SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USAREUR vets: Remember these?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAREUR vets: Remember these? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes.

West Germany in early 80s.
Told that they were "legal observers", but to report if seen, as they would often try to access "off limit" areas, take pictures or try and make "contact" with NATO forces members, or family members.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
No, not sure if that was still in use by the time I got to Germany in late 1991. Then again I was an Army cook and not involved with that stuff.

I do recall Russians coming to our post (Larson Barracks) in '93 or '94 and they LOVED our dining facility, especially getting eggs to order, bacon and pancakes for breakfast. We actually ran out of food!

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Smell 'em cards. SMLM

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I remember something about it in the fog of Kristallweizen, Apfelkorn and Asbach. Then the wall came down and POOF, no more spy vs spy stuff

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I remember something about it in the fog of Kristallweizen, Apfelkorn and Asbach. Then the wall came down and POOF, no more spy vs spy stuff

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t seen any Soviet cars but I have seen US cars when I was stationed in Berlin. Ford Galaxy all OD green with bucket seats and 4 speed if I remember right. This was in 1971.

From what I was told the British, French, And US each had a specific number of cars that could be in East Berlin and and vice Vera for Soviet’s.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Yes.

West Germany in early 80s.
Told that they were "legal observers", but to report if seen, as they would often try to access "off limit" areas, take pictures or try and make "contact" with NATO forces members, or family members.

True! I spent 9+ years in Germany and had a number of contacts with cars bearing those plates.

Some of them would actually try to cause an incident with our forces, too. It never worked out well for them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Smell 'em cards. SMLM

Exactly what we called them, too.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
From what I was told the British, French, And US each had a specific number of cars that could be in East Berlin and and vice Vera for Soviet’s.

An American Army officer was killed by a Soviet guard in East Germany during one mission.

Link

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Nope. Spent 3 years at Ramstein AB (1977-1980) and don't recall ever seeing one of those cards.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
Yep, I remember them. Heilbronn 1974-75.
Guys in my unit were specifically warned about pretty girls asking about our work. I was in a Nuclear Ordnance unit. Eek

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Pirmasens Germany, 1962-1964. Yes remember seeing them.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We were required to carry the card on our person 24/7. Then, if we spotted a Mission, we would use the card.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
We were required to carry the card on our person 24/7.

That’s what I recall, or most of the time anyway, hence this card’s somewhat tattered look. I found it among some stuff I hadn’t seen for years, including a couple of club cards from Vietnam and a photo taken at a still-memorable party there with some Australians at the local EOD barracks.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Germany '82 - '86 and I too had one in my billfold. Never saw an actual license plate but do remember the card.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely remember the cards, protocol, from our 3D Armored Cav border patrols from 1963-1966 on the East German border. Our post was near the Fulda Gap. The 14th Armored Cav had primary responsibility IIRC. Shadowed more then one of those cars.
Regards.
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
We had actual Soviet observers at our GLCM sites enforcing SALT II, with specific guidance even for the position of the telephones in quarters. They can see this, but not this, go here but not there, examine this but not that. And were one of the first missions to observe the pre-positioned Soviet aircraft and assets just across the line - and still remember the chill I got when one of our senior pilots turned to me and said "It's a damned good thing we never had to do this." We and our European allies, in many ways, will probably never know how very, very lucky we really were. And still are.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:

An American Army officer was killed by a Soviet guard in East Germany during one mission.

Link

I was a Spearhead trooper, 3AD, stationed in Gelnhausen when that happened. I remember it well. I still have that card, along with my drivers lic and other treasures in a box my kids will toss when i am gone. Not all that long ago I met Nina Willner(sp ?) the auther of a book 40 Autumns. Her mothers family was divided. Her mom married a soldier and she became one. OCS or ROTC I think. She was stationed in Berlin, and was on the same team as the trooper that was killed. I always assumed he was some place he wasnt suppose to be, she said no though. It seemed to me that between 1982 and 1985 we became much more agressive in our drills and alerts. Also I think our warplanes probed the border near Fulda a bit more, and that, along with the tactical nukes, Perishing 2 and GLCMs, was part of it. Of course that could have been my imagination, GI gossip
or lost helecopter pilots. Now it all seems like a long long time ago in a land far far away. I was young, I miss those days sometimes.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Yep I was in Baumholder in the early 70's.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post