SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear attack story (link with video/ pistol was 10mm Glock)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack story (link with video/ pistol was 10mm Glock) Login/Join 
Picture of Greymann
posted
New Mexico
New Mexico man explains how he survived a bear attack

https://www.kxan.com/news/new-...ar-attack/1368735613

NM fish and game finally got back to me, pistol used to kill bear was a 10mm Glock, didn't say what model.

RATON, N.M. (KRQE) - A New Mexico man is sharing his story of survival after he was attacked by a bear while walking his dogs.
He killed the bear while its jaw was clamped around his leg, and the jaw stayed that way for a while.
From making their way through Angel Fire Resort to dumpster diving in Ruidoso, bear sightings and encounters across the state are pretty common. But one Raton man had a very uncommon encounter with a bear back a couple weeks ago.
"I got way too close, the bear was overly aggressive," said Bridger Petrini.
Petrini is a rancher and a big-game hunter. Last month, he was exercising his hunting dogs near his home just outside the small city of Raton.
"When he saw me, he pinned his ears down and immediately made a big charge at me," said Petrini. 
That's when the struggle began.
"Down the hill, we went again rolling and he had bit me a time or two but he was never able to get on my upper body, so my legs took most of it," said Petrini. 
Petrini says he was armed with a pistol and shot the bear as he was being mauled.
"Somehow or another, he had bitten down on my calf muscle it had basically twisted it over his bottom jaw so he died with his teeth locked and so I wasn't able to get away from him," Petrini said.
Raton Fire Department, along with Game and Fish, responded to the scene, but moving the nearly 400-pound animal proved challenging so they eventually sawed the bear's head off, leaving it attached to Petrini's leg. 
"When they cut the bear's head off then they were able to maneuver to where the could get it off my leg," Petrini said. 
He was flown to UNM Hospital where they deal with injuries from bear attacks from time to time.
"Bears are huge so you can see all kinds of different injuries from bites to scratch marks from the claws to blunt force trauma," said Steve Mclaughlin.
But they had never heard a story like this.
"I've never seen this before this is extremely unusual," Mclaughlin said.
Petrini says he spent a week in the hospital. He got more than 200 stitches and suffered extensive nerve and tissue damage in his right leg. 

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greymann,

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I think he dropped his wallet wrestling the bear

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wander what he shot it with and how many times, very lucky dude for sure

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there more to this story as it reads very glorified

"Got way too close". says it all to me

Black bears are timid by nature

there are no Griz in NM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does he pass through airport security with such large brass balls?

Holy moly!

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
They had to cut the bear's head off while it was still clamping down on his leg?

There is a movie lying here somewhere. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
a 400lb black bear is on the large side for sure. I know they can get bigger. But that is a big sumbich.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He needs to have children with the lady that choked to death the bobcat a few months ago!
Can you imagine the level of bad-assery those kids would be?!?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I think there more to this story as it reads very glorified

"Got way too close". says it all to me

there are no Griz in NM

The average blackie is timid; when they get really big, they become alpha predators. There are plenty of stories of black bears predating on humans but this sounds like a case of instinctively protecting a food source.

Most likely, like a lot of bear attack’s, this is probably a case of close proximinity. The bear reacted to his sudden appearance near his food.

Google “400 black bear” they are big animals.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
I see bears quite often while in the woods hunting. I sit very still and hope they go their way with me unnoticed. Even a small bear, say 200 pounds is very large. And they are very fast. All of them. If you've never seen a bear fight, it's something to see. Gives you an idea of just how fast, strong and aggressive these things can be. I've had a few patients who were attacked by bears. Each of them had shot a bear and then went to blood trail it. They all said the bear circled around and attacked them from behind. So they are smart too. But to kill one while it is attacking you is definitely bad ass and keeping your wits about you.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Black bears have killed more people in North America than brown bears. Doest matter how "timid" some of them are.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

Black bears have killed more people in North America than brown bears. Doest matter how "timid" some of them are.

61 people in 118 yrs by black bears

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

61 people in 118 yrs by black bears

Yeah, it's a pretty small number and you can bet that most of those deaths could been avoided by just using common sense.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“but moving the nearly 400-pound animal proved challenging so they eventually sawed the bear's head off, leaving it attached to Petrini's leg“

Pics or it didn’t happen

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]Pics or it didn’t happen

YEP. Could be Davy Crockett relative or Brian Williams maybe.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mike Fink or Paul Bunyan type

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
https://www.kxan.com/news/new-...ar-attack/1368735613 here's link to story watch the video, has pictures

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK Thanks for video. Was he named after Jim Bridger??

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Probably so, his father was a hunting guide. The family runs a hunting guide service, Tri States outfitters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greymann,

posted Hide Post
I camp in a very removed rural location in eastern Oregon and it’s full of black bears. I see them every time I go out there and every single time I’ve bumped into one it runs off at about a million miles an hour. Every single time they beat feet in the opposite direction. I’ve never jumped one really up close but they al always head the other direction in a hurry. I do hike with two blue healers that don’t give two shits about bears, if they think I’m in danger they go straight after the threat and 100% of the time black bears run. I wonder what his dogs were doing when he was attacked.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post