SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    generally disgruntled people and their bitching about those in the buisness of serving others
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

generally disgruntled people and their bitching about those in the buisness of serving others Login/Join 
posted
After 30 years in retail sales and service I am
feeling the need to address a all too common practice, here.

Regarding the treatment , badgering, bullying or
blistering judgement of those in the service industry.

waiters,carpet layers,lawn mowers, doctor's, cop's and deliver people all get paid to offer a
service and all of them at some point ,
probably even daily will make a mistake.

Sometimes its an small inconvenience, other times it's annoying and then on occasion it will actually cost something financially .

but I am wondering if , as often as we see complaints here on the forum,

If people realize that any exchange with others, weather they are providing a service or are just
sharing a movie lobby area is a two way street.

An Exchange means both parties choose to contribute .

I get the feeling that there are people in this country that think, because I am paying for the service ,
I do not have to offer common courtsey's , during the exchange.

I am here to tell you that The term's "please, thank You and you are Welcome"
are essential when ever you are encountering other's ,

and they are very inexpensive insurance that all will go much better between almost everyone involved.

Please consider being considerate of those choosing to serve others.

remember they are rarely just serving you on a given day , they may have had 7 customers in front of you and another dozen after you .

Please help them make their day go better.

treat better than the last customer did .

you get more with hot fudge than you do with kale

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
#bebendable

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I try to treat people like I like to be treated.
If I get treated like crap, I can respond in kind if that’s the way the transaction is headed.

I’d rather it didn’t and would much rather everyone leave happy but some folks are beyond that.
And if I have to fork out $$$ for their mistake, I’m not going to be smiling.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I (almost always) try to start off with things cordial and polite. On the giving and receiving end of service ( I work for the State of TN).

I did have a boss that once told me I can cease being polite and even leave the scene if needed once the other party starts cussing me. And I've had to do it about twice in 15 years.

Even at the house with the wife - some pleases and thankyous will go a long way !!

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being polite and friendly gets better treatment than being an ass, even if the wait staff is having a bad day you can be their bright spot.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always treat people with respect and politely. I too am in the service industry to a smaller degree or different degree. But I've found that some of the population are just angry people and unhappy themselves and treat others poorly regardless of who it is and there's no changing them. I don't let it effect me, I just laugh at how miserable they are.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a service man's perspective.......

I've been in the service industry (industrial hvac) both in the civilian world and USAF for a good many years.

Most folks aren't too comfortable with conditions leading up to my being called in, so they may be unhappy both before & sometimes even after my visit.

I don't place too much emphasis on their catering to my validation needs, I do this work to support my family. Though a grateful customer is nice sometimes.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I say yes ma'am to the 16 year old girl at the drive through window....I don't think this rant was directed at me Razz

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always said that everyone should work either retail or, food service; I think the asshole quotient would go down quite a bit.

I only worked retail for about 6-years, mainly through college, and short spells in-between other jobs. While there was a handful of asses, most people were fine. The asses, were just that, demanding, demeaning, insistent, dismissive and impatient. The wealthy asses were mainly aloof. The low-brow asses, were the bigger problems, they thought they could treat everyone like shit and be waited on hand n'foot.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

you get more with hot fudge than you do with kale
Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
do unto others..
don't didndu others...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My mother treats service people like peons even though she’s been in the service industry for all of her working career. I’ve tried talking to her about her behavior but she doesn’t seem to think she treats people poorly or as poorly as I see it. I generally treat people cordially, though I’ll admit to getting testy when faced with boneheads.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have often said everyone should have at least one job dealing with serving the public. You will develop a whole new appreciation of what it entails. Most customers are great but some are jerks.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I was due for a little reminder. I'll just hang onto it for a while 'till I get better at it. Thank you bendable.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Back when I was dating, I went on a date with a lady and we arrived at a restaurant and it was extremely busy - the hostess was apologetic and doing her best, but my date was just berating her. I almost left on the spot, but decided not to cause more of a scene and just ended it as early as possible. No call back. I want nothing to do with people who treat others like that.

No need to be rude, especially when it's not the fault of the person who is helping you. Always treat people with respect and courtesy.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The Golden Rule.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Being polite and friendly gets better treatment than being an ass, even if the wait staff is having a bad day you can be their bright spot.

I've done this on more than one occasion. It's amazing what this can do to make the service person's day turn around. I was actually the customer after a particularly rude customer at a hotel check-in, and I was able to make what would have been a terrible day for her quite a bit better with a few kind words and some jokes.

Being nice costs nothing, and pays high dividends. How someone treats those of "lower stature" is an accurate indication of their character.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Word!

I feel like I accomplished something as a parent. Both of my daughters are very polite, say please and thank you, help others in need, and almost always walk up to anyone in military attire and thank them for their service.

I find many becoming less civilized as I get older. Or too engrossed in their phone to even notice anything.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If not you end up like Leona Helmsley.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ Dead?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post