SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about visiting the Grand Canyon...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about visiting the Grand Canyon... Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
To stay near the GC you need reservations way in advance, you can try this; http://kaibablodge.com/.... Stayed there and had some fun.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The Grand Canyon isn't finished yet.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was JUST at the Grand Canyon last week. So perhaps I can help.

First of all, COVID!!!! Because of COVID, the East Entrance to the park is closed, as it goes through Indian land and they aren't letting anyone through. I guess Europeans killed enough Indians with Smallpox that they learned their lesson.

Second, when I was there, only ONE of the hiker shuttle buses was running from the Visitor Center, and that was the one that goes to the South Kaibab Trail. And they were only allowing 15 people per bus, so that line sucked, even in the AM.

Third, my personal situation. Traveled there from the East Coast with wife and twin 10 year olds (couch potatoes, mostly). I'm 49, wife 43. We planned to hike South Kaibab to Ooh Ahh Point, but the first 3 switchbacks were COVERED in ice. Like, people were sliding down on their butts or putting spikes on over their boots. We were not so equipped, and the thought of sliding over the side to my death in front of my kids, or having them slide over in front of me, had us retreat to the top and just walk the rim trail back to the visitor center.

We traveled to AZ on Saturday AM (flew to PHX), then drove through Sedona (beautiful, but there is nothing on this earth worse than rich hippies) to Flagstaff, which we used as base of operations. Stuck on East Coast time, we awoke at 0430 and drove to Grand Canyon, arriving just after dawn on Sunday. ONE car ahead of us in line. When we left the park at 3 PM, that line stretched for MILES, beyond the flashing sign that says "2 Hour Wait From Here". My advice....get there EARLY.

By getting there early, we avoided crowds all day. We hit the vistas near the Visitor Center early, with no crowd, did the rim trail, had lunch in the village, and then drove out the East Road toward the East Entrance, up to where the road was closed (at the old stone tower). Then we hit all the pull off vistas from there for photo ops. All were quiet because people were by then probably all hanging out in the crowds by the visitor center.

So yeah, we rolled out around 3 PM having spent about 9 hours inside the park. Since we didn't do any serious hiking due to ice and kids, no big deal from my end. How long to stare at the big hole, ya know? I mean it's beautiful, but life goes on. We were back in Flagstaff by about 4:30 PM, and then the next day went to Petrified Forest, which my wife and I found to be the biggest pleasant surprise of our trip. I thought it would be just some petrified trees, but if you're at all into rocks and cool formations and such, it's really neat.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

That about sums up my visit to the Grand Canyon. Maybe 30-40 minutes? lol Got to the campground about midnight, set up my tent (had nothing, slept on the tent floor and froze!) In the morning, had a quick look and back on the road!

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It's worth the drive and sacrifice. Standing on the rim is breathtaking but the real gem is found in the exploring. Go prepared though. It can be a dangerous place. When I was a teen my parents stopped there while passing by on vacation. We all climbed out of the car and stretched our legs walking around on some pull-out on the rim. In front of us was a huge chimney shaped formation. Looked so close I could hit it with a rock. Being a ball player I picked up a nice round specimen with the right heft and took a lunging throw at that chimney. As I watched the rock fall far short, I dropped my jaw realizing just how overwhelming the proportions of the rock formations and distances were. It was humbling.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
It's worth the drive and sacrifice. Standing on the rim is breathtaking but the real gem is found in the exploring. Go prepared though. It can be a dangerous place. When I was a teen my parents stopped there while passing by on vacation. We all climbed out of the car and stretched our legs walking around on some pull-out on the rim. In front of us was a huge chimney shaped formation. Looked so close I could hit it with a rock. Being a ball player I picked up a nice round specimen with the right heft and took a lunging throw at that chimney. As I watched the rock fall far short, I dropped my jaw realizing just how overwhelming the proportions of the rock formations and distances were. It was humbling.
You're lucky they didn't arrest you! The Rangers don't take kindly to people trying to fill in the Canyon. . . .

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of flashguy

Haha Flash, I've been filling canyons, streams and lakes one rock at a time for decades....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys! The trip is postponed until a future date, as yet to be determined.

Thankfully.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://thepointsguy.com/news/...-east-entrance-open/

The Grand Canyon’s east entrance is open again — What you need to know before you visit

Mike Avila
2 days ago

The east entrance to Grand Canyon National Park is open again after being closed for a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The eastern entry point along with the scenic State Route 64 opened again to visitors on Thursday.

It had been closed due to pandemic restrictions by the Navajo Nation to prevent the spread of coronavirus. The decision to reopen the east gate was made after consulting with tribal leaders and other local officials who determined it was safe.

“Over the past year, we have continued to coordinate with local Cameron Chapter and tribal officials from the Navajo Nation, as well as other stakeholders and business leaders on the east gate closure,” Park Superintendent Ed Keable said in a statement. “As vaccine rollouts continue, we recognize the need to normalize our operations and allow for visitors to have a drive-through option on Highway 64.”

If you’re planning to make a visit, be aware that some COVID-related restrictions remain in place at Desert View. Perhaps the most notable is the fact that the iconic Desert View Watchtower remains closed. You can still take in the breathtaking sight from the Navajo Point.

The 22-mile drive along SR 64, the “Desert View Drive,” provides a number of stunning vistas, including Duck on a Rock and Grandview Point. Parking is available at each viewpoint. However, no services — including food, gas, and the campground site — will be available at Desert View until further notice, due to lack of staffing. The closest place to find such services is about 30 miles away in Cameron.

Also, if you go, don’t forget your credit cards. No cash is being accepted for entry at the moment, but you can use the Your Pass Now and America the Beautiful passes. The South Rim section in Grand Canyon Village does have more available service options. You can learn more on the official Grand Canyon website:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/plany...ic-health-update.htm

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post