SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, here's my problem....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, here's my problem.... Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I used to have an individual from our neighborhood visit on a regular basis who was in a wheelchair. We had three steps up to our porch and then a high threshold. For the steps, he had some ATV ramps that were lightweight and portable. For the threshold, he went backwords (as someone mentioned) with a little help from me. In looking at some of the portable threshold ramps members have posted from Amazon, I think they would have clearly made life easier.
As an FYI, my neighbor had short ATV ramps so they were not as easy to navigate as a long custom ramp. I hope you get feeling better.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

This is a sketch I drew up to have a piece of aluminum bent for a ramp from the house to the garage. It is not the same as your requirements, as you don't have the extra 4" drop to the garage level, but the idea is the same. Just have a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum bent with a couple of gentle angles to pass over the threshold, and make it long enough so you navigate over it easily.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

This is a sketch I drew up to have a piece of aluminum bent for a ramp from the house to the garage. It is not the same as your requirements, as you don't have the extra 4" drop to the garage level, but the idea is the same. Just have a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum bent with a couple of gentle angles to pass over the threshold, and make it long enough so you navigate over it easily.

I'd opt for this approach. A guy with some skill with a hydraulic press brake could easily make one. Ten gauge iron (about 1/8" thick) plate should be strong enough and thin enough to work without needing to modify the clearance at the bottom of the door. I'd also have a flange bent on the outside end of the ramp so it could be held in place by a couple of anchor bolts on the outside of the house to avoid marring the wood floor.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If you use metal sheet to join the ramps, I'll also suggest some grip tape to prevent slipping when wet...

Door is well covered so the exterior ramp won't get wet.

And I will leave the details to Felix and you all for this project but I want to say......

Thank you so much for the empathy, sympathy, and well wishes. I had a pretty rough day yesterday. Just not sure where I go from here and for the control freak in me......

I had this surgery thinking my knee problems would be a done issue and now I cannot walk, or get in bed on my own, or get outside, or shower, or..... this is probably the hardest thing I have ever done.

I want to run screaming.... where, I have no idea.

/girly confession

If your government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away from you everything you have.
---- Paul Harvey - 1952 (Remember These Things)

Posts: 8007 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
...this is probably the hardest thing I have ever done.

I want to run screaming.... where, I have no idea.

Although not from the same origin, but I have been in this place.

I will keep you in prayers that your wiring recover completely.

/manly confession

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Please have hope, Neva. Mrs DF, who used to participate in these replacements at Mayo in Phoenix, says that this occasionally happens, but it is rarely permanent. For what that's worth. The DF family will keep you in our prayers.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you for the perspective check, I will be right over here , not bitching about my trivial crap.

wish you were closer, get well soon

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Search "rubber threshold ramps", lots of options.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^ I was going to post this after I read through what everyone had to say! All thicknesses and widths.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I'd opt for this approach. A guy with some skill with a hydraulic press brake could easily make one. Ten gauge iron (about 1/8" thick) plate should be strong enough and thin enough to work without needing to modify the clearance at the bottom of the door. I'd also have a flange bent on the outside end of the ramp so it could be held in place by a couple of anchor bolts on the outside of the house to avoid marring the wood floor.

What occurs to me from your description and this drawing is that likely Neva's threshold is adjustable. Can't tell with the construction cover still on, but there should be four Philips screws visible from the top. The threshold could be adjusted down to accommodate for the new ramp plate. Were one to have time and patience, he/she could integrate those screws into the ramp plate as both fasteners and adjusters... I so want to do this project!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have no carpenter skills to offer, but I'm thinking some skateboard strips would work really well for an anti-skid surface whenever this ramp gets made. I do understand the feeling of being unable to do everyday stuff but here's hoping it will pass real soon.

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Way to go DF! That would certainly come in handy for the final fitting of any type of ramp.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Just fasten a block of wood under the sheet metal on each side of the threshold to keep it from moving back and forth.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
At the military bases I served at, the housing maintenance folks easily and quickly constructed wooden ramps with nonskid surfaces and rails to accommodate family members with special needs like a wheelchair. They even had extended ones if there were steps at the front door. They also retrofitted bathrooms with safety bars and even lowered kitchen sinks to accommodate folks relegated to sitting level.

So from my knothole the solution should be pretty simple. Either buy one of the prefab ramp types cited earlier in this thread or have a "fancier" one constructed for you by some locals. Regardless I wish you all the best for a quick return to your feet!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
You can see the screw holes in the threshold, I forgot about that. A door shop could help if a different height is need to make room for the ramp.

I like the aluminum ramp idea, no rust or rot to worry about. A fabrication shop or maybe even an off road shop should be able to make that, bevel the ends as needed to smooth the transition and make a softer end for the inside.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lechiffre:
quote:
Originally posted by Neva:
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Is your husband handy with tools, and thermodynamics ?

Really? Some old lady, a forum member, comes to the forum for help with a really pretty god-awful life situation and this is it?

Dude.....

I have been suffering from the same problem

I found the picture funny

I need one of those things

I know. I apologized later for snapping right off the draw. I readily admit I was having a rough day and the first response.....

But anyway, I am pretty sure I would kill myself within moments of takeoff. I am somebody's great-grandmother - that s*** is out of my league.

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
thank you for the perspective check, I will be right over here , not bitching about my trivial crap.

wish you were closer, get well soon

I'll tell you. I am still about 70% in shock. How's that happen? You're going along and the world takes a dive.

And my husband.... Frown

I hate the burden that now rests on his shoulders.

If your government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away from you everything you have.
---- Paul Harvey - 1952 (Remember These Things)

Posts: 8007 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I bet senza nome dont mind one bit Neva. Thats what being together in marriage is all about. You concentrate on getting healthy and do it carefully.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell Senza how to remove the construction cover from their threshold? That might appreciably alter the dimensions needed for the ramp.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
prayers for a speedy recovery. Nothing more I could add about the threshold

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Neva if you are anywhere near Louisville or Oldham county my dad can build anything just let me know. He's getting up there in years but that kind of stuff is right up his alley.

He also works at a flooring distribution place in Louisville, would have access to anything you need.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post