SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Akita attacks and kills volunteer at shelter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Akita attacks and kills volunteer at shelter Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Prayers to the family.

This is going to be a very difficult conversation with our daughter in the morning. I really don't know how I'm going to break the news to her. She knows Carol very well. We were invited into her home almost 8 years ago when we adopted Ringo, our current Akita. She helped our daughter with her science fair project a few years ago exploring the Akita temperament at this same facility. Carol was the lifeblood AARTA, our local Akita rescue group. My wife and I are heartbroken after hearing the news tonight.

Akitas do have a reputation for being aggressive and are extremely strong dogs. It's easy when these stories break to blame owners for mistreatment resulting in aggressive behavior and tragic events. But this hits way too close to home. Carol knew the breed and we're struggling to understand what happened. God bless Carol and her family, there's going to be a lot of curled Akita tails waiting for her on the rainbow bridge.

https://www.azcentral.com/stor...og-attack/971498001/

Police: Volunteer dies after dog attack at boarding facility
Ryan Santistevan, The Republic | azcentral.com Published 4:43 p.m. MT Dec. 20, 2017 | Updated 10:22 p.m. MT Dec. 20, 2017

A woman has died after a dog attack Wednesday at an animal-boarding facility in Phoenix, police said.

The attack occurred at Canine Country Club and Feline Inn near 24th and Washington streets, police said.

The woman, who was not identified, had significant injuries from bites and was found in a dog exercise area, said Sgt. Jonathan Howard, Phoenix police spokesman.

The 59-year-old woman volunteered for a rescue group called Akita Advocates, said Jose Santiago, a spokesman for Maricopa County Animal Care and Control, which also responded to the scene. He confirmed that the dog involved in the attack was an Akita.

"She was here potentially to socialize the animal to prepare it for adoption when the attack took place,'' Santiago said. "No one actually witnessed the attack.’’

Akita Advocates Relocation Team Arizona, which is based in Glendale, issued a statement on Facebook.

"She passed away while helping rehab an orphaned Akita in the hopes of him becoming adoptable," the post read.

The group also said that out of respect of her death, they would not be answering any questions.

Phoenix police had not confirmed the woman's name as of Wednesday night.

Santiago said a worker at the facility was walking on the grounds when he noticed the dog running free, covered in blood. The worker then found the woman severely injured on the grounds, Santiago said. Workers were able to secure the dog and call 911.

Police responded at 2:44 p.m., Howard said.

Howard said the woman was rushed to a hospital, where she died.

Santiago said the dog was owned by Akita Advocates, which told county officials it intends to take possession of the dog on Thursday and then put the animal down.

Santiago said the county agency will follow up to make sure that takes place, and if it doesn't, the county would investigate further and possibly confiscate the dog.

Greg Donahue, owner of Canine Country Club and Feline Inn, talks about the death of a volunteer who was attacked by an Akita on Dec. 20, 2017. Ryan Santistevan/The Republic

Santiago said Canine Country Club and Feline Inn works with various rescue groups to house animals that are being prepared for potential adoption or for shelters that run out of room. Santiago added that Animal Care and Control also uses the facility at times to house animals.

Greg Donahue, owner of Canine Country Club and Feline Inn, said no one who works at the facility reported seeing the attack.

"It looks like the dog turned on her,'' he said, adding that the woman was a volunteer who visited the facility several times a week for the past few years.

“It’s so tragic,'' he said. "A lot of upset people who’ve never seen anything like this, ever. We’ve never had more than a nip. And this is unbelievable.’’

Donahue said he wasn't sure how long the dog had been at the facility.

Police were at the scene investigating Wednesday afternoon.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is very sad. Sorry for the loss 2000z.
God Bless her for her heart to help the animals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear bad things happening to good people. RIP.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. Frown

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Very tragic, I am sorry hearing about your friend.

Akita's are very loyal and protective, however, they are very headstrong, and absolutely need a strong person to guide and control them.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Sad. I have two akitas, one a rescue from a great organization called BEAR (Big East Akita Rescue). My wife worked in a Akita show kennel for almost ten years. They can be difficult and I never relax if another strange dog comes by the house.

Beyond that, my two are mellow.

For someone to help those animals, I have to say she had to be one of the best.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
RIP.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that is sad news

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post