SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What sound source does my wife want?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What sound source does my wife want? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Being an engineer, I try to find solutions. This morning, my wife asked if she could use the six-year old iPod that I threw away in our bedroom trash at her workplace as a music source. I related to her that I felt that I understood her goals, and that the ancient iPod would not function. I further related that it did not work in our home at all, would not connect reliably, did not have cloud connectivity (Apple), and could not use the current apps for Pandora.

I'm not sure what to make of a spouse who goes through the trash, inadvertently noting the shiny silver object therein, and trying to make something positive out of it. That's another concern.

The question at hand is -- what do I purchase for my wife? I will try to summarize the customer requirements, which did take a long time to relate.
1. Connects reliably to a wireless network
2. Not as big as a boom box
3. Not as loud as a boom box
4. Not desirable, as the cleaning people will take it at night for their very own
5. Displays at least one internet music source, such as Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc.
6. Operates on battery power (no outlets nearby, for whatever reason, in a health clinic)
7. Rechargeable
8. Affordable

I would really like to buy one or more of these things so that my wife does not take my Bose equipment to her work and leave her iPhone there, connected to the Bose, overnight.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The latest and most expensive iPhone with a Bose docking station at work and at home, and with a new car sound system that wirelessly links to said iPhone in a brand new Mercedes convertible.

You asked what she wants.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grace mondo

https://gracedigital.com/shop/mondo

Wife has one and likes it. Battery would need charged daily. Needs access to internet wifi. You can use cell phone for remote.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
This morning, my wife asked if she could use the six-year old iPod.....

You should of said Yes and made a run for it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If you have an old smartphone and some computer speakers, that would work. I picked up a Lumia 640 a couple of years ago for $30 when they were clearing them out. It can still connect to wifi and I downloaded the Iheartradio app from the store. I plug the computer speakers into the 3.5mm headphone jack for stereo sound. It accepts microsd cards, so you can put as many mp3s on it as you need. If you can't power the computer speakers, she can just use headphones.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I use a Bluetooth speaker that is synced to my smart phone. I have about 15gb of music on my smart phone as well different streaming services.

They come in a price range for any budget and the smart phone goes with me when I leave for the day.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sonos Play 1

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Walmart sells a Straight Talk iPhone 5s for $99 or you can get the iPhone se for $149 and it has a faster processor and more storage. Just don't activate the phone and use it as an iPod.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
What sound source does my wife want?

One that plays back: "Yes, dear...", consistently and reliably on demand.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I agree, an old smartphone with no sim card.

Does everything.

Could even throw in a $10 bluetooth speaker

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
You don't have an old smart phone laying around?

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:

The question at hand is -- what do I purchase for my wife? I will try to summarize the customer requirements, which did take a long time to relate.
1. Connects reliably to a wireless network
2. Not as big as a boom box
3. Not as loud as a boom box
4. Not desirable, as the cleaning people will take it at night for their very own
5. Displays at least one internet music source, such as Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc.
6. Operates on battery power (no outlets nearby, for whatever reason, in a health clinic)
7. Rechargeable
8. Affordable

I would really like to buy one or more of these things so that my wife does not take my Bose equipment to her work and leave her iPhone there, connected to the Bose, overnight.

My suggestion involves an Amazon Alexa type product. See warning toward end of post.

The amazon tap checks all requirements except #4. Potentially #4 could be lowered with camouflage of some sort.

Warning it is an amazon echo (alexa) device. Insert potential privacy issue arguments.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Why not just her existing phone + a bluetooth speaker?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
If it's six years old it may very well be a much sought after 5th Gen iPod with the Wolfson computer chip in it. If it is in fact one of the, sell it on fleabay. They used to sell pretty quick and were very desirable. I happened to purchase one of these 5th Gens just off the shelf at an Apple store. I would learn later it contained the Wolfs chip which is claimed to be the best sounding iPods.

I know sound is very subjective but for what it's worth, many seem to favor these 5th Gens. Mine sounds pretty good. Here's a link to being able to distinguish these iPods from others..
How to Determine if you have a 5th Gen iPod w/Wolfson sound chip

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

That would be my solution.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I gotta agree, this makes the most sense to me.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what to make of a spouse who goes through the trash, inadvertently noting the shiny silver object therein, and trying to make something positive out of it. That's another concern.

The question at hand is -- what do I purchase for my wife?

I'd say she's a keeper. I'll take frugal and practical any day over frivolous and high maintenance, and twice on Sunday.

In the same situation except for the night crew concern which I don't know how to address unless she has a place to secure the device.

I'm buying a an 8" Fire HD tablet. Just waiting for the sale (although it's somewhat reasonable at $97 w/o ads).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I gotta agree, this makes the most sense to me.

Yeah, this question makes little sense. I can't believe she doesn't have a work computer or cellphone made in last 10 years. Either one can play MP3 files or be used to stream music.

For speakers we are using these Exogear ones. Way too loud for work, but awesome. Can buy two and use them in stereo, great for camping/beach. For office just get cheap $20 Bluetooth one on Amazon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
For cheap Bluetooth speakers with all day battery, the Anker Soundcore leads the pack on Amazon right now.

The $30 Soundcore 1 should be plenty loud for a workplace. If you want something louder for rocking out at home, they have a 20 Watt version, and an updated Soundcore 2 with improved bass.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...YM%2BEeWL&ref=plSrch

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
you can listen to spotify or pandora for free on a computer. wired connection to a speaker and voila.

or, her phone and a bluetooth speaker.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post