SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am currently working the back door at my wife's school's prom
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am currently working the back door at my wife's school's prom Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:

All I keep thinking is, "jeez these kids are too young to be dressing like this". Roll Eyes

Yea, the girls didn't dress that way when I was in High School... damn it...

And I don't remember so many of them having boobs the size so many of them do now either. LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. As a LEO who's married to a teacher, I've worked more than my fair share of junior high and high school dances.

I've seen things, man... Terrible things. Things that can't be unseen!

I'm a firm believer that the dress code should require full-body condoms, and fire hoses should be directed towards the dance floor at regular intervals.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
You must have been a pretty old high school student. I think the drinking age most places back then was 21.

Not necessarily. In the 70s/early 80s, there were plenty of states where the drinking age (for beer and wine especially) was 18. It wasn't until the mid-80s that 21 became the mandated minimum drinking age across the board.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
You must have been a pretty old high school student. I think the drinking age most places back then was 21.

Not necessarily. In the 70s/early 80s, there were plenty of states where the drinking age (for beer and wine especially) was 18. It wasn't until the mid-80s that 21 became the mandated minimum drinking age across the board.

Vietnam War got both the voting age - 26th Amendment - and (at least for a while) drinking age lowered. "Old enough to fight and die - old enough to drink."

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

And I don't remember so many of them having boobs the size so many of them do now either. LOL

Yup. The one girl in my class that was the exception now seems to be the rule.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Yeah, definitely don't remember my proms being like this.

Yeah you are getting old.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that these kids haven't come up with anything new as far as the after prom "frivolities" are concerned...I have some fond memories of this as well. But we definitely didn't behave that way AT the prom.

We didn't have boys showing up in tuxes, but with women's makeup and hair all done up. Blinked twice at that one.

We also didn't have some of those dresses at my prom. More importantly, I don't think the parents in my area would have let girls go out wearing that little.

Now, that's not to say that all parents today aren't keeping up with parenting. The majority of the kids were very well behaved and I even saw one boy hold the hem of his date's dress up so that it didn't drag in the parking lot crud as she was getting into the car.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
I started High School in Germany in the seventies, the alcohol flowed. Came to Atlanta, went to prom for about 5 mins, had picture taken and asked Principal where the bar was. He said haha real funny, I said see ya and since we were in a hotel in downtown Atlanta just walked over to the hotel bar had a few drinks then went clubbing.

flashguy

Nope was 18 here in the states did not go to 21 until 1985. I turned 18 about a month before prom. Germany it was 16 so I had it good. When I went to Georgia State beer companies used to still sponsor Greek week with beer and t-shirts. Tell kids that now and they don't believe you.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I started High School in Germany in the seventies, the alcohol flowed. Came to Atlanta, went to prom for about 5 mins, had picture taken and asked Principal where the bar was. He said haha real funny, I said see ya and since we were in a hotel in downtown Atlanta just walked over to the hotel bar had a few drinks then went clubbing.

flashguy

Nope was 18 here in the states did not go to 21 until 1985. I turned 18 about a month before prom. Germany it was 16 so I had it good. When I went to Georgia State beer companies used to still sponsor Greek week with beer and t-shirts. Tell kids that now and they don't believe you.
I was only 17 when I graduated from high school--I more or less assumed the same for you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

Yes we had only one or two... Now they credit blame that on the hormones fed to chicken and cattle now.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

flashguy

I was only 17 when I graduated from high school--I more or less assumed the same for you.

flashguy

I found it was more a state of mind. One day, a bunch of us were around the back of the barracks talking about the best thing to drink. Then someone said "it's too bad none of us can go buy it", and I said "What do you want? Make a list. Hand over the cash. Hand over some more, 'cause you're paying for mine, too." I walked into one of the package stores in Ayer, and before the guy could say anything, I asked if he had a box, because I had a list, and held up the list and the cash. That went on for several weeks. One day, one of the guys asked what I did before I was 21. I told him I wasn't 21. It turned out, I was one of the youngest guys there. I was 18.

It's your state of mind. And, maybe I always looked like an old fart.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

Yes we had only one or two... Now they credit blame that on the hormones fed to chicken and cattle now.

And birth control pills.

I just missed the 18 age, but made the 19. It didn't go to 21 here until I was well past that. Didn't matter to me though as I had a real fake ID. I took my brother's birth certificate (four years older than me) in to the driver's license station and told them that I lost my license and needed a duplicate. They put my picture on a license with his information. Worked like a charm. Razz I was pretty popular in high school. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
State of mind would not have worked for me. I have always been a "Baby Face Nelson" or "Audie Murphy" person visually--never looked even close to my real age. It's only recently that folks come within 5 years of my real age when they make a guess (always guess low).

I guess it's a good thing that I wasn't interested in drinking when under age (and still am not) because there is no way under the stars that I could ever have passed as older. And I was only 4' 6" tall when I started high school at age 13, and only made it to 5' 6" when I graduated in 1955. (I eventually, at age 30, achieved my maximum height of 5' 10"--and then started to shrink due to compaction of cartilage.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My wife's niece has her prom next week, I think.

The boyfriend has no job, can't even maintain a 2.0 GPA at a shitty school, is basically a thug with his pants around his thighs yet his parents (I was surprised he has both parents) paid for his tux, rented a car with driver and spent some serious money.

All this for a high school kid who is basically a piece of shit.

But I guess in the grand scheme of things, this will probably be the high point of his life. I predict she won't go very far, either. While she gets good grades (did I mention it was a shit school?), she also has an attitude problem and has been sheltered.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post