SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear attack story (link with video/ pistol was 10mm Glock)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack story (link with video/ pistol was 10mm Glock) Login/Join 
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I wander what he shot it with and how many times, very lucky dude for sure......

New Mexico Game and Fish said it was 10mm glock

Posts: 1552 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
https://www.kxan.com/news/new-...ar-attack/1368735613 here's link to story watch the video, has pictures

That doesn't look anything like a black bear.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Black bears are timid by nature

Black bears have killed more people in North America than brown bears. Doest matter how "timid" some of them are.

There are 10 times more black bears than brown bears, in North America.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
He needs to have children with the lady that choked to death the bobcat a few months ago!
Can you imagine the level of bad-assery those kids would be?!?

She is 78. Children...
Perhaps if she has any grand-daughters.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I think there more to this story as it reads very glorified

"Got way too close". says it all to me

Black bears are timid by nature

there are no Griz in NM

I think his point (unlike most scenarios of wild animal attacks) is hey I was in this bear’s domain the attack is on me not the bear.

We have had a couple bear attacks near by in the Red River Gorge and it’s always made out to be the bear’s fault now we need to try to locate it.
It pisses me off. NO, you’re in the bears freaking domain the attack is on you leave the bear be.

As to being to close dependent upon the bear you can be walking in the woods and whoops there it is.
Most will generally beat feet no doubt. But come between mama and cubs without knowing good luck.
Or the big male we have on our property he is not scared in the slightest of us or our vehicles.
But I bet if he were somewhere and I came to close without seeing him to late and I had a bunch of dogs exercising who the heck knows what he would do.

Glad to here he used a 10mm Glock. Since that is exactly what I bought and this is why.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Now I have to get a 10mm Glock just in case I get attacked by a bear. At least that’s the justification I’ll use to my wife. Bear threat in Orlando? Yes! Big Grin

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
NO, you’re in the bears freaking domain! The attack is on you. Leave the bear be.

This!

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
NO, you’re in the bears freaking domain! The attack is on you. Leave the bear be.

This!

We have property in the southern part of our state and in 96 and 97 they did a small reintroduction program of 14 bears not far from our property and the population has flourished. So naturally they are moving north since that is where there are less bears because south and the Smokey Mountains are already quite heavily bear populated already.
We live about 90 miles north of our property and bears are becoming a very common sight in the county to the south we border and I would say in the next 2 years we’ll have a population of our own here.

https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Black-Bears.aspx

Every time they report a bear in the news in the county to the south, they say there is a “bear on the loose.”
No morons a Bear is not on the loose it’s just living doing bear things.
It is not an escaped animal.

————————————————

Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Now I have to get a 10mm Glock just in case I get attacked by a bear. At least that’s the justification I’ll use to my wife. Bear threat in Orlando? Yes! Big Grin

I agree with your logic. I think I will try the same justification.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I agree with your logic. I think I will try the same justification.

Might be easier to justify after the purchase than before the purchase.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
https://www.kxan.com/news/new-...ar-attack/1368735613 here's link to story watch the video, has pictures

That doesn't look anything like a black bear.

Black Bear Color Phases

Black bears come in more colors than any other North American mammal. They can be black, brown, cinnamon, blond, blue-gray, or white.

East of the Great Plains, nearly all are black. These were the first bears early settlers saw, hence the name. The melanin in black fur makes the fur resistant to abrasion in the brushy understory of eastern forests. In forested states that border the Great Plains, 5% to 25% are shades of brown rather than black. About 5% are brown in Minnesota. Blond or white individuals are rare in Minnesota, but a young white male was seen near Orr, MN, in 1997 and 1998.

In western states that have mountain meadows and open park-like forests, over half the black bears (Ursus americanus cinnamomum) are brown, cinnamon, or blond. Light colored fur reduces heat stress in open sunlight and allows the bears to feed longer in open, food-rich habitats. The lighter colored fur may also camouflage them from predators in those open areas. Ice Age predators undoubtedly used to kill black bears in open areas where the bears couldn’t escape up trees. Grizzly bears still do that in some areas today.

https://www.bear.org/website/b...ar-color-phases.html

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
... and it’s always made out to be the bear’s fault now we need to try to locate it.
It pisses me off. NO, you’re in the bears freaking domain the attack is on you leave the bear be.

Because it is the bear's fault. It attacked you. Doesn't really matter the reason, but since it did, once, it needs to be found and dispatched because it will do it again. It is the nature of bears to do so.

It's too bad that these things happen sometimes but they do, and human life is more important than the life of a bear.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
... and it’s always made out to be the bear’s fault now we need to try to locate it.

Because it is the bear's fault. It attacked you. Doesn't really matter the reason, but since it did, once, it needs to be found and dispatched because it will do it again. It is the nature of bears to do so.

It's too bad that these things happen sometimes but they do, and human life is more important than the life of a bear.

Then due to your highlighted point we should just kill all bears Roll Eyes

If one has to kill a bear in defense so be it. If a bear gets a hold of someone and gets away in its normal habitat no the bear (or whatever wild animal it may be) need not be dispatched.
That is part of life.
If the animal is out of it’s normal habitat roaming a neighborhood etc, then yes I am good with that but also every effort should be made to safely relocate it.
But just because a wild animal is doing WILD ANIMAL things where it lives and is supposed to be does not mean it should be killed.

————————————————

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

This!

We have property in the southern part of our state and in 96 and 97 they did a small reintroduction program of 14 bears not far from our property and the population has flourished. So naturally they are moving north since that is where there are less bears because south and the Smokey Mountains are already quite heavily bear populated already.
We live about 90 miles north of our property and bears are becoming a very common sight in the county to the south we border and I would say in the next 2 years we’ll have a population of our own here.

https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Black-Bears.aspx

Every time they report a bear in the news in the county to the south, they say there is a “bear on the loose.”
No morons a Bear is not on the loose it’s just living doing bear things.
It is not an escaped animal.
Wow, that N. Carolina bear was 880 pounds. From the north country, New York to Maine, they are common at 350 to over 500 pounds. I stood face to face with a full mounted Alaskan brown standing on all 4s and can say that critter is very intimidating in size. The head, the paws, its' leg length and diameter show a powerful beast. It took 5 rounds at close yardage of 300 Winchester magnum. A 800 pound black bear would go where ever it wants to. That Alaskan was 650 when harvested.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then due to your highlighted point we should just kill all bears Roll Eyes

No. That is not what I said.

Bears that maul (regardless of the reason) are inclined to do it again. Those bears need to be dispatched.

Do some research on bear behavior and you'll get a better understanding.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that if a bear has attacked a human it is more likely to do it again. Wild animals that have lost their natural fear of humans can be very dangerous.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because it is the bear's fault.

This is true for cougars, too. None of these is more important than a person. Leave them alone after an attack on humans they will attack again. Turn your back on a wild cougar and they will not hesitate to try kill you, your child, or your dog given the right situation.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a bear gets a hold of someone and gets away in its normal habitat no the bear (or whatever wild animal it may be) need not be dispatched.
That is part of life.

So, if a predator mauls or kills someone who spends time in the wild, you’re saying it’s ok with you? A wild animal like a bear, mountain lion, or pack of wolves should be allowed to continued to prey on humans until it dies of natural causes? I’m guessing you don’t spend much time hiking and camping with your family.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[
Bears that maul (regardless of the reason) are inclined to do it again. Those bears need to be dispatched.

Bears that maul are inclined to do it regardless of whether they've done it before.

All bears are. It's not like a bear becomes a serial mauler because it accidentally did it once. The bear was disposed to do that at the outset; bears kill prey, and attack threats. This can happen with any bear.

We are not at the top of the food chain, however much we might wish to be.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They are wild predeatory protective animals!!!!
Why are we so surprised when they attack humans when humans come to their territory.

I spend plenty of time in the woods and fishing on my property where I know very well bears are. The male frequently comes out for a visit when running the tractor or other things. He gets a bit close for comfort.
Only have seen the mother on camera but I also promise if out in the woods and we get between her in the babies it is not going to be an enjoyable afternoon.
She is likely to attack and defend her cubs.
This is not a surprise to me in the slightest and an understanding we have with nature by sharing their habitat.

We are not exactly the top of the food chain.
We’re not talking domesticated animals here. We are talking wild animals in their habitat they are doing what they do naturally and are protecting it. We can’t fault them for that.

Someone comes into your home, what are you going to do??
Should you then be dispatched after that?

Location plays a huge role.
Wandering a neighborhood or highly populated place, then yes the animal needs to be located and possibly relocated.

So, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

————————————————