SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do truck struts need to be replaced in pairs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do truck struts need to be replaced in pairs? Login/Join 
posted
Just had the tires rotated on my 2014 Tundra with 47k miles. Shop said my front strut is leaking. Little disappointed it needs replaced this soon but what can you do.

I'm out of the factory warranty but purchased the extended so I'm covered.

I can guarantee the dealer will only replace the one strut. Are there any issues with only replacing one?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Although parts can certainly fail at any time, I too am shocked a strut on that truck would require replacement at only 47k. Think I might look for a second opinion before I authorized any parts swapping.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I predict that if they weren’t doing it under warranty they would insist that the struts be replaced in pairs.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Just had the tires rotated on my 2014 Tundra with 47k miles. Shop said my front strut is leaking. Little disappointed it needs replaced this soon but what can you do.

I'm out of the factory warranty but purchased the extended so I'm covered.

I can guarantee the dealer will only replace the one strut. Are there any issues with only replacing one?

It should be ok just replacing one with that mileage. Did you actually look yourself and verify that its leaking. Dealerships never lie, ya know. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it has the TRD Bilsteins I'd make damn sure that I got the exact OE replacement.

Did they show you the leak they saw? A little weeping is normal.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shop said my front strut is leaking.

quote:
I can guarantee the dealer will only replace the one strut.

Was this at the dealer, or another repair shop?

If there were a 1 in front of that 47K, I'd recommend those in pairs. With that low an age/mileage, and if the other one is definitely OK, there should be no problem. I question how much it is actually leaking. A little bit of seepage around the piston rod doesn't hurt anything and is not indicative of failure. If it is running down the tube and pooling in the lower spring seat, that is obviously a different matter.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any issues with only replacing one?
No, I've done it a few times. Including on a 2006 Tundra. When they leak they usually show it well.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would....if you have oem I would splurge on a really nice set. My 2005 was due for a third set at 92,000 miles. my second set were kyb's and they didn't hold up.

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I always replace them in pairs. My OCD kicks in all the time. They have to take half the parts loose when replacing one or both anyway, so labor should be cheaper (unless you are doing it yourself).

The struts do more than stiffen your ride over bumps. Jounce, rebound, yaw dampening, camber curves, etc... are all part of of your suspension architecture. Would be a plus to get the same OEM struts.

Wear in the internal valving of the struts themselves will give different rates over time.

Granted, I haven't seen the Nurburgring on the way to work...

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a 3rd party shop who said the strut needed replaced. I have the dealer warranty so I'll have them verify the leak. I think I'm only going to get what needs fixed under warranty. Not going to proactively replace the other

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
This should be fairly easy to verify. While I like replacing shocks/struts in pairs I don't think it's needed in your case.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no issue with doing them individually. And if its leaking (easy to verify) just get it replaced.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I always replace the entire set of dampers, but I am very particular about these things. I would NEVER replace only one damper so it would always be at least the axle pair. But that is a sub par solution. Check to see if you have the Bilsteins..if yes, you probably have another problem that damaged the damper. Bilsteins don't fail....they last the lifetime of the vehicle.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I like to keep a vehicle balanced.

A damper with 50K on one side will certainly have diminished performance relative to a new one. Those things take a beating, that's one of their jobs.

sudden failure at 20k I might say OK just do that one, but past 50k I would do them all. Or at least the pair.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've always done shocks/struts in pairs. They are a wear item no matter whose brand name is stamped on the side.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post