SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear attack story (link with video/ pistol was 10mm Glock)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack story (link with video/ pistol was 10mm Glock) Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Brownell's continues to be out of stock for the Underwood 10mm 200gr hardcast.

I think I can order directly from Underwood (need to work details w/ my FFL first).

Question: Underwood FAQ recommends their 140gr Xtreme Penetrator, then 200-220gr hardcast.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/...ntly-asked-questions

Any thoughts on one vs the other?

https://www.underwoodammo.com/...ariant=7865928056889

https://www.underwoodammo.com/...ariant=7865916751929

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the 180gr Underwood Bonded HP in my G20. Controllable recoil, not overly hard on the gun and good performance.
I might go up to 200gr if the Yoop had bigger bears, like Alaska Brown or Grizzlies.
And I shoot one twenty round box a year as a "proof test" in the G20 and practice with Federal American Eagle.
If you want cheap practice ammo for 10mm, I have seen S&B advertised at $15 a box.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m not an expert and couldn’t tell the type of any bear I might encounter. I only know two types: the ones that run away and the ones that attack.

Are HP indicated for certain types of bears? I was under the impression that penetration is king, especially through hard bear bones and so HP were not indicated.

I have some dubious practice ammo - shoots lighter than 9mm. And they pattern like shot shell.

I’m just wondering about the Underwood 140gr solid copper stuff. I thought 200gr hard cast was recommended but Underwood recommends the 140gt stuff first. Although they are almost 2x the price.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You want hard cast for bears. I did a ton of research on this when I moved to Alaska and lived in bear country for 5 years.

I buy all of my ammo from the least expensive supplier according to Ammoseek.com. I just checked and there are 8 options for Underwood 200 gr.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
He needs to have children with the lady that choked to death the bobcat a few months ago!
Can you imagine the level of bad-assery those kids would be?!?
She is 78.
Bad-ass lady like that? Age doesn't matter! Female Chuck Norris.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Here's a white Black Bear:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Another grizzly attack in the Greater Yellowstone Area. This one occured in the Gros Ventres just north of Jackson. The hunter was in brushy country in the rain when the bear attacked him. He was mauled, but thankfully not severely. The bear was killed with one shot from the hunter’s 7 mag.

This is so recent that there’s not a newspaper article as yet.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post