SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is "Black Drawing Salve?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is "Black Drawing Salve?" Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Used it as a kid to draw boils to a head and relieve the great red swollen area. Our dad was a cabinet maker so many splinters. Always had several squeeze tubes around the house.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
There are a lot of claims about black salve but it's never once worked for me.

You have to prime the area with WD-40. DUH! Razz

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
L.R., you are supposed to stay away from fireants!
I was attacked by the fargin' bastages at the gun club.

I exchanged email messages with the office manager at my primary doc's office, setting up appointment for next routine visit. I asked, "By the way, what does the doc recommend for fire ant bites? Is there anything better than the OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream that I'm using?"

The reply suggested black drawing salve.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well dayum boy. Ya ain't supposed to eat da stuff! Slather da stuff where yer problem is and cover it up with a bandage. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Well dayum boy. Ya ain't supposed to eat da stuff!
You mean it's not like a suppository?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

Oh hell I'd answer that but I don't want the thread to get locked! Big Grin hehehehehehehe

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about some pics of the bites?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You joke; but back in the day, when I worked at Eckerd Drugs, I had more than one person ask if we sold flavored suppositories. It was difficult to keep from laughing at them...

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anarion:
when I worked at Eckerd Drugs, I had more than one person ask if we sold flavored suppositories. It was difficult to keep from laughing at them...

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anarion:
when I worked at Eckerd Drugs, I had more than one person ask if we sold flavored suppositories. It was difficult to keep from laughing at them...

Not a product that we carried some 35-odd years ago... Wink

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
We also use the drawing salve on the farm when hooved critter get an abcess. It clears it up in no time.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
What about wasp stings? Does it work as well as grandpa’s tobacco spit?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
When we were kids, my mom always kept something around called Salamanca Herb Salve. Came in a little white glass jar, it was a dark brownish green. Used for drawing out infections and such, worked on poison ivy too.

It was made by the Salamanca indians near where she grew up in Western NY State.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
What about wasp stings? Does it work as well as grandpa’s tobacco spit?

Grandpa spit is powerful medecine. Even works for snake bites.

Wink

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post