SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    18-year-old friend of my 18 y.o. daughter going on European hostel trip alone...bad idea?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

18-year-old friend of my 18 y.o. daughter going on European hostel trip alone...bad idea? Login/Join 
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted
Please note: My daughter is not going...this is about her friend.

My 18-year-old, just-graduated-from-high-school daughter mentioned (with some ill-disguised envy) that one of her 18-year-old, just graduated friends is making a month-long trek of Europe with another 18-year-old girl friend. The trip is being financed by their parents, not the girls (which itself could be a topic for another discussion), before their start of college in a few months. I don't know the other girl, but the friend of my daughter is a very sweet and smart (though somewhat shy) girl, but I don't really know her well enough to predict how prepared she is for the trip or how she'll respond to any problematic issues that may arise. We live in a somewhat affluent area, and the daughter and her family are staunch Democratic, protest-attending, liberal stalwarts; I mention that only because I wonder (as I do with many of those I see in those sign-waving crowds) how truly in touch they are with the geopolitical risks of today that exist outside their Bernie-lovin' bubble.

Here's my question: Would you allow (let alone finance) your 18-year-old daughter to make a month-long hostel trip of Europe with all that's going on over there now, or does that seem like a something that's a rose-colored holdover from more innocent, safer times that's just patently unwise in this era of Islamic terrorism, white slavery, etc. that plagues Europe to an even greater extent than the U.S.?

I get that every age has its issues, but allowing a somewhat naive 18-year-old girl from an affluent suburb to meander with a friend all over Europe in this day and age, at this moment in time, sure seems ill-advised to me, to say the least -- though I'll fess up to being a little over-protective with my kids. I don't plan to say a word to the girl or her parents -- that's certainly their decision to make, and they have -- but just on a general level, I am just curious if you folks believe my surprise and concern over my daughter's friend's plan and her parents' blessing of it is unwarranted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: at-home-daddy,

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post

No.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Allow, probably.

Finance, maybe.

I don't think there's much inherently wrong or crazy about it. Tons of folks take similar trips. One of my Ex girlfriends had done two backpacking and train riding tours across Europe, and had been to China three times, and bought a 1/3 interest in a bar in South America by age 25, all on low budget student type trips, many hostels and such.

The specifics are everything, IMO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would depend on the 18 year old and how worldly \ aware she is.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
no
and
no

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Tough one. She is eighteen so I would be inclined to not finance the whole deal.

Different deal but I have a brother who has continued to do this kind of thing for his daughter and while she is a good person. She cannot seem to get her life together and she is thirty now and they still are being taken advantage of and they think they are doing the right thing for her and cannot figure out while she struggles with certain aspects of her life.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
no and no

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I think what we hear of Europe is as sensationalized as what Europeans hear about the US. I just spent a week driving through The Neatherlands and Germany. Felt very safe at all times and the people were all very nice.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I think what we hear of Europe is as sensationalized as what Europeans hear about the US.

Well said.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
It seems like it's one of those things that would be perfectly fine and a great time...

Until it went sideways and everything turned to shit in a hurry and without warning.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
After being paid to visit more 30 countries (thank you US Navy!!), I'd be inclined to say "no" unless I was there.

Way too much trouble to get into unintentionally much less intentionally or the trouble which comes looking for you.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Trouble finds 18 y.o. girls, that might not find me or you.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
no

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I think what we hear of Europe is as sensationalized as what Europeans hear about the US. I just spent a week driving through The Neatherlands and Germany. Felt very safe at all times and the people were all very nice.

You're not an 18 year old girl, Jim.

OP, hell no. For various reasons.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trouble finds 18 y.o. girls, that might not find me or you.

This is the correct answer. Has nothing to do with terrorism, everything to do with young men living in hostels preying on young women.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a graduation gift?

Depends on the kid but probably. They could get in just as much trouble touring the U.S.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
No, based on what's going on now over there, young and female and American to much of a target. Maybe a parent accompanied trip to Ireland, and places not on terrorist list of trouble, sure. It's not the same world as it use to be.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I thought the backpacking thru Europe and staying in hostels was for graduating from college?

18 seems a little young and after college is your last hooray before becoming a working stiff for 40 years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Hostels also have a significant problem presently with bed bugs. You could end up financing the after effects when you treat your house as well once she and her luggage return.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does she have the ability to finance it on her own is it worth it to her to do that?

If the answers to those two questions are yes, then I wouldn't get into an argument with her about "allowing" it since she is an adult.

Just discuss the concerns you have, which I believe are legitimate.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post