broke returning the rubbermaid contaiiners

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Vinnybass made goulash last night with some FAT egg noodles. It was excellent.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that sounds like big city goulash

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
great karma, I'm in.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My bachelor goulash solution: The beef goulash at Kaiserhof, my favorite San Diego restaurant. Basically pot roast in a paprika sauce. About three times a year they offer pork goulash with sauerkraut – especially good.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forgot to mention , Bonnie like to melt a little freshly grated mozzarella cheese on the top.

25-30 seconds in the micro wave

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Very similar to slumgullion.
https://recipes.sparkpeople.co...l.asp?recipe=1109749

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer gulyásleves

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Whaaaa? No one has asked if you take a few heavy spoonfuls of this goulash and load it on to your two day old pizza to make a taco like sandwich. Well? Do ya bendable? LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Dude,

STOP! This is an intervention. You need to make it right.

2 lbs. stew beef
2 lbs. Onion (white or yellow)
3 carrots
4 oz. Hungarian Paprika (sweet or hot).
2 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
Bottle of cheap red wine
2 tbsp olive oil.
Salt / Pepper
1/2 pint Sour Cream
Egg Noodles

Brown off beef with Garlic.
Add onion and saute until onion is transparent.
Add bay leaves and paprika.
Add wine until beef and Onions are covered.
Cook on low for 2 hours (or more).
Boil and drain noodles.
Plate Noodles, add Goulash and dollop of Sour Cream.

Drink rest of wine.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
So my big city egg noodles is vindicated by Rolan's recipe.

Ha! Take that Bendy. Big Grin

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I made this goulash for dinner tonight and it was really good.

http://myincrediblerecipes.com/old-fashioned-goulash/

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

That looks tasty. I might try that this weekend

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:

That looks tasty. I might try that this weekend

It's good, and the mozzarella really adds to it. I'd never tried that with goulash before.

The only suggestion I'd make is cut the olive oil to 1/4 cup instead of 1/3. I use real greek olive oil that has a distinct flavor to it, and that particular flavor came through a little rather than blending with everything else.

I also couldn't find any adobo seasoning at the store so I made a batch of my own using this recipe:

1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the same recipe Wifey gave me to make for her as it reminded her of what she had for lunch in Grade School. I followed the recipe exactly. She said it was good, but needed to be spiced up more with more chili powder or something. I guess the kids' taste buds do mature with age, as recipes for Grade Schoolers don't usually lend themselves to spiciness.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's not hot by any stretch, but the flavor is perfect for me (see hot sauce thread). It's easy enough to add more spicy stuff though. Just double up or half-again the seasonings or add some cayenne when serving.

I really liked it. In fact, I'm making another batch to put in the freeze dryer tomorrow. Great camping food.

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
also couldn't find any adobo seasoning at the store so I made a batch of my own using this recipe:

I couldn't find any either so I figured I'd us Emiril's Essence.

I meant to pick up a green pepper or 2 to dice into it but forgot.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Very similar to slumgullion.
https://recipes.sparkpeople.co...l.asp?recipe=1109749

I thought that was some shit my dad invented never thought it was a real word even.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post