SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Braces in your mid 40s sucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Braces in your mid 40s sucks Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Well, my uncle (a dentist), my dentist and my ortho strongly recommended I get braces. When I got married I snored so much I had to wear a snore guard (contraption from hell) which pushed my lower jaw out. Well that jacked up my completely messed with my bite, teeth alignment and everything else. Now in my mid 40s I once again have braces and it sucks! I remember my first time wearing braces in my twenties, my parents didn't have enough money for aesthetic dentistry when we were younger, so the first day of college I walked in with a mouth full of metal. But that does not suck as much as it does now. Can't eat right, can't drink coffee unless in a straw and I look like a fool.

That's all...you all can laugh at me now.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I won't laugh. That really sucks.
How long will you have put up with them?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Get some Chick a filet shakes, might as well as enjoy it, they are really good.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't get the peach shake - stuff will get stuck in the metal. but the others are okay to snack on. Smile

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Don't get the peach shake - stuff will get stuck in the metal. but the others are okay to snack on. Smile

Stay away from raspberry and strawberry shakes too. The small seeds will really cause you problems. Good luck.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I remember having braces and headgear in my early teens. I'm pretty sure it sucked back then too. I think they just plainly suck. In fact, braces are the only thing that would keep me from going back and reliving my childhood again.

I remember the first thing I ate when my braces came off - corn on the cob! Yum!

My condolences.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it at 30. It sucked then. Could not imagine doing it now. Good luck. It’s worth it when it’s over.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had them too, but much younger, in my teens (13-17 years old). They sucked, but before I got them I could eat corn on the cob through a knothole, so I have to say it was worth it. Partially mitigating it was that some of the orthodontist's assistants were hot. Big Grin Getting them in your early middle age makes it tougher because the teeth are set in place more rigidly and they have more work to do.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel better, it could be worse... My mother in law got braces in her mid-60s.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I did Invisalign at 24. Wore them for 3 years, retainers every night since. I would have recommended those if it was a possibility.

I certainly don’t envy you. I’m nearly 100% on wearing my retainers because of how much it sucked.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I got them when I was 48 just didnt like my crooked teeth plus I did some cabinet work for an orthodontist and he help convince me. the poking of the wires weekly was not much fun but I got use to them and it wasn't half bad.

I wish I would have wore my retainer longer as I had some movement but, I like the look. hang in there. Smile

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I did it from 21 to 23. Not the end of the world. I ended up married to someone I divorced!

I'd do it again if it meant not having to have surgery or serious complications in the future.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I had them in my late 30s into 40, it gets better. I was working on my undergrad and all the kids thought I was in my 20s!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I had them around 4th and 5th grade, not fun. Once a month when they were tightened the only thing I could eat was muffins, pudding, jello and soup. I hadn't worn my retainers in years, a couple years ago in my mid-30s my teeth started to move back, my old retainers broke so I just didn't wear them. I finally got new retainers made and usually forget to wear them at night. Orthodontist assistant said at my age of 37 it would be a problematic experience to get them again and wouldn't yield great results for the price and hassle. I didn't argue with her.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish my parents had the money back then, but oh well, life moves on. When I was a kid, I suffered though the bucked teeth jokes, mostly from my older brother. Now, fuck 'em all. Got the love of my life, and I'm good to go!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A water pick might help with the debris removal.
You might also lay off boxing for a while. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A friend always wanted braces and finally went for it. She's 50. She wears a mouth thing 22 hours a day, and they slowly introduce different guards to move the teeth. It's been going on since June, I think. Deep down we both know she's working on her total package, getting ready for husband #3 ("H3").

My teeth are shot. When the aliens land and want humans for examination, I'll be first in line. With a request for new teeth, eyes, and knees.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My wife had braces in her early/mid 30s and it was definitely not a pleasant time for her but the results were worth it in her opinion.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, when life hands you lemons...

C'mon - if you are going to do braces, you owe it to yourself to make them into something fabulous.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My dentist recommended an orthodontist for me, and I’m in my mid-70’s now (5 years or so after he made that recommendation). I’ll get around to it any day now.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post