SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weed and Feed Watering Dilemma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weed and Feed Watering Dilemma Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
With the above normal temperature we've had in and around the Big Easy the last month or so our grass has come out of dormancy a bit early. Along with that came an explosion of weed growth to include dollar weed and clover. Now I understand that some clover in one's yard helps to green it up with the nitrogen it imparts, but it's getting so thick it's a bear to cut.

So I decide to give Scotts 3 in one weed and feed (plus fireant killer a shot. I thought I has timed the application to be just before we were forecast to receive rain, a 90% + chance. That 90% chance has been reduced to 40% for this evening. If it does indeed rain I'm good, but what if it doesn't? The area that I applied it is FAR too large to water via hose. I could do around the house, but not the rest.

So... have I destroyed my lawn or might the relative low temps for today and tomorrow (mid 70's today, upper 70's tomorrow) give the rain time to come through before the grass is burnt?

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll be fine. The types of Nitrogen in commercially available weed and feed is such that immediate water is less important.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You're OK on the temps but I've always found that treating broadleaf weeds separately works better and better with a topical solution.
YMMV

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You're fine with rain tomorrow. Additionally, it's March not July so I wouldn't be worried about burning from a fast release fertilizer.

In Houston, we switch to a slow release fertilizer for summer. I'm assuming y'all do as well in New Orleans too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Weeds! Fertilizer!

I just got in from 2.5 hrs of snow shoveling. Big Grin

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoveled snow, too.

Spring can't get here soon enough.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all. It seems to have turned out just fine.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post