SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, here's my problem....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, here's my problem.... Login/Join 
Picture of Neva
posted
For the time being, and the future as I know it, I am in a wheelchair. No guarantees on how long I will be here. The working hypothesis for me is, I will walk again.

Meanwhile, there are some really sucky things I need some help with.

This one, maybe some suggestions and one or more of them will do the trick. My husband (senza on the forum) cannot keep physically dragging my a$$ over the threshold. And I most certainly cannot get over it on my own. So, that said:

1.5-1.75 inside, .5 inch outside, 36 inches wide door opening.

This transition keeps me indoors unless someone can help me get outside since I am more or less wheelchair bound; aka my prison bars.

Any ideas?

https://goo.gl/photos/BhcQrbbAhvJX8KMRA

https://goo.gl/photos/2wFbNbub6KvrhaLv8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Neva,

If your government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away from you everything you have.
---- Paul Harvey - 1952 (Remember These Things)

Posts: 8007 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is your husband handy with tools, and thermodynamics ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Neva

I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties. Do you think something like this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/Prairie...id=1492292067&sr=1-2

If anyone can fight their way back, you can. Best wishes for fast healing.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Is your husband handy with tools, and thermodynamics ?

Really? Some old lady, a forum member, comes to the forum for help with a really pretty god-awful life situation and this is it?

Dude.....

If your government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away from you everything you have.

Posts: 8007 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
From the inside an approach ramp can be made to gradually match the level of the threshold. On the outside there would need to ne a departure ramp. The slopes look like theyd be shallow. It would be important to secure these ramps so they don't move and leave you stranded.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is a standard door size,pic did not come thru.
They make wider,usually special order at box stores.
I have installed hundreds of doors before I retired as a carpenter,mostly inside.
They are a piece of cake to do.
One builder had me install some from south America.
They were a bear ,no mortise or lock holes and real thick.That was real work and couple hours on front and back.
You have to plane about 11 deg on striker side.
You will have to move door jacks to accommodate larger doors.
Usually two inches wider opening on door you select.
Probably more than the average handy man can do.
You probably can ask around some builders may have a sub trim man that could accomplish this.
Most big box stores have jerks that do work under contract that don't leave you happy.
Hope this gives some help,you be closer I would do it.
Sorry to hear your troubles.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see this not be a problem for you. If anyone organizes a work party to fix this, please contact me. I'd like to help with material costs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to say other than sorry about your situation and I hope you are back on your feet soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Search "rubber threshold ramps", lots of options.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is the width of your wheelchair vs the door opening the issue, or the threshold profile? If it's only the threshold, you could order a new prehung exterior door with an ADA compliant threshold. They're roughly 3/4" thick, and have a gentle slope. Make sure to take the pics you have attached here to show the store, so that they understand the flooring to threshold detail.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I read more about these things....you would need this one for the inside:

https://www.amazon.com/Prairie...0Y1PYQW7WSJJJ2N&th=1

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
To get help, location is needed. Maybe a contractor is near.
I wish you well.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neva
posted Hide Post
Threshold height. Especially on the inside, which is several inches.

I had a knee replacement and the nerve block has never worn off - and was supposed to wear off within a day. So I went in for a knee replacement on the 22nd of March and I cannot walk or lift my leg, or control any part of the leg. Among other things.....

This whole totally dependent thing is pretty new for me. Sorry I went right for the jugular, Crom.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I cannot see any of the photos. Are you saying the threshold height on the the inside varies from one side to the other? I wish you were nearby, I would like to try to help.

Do you have someone who could help you fit a rubber/hard rubber ramp to the inside or outside if one could be found that works?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to read about your problem. I hope you have a full recovery.

If I understand, the door is wide enough to allow passage of the wheelchair, correct?

The problem is getting over the "lip?" Sounds like you need a sort of shallow wedge-shaped ramp with a way to hold it in place, keep it from slipping. If that is correct, it's probably something that any decent carpenter could do for you.

I don't think you need to apologize to the member who posted the inappropriate response. My opinion. You are probably frustrated right now, and I don't blame you one bit. If you're used to being self-sufficient, it can be very aggravating to suddenly have the need to depend on others. I had to deal with this a few years ago when I stumbled getting out of the cargo area of our delivery truck, fell to the pavement, and fractured my hip. It took a month and a half of intensive physical therapy in a residential rehab center before I was able to transition between bed and walker by myself.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Neva,

Sorry to hear about your wheelchair woes. I really hope things turn around and you get full use of your leg again!

Posts: 3584 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I am very sorry to read about your problem. I hope you have a full recovery.

If I understand, the door is wide enough to allow passage of the wheelchair, correct?

The problem is getting over the "lip?" Sounds like you need a sort of shallow wedge-shaped ramp with a way to hold it in place, keep it from slipping. If that is correct, it's probably something that any decent carpenter could do for you.

I don't think you need to apologize to the member who posted the inappropriate response. My opinion. You are probably frustrated right now, and I don't blame you one bit. If you're used to being self-sufficient, it can be very aggravating to suddenly have the need to depend on others. I had to deal with this a few years ago when I stumbled getting out of the cargo area of our delivery truck, fell to the pavement, and fractured my hip. It took a month and a half of intensive physical therapy in a residential rehab center before I was able to transition between bed and walker by myself.

The door is wide enough, but the jump from floor to out is too high for me to be able to get out at all. For my husband to lift the front of the wheelchair and me... I worry he is going to end up hurting his back.

I am 64; he is 68.

posted Hide Post
I am not much of a carpenter.

When my father had a stroke and became wheelchair bound, I made a ramp by ripping a couple of 2x4s from the height I needed down to 0.

I then screwed down a piece of 3/4 in. plywood to the 2x4s. I used the extra 2x4 as rails to stope hime from going off sideways.It lasted for many years.

It took me a few hours a good carpenter could do it very quickly.

I wish you a quick recovery.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Treads!
http://www.techtimes.com/artic...g-up-down-stairs.htm

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Neva, I'm not seeing any of the photos. But I wish you the best on your path to recovering your ability to walk.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post