SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    300 to 500 suicides by train every year in the U.S.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 to 500 suicides by train every year in the U.S. Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
An individual chose suicide by train yesterday, and they came through the office.

Before, after or during?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
An individual chose suicide by train yesterday, and they came through the office.

Before, after or during?

You beat me to it. That was my thought too. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Kids with headphones are a real problem, and trains, even monster trains, are much quieter than people think.
A conductor I know rolled up a guy under his train and they dumped the air and stopped. He and the engineer did rock-paper-scissors to see who would walk the train, and he lost. He said it was black as a coal mine and about 1/3 of the way down his lantern went out, but he could get it to come on momentarily by banging it on a car.
Not long after he tripped on a leg and decided he had done enough so went back to the loco.
When LE and EMS arrived he said the EMS guys were grabbing their gear and started running toward the train. He stopped them and said; "Now I'm now Doctor, but I called it about 20 minutes ago."

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many are true suicides vs people just too stupid or impaired to stay the hell off the tracks

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

A friend of mine works for Amtrak and told me a story about one of his co-workers who was operating a 150MPH train and was coming around a bend and noticed a woman sitting on a rock. The woman then climbed down and ran in front of his train. Later on he found out it was his ex-gf that he had broken up with a week or two prior. She knew his schedule and waited until it was his train that was passing.

Wow. Now that’s creative.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:

A friend of mine works for Amtrak and told me a story about one of his co-workers who was operating a 150MPH train and was coming around a bend and noticed a woman sitting on a rock. The woman then climbed down and ran in front of his train. Later on he found out it was his ex-gf that he had broken up with a week or two prior. She knew his schedule and waited until it was his train that was passing.

150mph?

In 'merca?

Do tell me more.

tac

Posts: 11321 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
A friend was going through conductor/engineer training as a new hire. He was told that it was an almost certainty that someone would kill themselves in front of his train at some point in his career. They brought in a recent graduate that had it happen to him.

My late father in law was an engineer with the Southern Pacific and he had this happen to him several times in his career. Terrible thing to put these guys through. Decades afterwards, it still affected him.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I wonder how many are true suicides vs people just too stupid or impaired to stay the hell off the tracks

We seem to have a couple every year. I'm not sure if "Distracted by earphones" is code for suicide. Just a short time ago there was a death. Person was at a crossing as a train passed. Not waiting for the barricades to life, they started to cross. The train that hit them was coming the other way. Now the hue and cry is for "Something needs to be done." Eh, maybe wait until the barricades lift?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:

150mph?

In 'merca?

Do tell me more.

tac

The Amtrak Acela (between DC and NYC) is the only commuter service in the US that achieves these speeds, and even then only over about 25 miles of its overall route.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post