SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is "Black Drawing Salve?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is "Black Drawing Salve?" Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
It was suggested that I use this for fire ant bites. I never heard of it.

What is it, and where would I find it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ich...332845&wl13=&veh=sem

You can use it for splinters too.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is ichthamol ointment, it is a tar like substance and will not come out of clothing.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a coal or creosote based product my grandmother used it on us from a very young age to draw out splinters or other embedded items underneath it the skin

Posts: 5736 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Icthammol is damn good stuff for “boils, slivers, and risins”. It can be hard to find. The last time I bought it I got it off amazon in a lifetime supply-sized tub. They no longer offer it. Search “ideal drawing salve”.

And, yeah, put a band-aid brand bandage over it to keep your clothes clean.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For your poultice!

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Wonder if it works on poison ivy?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prid salve.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
Yes it is a coal or creosote based product my grandmother used it on us from a very young age to draw out splinters or other embedded items underneath it the skin

Yep!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of another colored medicine I got put on me as a kid. I don't even know what it was for, but it stained you. Mercurochrome google tells me.

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Rural King sells it.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sounds similar to the black stuff being advertised on TV to be applied to the face to remove blackheads and clear out the pores.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
It works though.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Icthamol ointment. My grandfather was a small town pharmacist (or druggist, if you prefer) so I had quite a few experiences with it. Worked very well for deep splinters and bits of oyster shell.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple soaks with warm water ( no mystery additives or special salts) do the same thing.
The 2018 version on of snake oil

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Ichthamol ointment also called drawing salve. It works, you may not find it on the shelf and have to ask the pharmacist for it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11764 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Reminds me of another colored medicine I got put on me as a kid. I don't even know what it was for, but it stained you. Mercurochrome google tells me.

I got dabbed a time or two with the monkey blood myself....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Simple soaks with warm water ( no mystery additives or special salts) do the same thing.
The 2018 version on of snake oil

Icthammol is a lot older of a product than you think. It has been around since the 1800s.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of claims about black salve but it's never once worked for me.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
L.R., you are supposed to stay away from fireants!

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post