SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fire All Striking Teachers And Send Their Paychecks To Students’ Parents
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire All Striking Teachers And Send Their Paychecks To Students’ Parents Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The striking teachers -- and politicians caving to them -- lack a rudimentary knowledge of the real reasons teacher salaries aren't as high as they want and their school books and materials are old and scant.

After years of advocacy, with no substantial support oher than a few stalwarts here, it is tremendously gratifying to see a lengthy article completely agreeing, and with the facts and figures, with my proposal to close the public schools.

It is much too lengthy to post here, and has lots of charts, tables, etc, a cut and paste nightmare.

Link

Read and heed!

[Edit to correct link. Thanks, Veeper!]

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
The teacher’s unions have been complicit in creating a system that reaches into students and parents lives much further than reading, writing and arithmetic. They’ve done it to expand their membership and influence in an effort to secure more power for themselves. Now the whole system is out of control and unsustainable. They will get what they deserve

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
This link will take you to the top of the article:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/...to-students-parents/

Wink

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
...And Send Their Paychecks To Students’ Parents

Better yet, send their paychecks to those of us without school age children who are fleeced out of thousands every year for zero benefit.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indianapolis Public schools are floating an tax increase of almost one billion dollars. It was supposed to be on the May ballot where nobody notices, but have pushed it to November. They will probably get it as no one pays attention

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I would love to see them all get canned, state by state and bust the unions and get back to reality.

our private school cuts thru all the crap and gets things done today.

I'm paying twice.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
With regards to OK, my understanding is (please correct if wrong); the state only spends what it has. The state spends what was received the year prior.

The teachers do not accept this and want the state to give them raises today based on forecasted money the state receives in the future (ie; teachers want the state to go into debt for them).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I can make 2 lists of 20 items. One will describe a prison. the other will describe a government indoctrination building (aka - school).

The lists will be identical.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The Teachers union is a great thing apparently, if you are not the one paying the bills.

My Brother is a retired teacher. With 2 degrees he made the max pay possible for a middle school teacher here. Now retired, he gets his full salary and free health care for LIFE! He has never complained and doesn't now... actually he contently keeps his mouth shut about it.

WTF are these people complaining about?

For the record, due to personal experiences I'm not a fan of educators in general.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
This is what is happening locally.

We have a HUGE influx of refugees into our community. The majority don't work. They drive nicer cars than I can afford. They are buying houses at an alarming rate. Most aren't even on the market for a day. They move 3-4 families into "single family dwellings", yet send all their kids to public schools, but only pay school taxes based on one dwelling. Some of these kids can't speak English, and most of the parents don't. From what I am seeing, the few that do work, work for families, and get paid cash. No taxes like the rest of us.

How do we fix this?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As is often the case, there might be another side to this story. I spent 35 years teaching Technical and Industrial education in high school. I have a Master's Degree and believe it or not, I almost made the incredible sum of $50,000 in my last year. I also had an administrative certificate and was a department head. There certainly are problems in public education and anyone who denies this is a fool. However it may be that they are not entirely the fault of the teachers and that there are a significant number of teachers who work very hard and are effective. Certainly there are some who are not.
Just for grins, how many of us think the criminal justice system is working well. The police catch them sometimes (God bless the cops!) and what happens? The crook is back out before the officer finishes the paperwork.
How about the medical profession. Ever look up the annual deaths due to doctor mistakes? Last week in the doctor's office I had to point out the correct order of the two blood work tests even though I had highlighted the dates on them.
As we look at the jobs of others, I suppose we could just fire everyone in every job but maybe we need to take a look at the problems relating to their job before we do it.
Here's a link to some comments by a Florida teacher of the year. I tried to verify they are authentic. She calls it like it is and seems to be Second Amendment supportive.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...school-shooting.html

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
This is what is happening locally.

We have a HUGE influx of refugees into our community. The majority don't work. They drive nicer cars than I can afford. They are buying houses at an alarming rate. Most aren't even on the market for a day. They move 3-4 families into "single family dwellings", yet send all their kids to public schools, but only pay school taxes based on one dwelling. Some of these kids can't speak English, and most of the parents don't. From what I am seeing, the few that do work, work for families, and get paid cash. No taxes like the rest of us.

How do we fix this?

find that house, report them and deport them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
As is often the case, there might be another side to this story. I spent 35 years teaching Technical and Industrial education in high school. I have a Master's Degree and believe it or not, I almost made the incredible sum of $50,000 in my last year. I also had an administrative certificate and was a department head. There certainly are problems in public education and anyone who denies this is a fool. However it may be that they are not entirely the fault of the teachers.

What puzzles me is that the hard working competent teachers are not willing to support the changes to a private system that would benefit them enormously, higher salaries and benefits, and rid them of much of the nonsense inflicted on them, us and the students by the public school authorities. Maybe they do but dare not say it publicly. I know some retired teachers who do support my approach.

There is no reason to assume that the shortcomings of the public school system are the fault of teachers, at least not all of them or even most of them. The system isn’t getting the job done as it is, and should be changed.

Too much resources are expended, too little results. There is too much teaching and not enough learning!

In my scheme, private organizations would provide an education varying in approach, some for Rhode Scholar wannabees, some for street sweepers, some for beauticians, some for diplomats, musicians, truck drivers, plumbers. Not everyone needs the same skills and information. Parents can pick what is appropriate, suited, for their child. Programs which are doing the job effectively will draw more students. Those who aren’t won’t. Teachers who are effective will be in demand. Others less so will find other opportunities.

Close the schools, sell the land.

What about Friday night football?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
As is often the case, there might be another side to this story. I spent 35 years teaching Technical and Industrial education in high school. I have a Master's Degree and believe it or not, I almost made the incredible sum of $50,000 in my last year. I also had an administrative certificate and was a department head. There certainly are problems in public education and anyone who denies this is a fool. However it may be that they are not entirely the fault of the teachers and that there are a significant number of teachers who work very hard and are effective. Certainly there are some who are not.
Just for grins, how many of us think the criminal justice system is working well. The police catch them sometimes (God bless the cops!) and what happens? The crook is back out before the officer finishes the paperwork.
How about the medical profession. Ever look up the annual deaths due to doctor mistakes? Last week in the doctor's office I had to point out the correct order of the two blood work tests even though I had highlighted the dates on them.
As we look at the jobs of others, I suppose we could just fire everyone in every job but maybe we need to take a look at the problems relating to their job before we do it.
Here's a link to some comments by a Florida teacher of the year. I tried to verify they are authentic. She calls it like it is and seems to be Second Amendment supportive.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...school-shooting.html

Gene, great post, and also the link to a great article. I can't believe what todays teachers have to put up with. It definitely starts at home.

I'm in and out of people's homes daily, and can't believe what parents allow their kids to act like. Just scary what this is all leading up to!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Tucson Unified School District had a superintendent several years ago who wanted to hire three administrative assistants at $94,000 per year, each. They were three of her chums, I might add.

The public got wind of her scheme and the idea went away. So did she when her contract expired, off to a school district in Colorado..

I don't mind paying more money for teachers and maintenance help, but let's not throw away taxpayer money for unnecessary administrative help.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
From the article link:
"While Oklahoma has the country’s lowest tax on oil and natural gas production, teachers’ salaries remain stubbornly low, at 49th in the nation. According to data provided by the National Education Association (NEA), teachers make $45,276, nearly $13,077 below the nationwide average of $58,353 and well below the nationwide high of New York."

If your salary is $13,077 below average, would $6,000 fix it? When it's phased in over 3 years? I guarantee it would be many years before another raise came along. This raise is the first raise of any kind in 10 years.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Better yet, send their paychecks to those of us without school age children who are fleeced out of thousands every year for zero benefit.

My "adopted sister" is a teacher, but I'll be quick to say: as a non-parent, I'm more than a little peeved with my rate of return on this investment!

I work with some bright kids on the local high school robotics team, but many others I see out there are clearly not holding onto the lessons the teachers are offering.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well maybe no benefit. But home values are directly tied to school system quality. Of course if your school system sucks then, yeah, you are getting fleeced.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
From the article link:
"While Oklahoma has the country’s lowest tax on oil and natural gas production, teachers’ salaries remain stubbornly low, at 49th in the nation. According to data provided by the National Education Association (NEA), teachers make $45,276, nearly $13,077 below the nationwide average of $58,353 and well below the nationwide high of New York."

If your salary is $13,077 below average, would $6,000 fix it? When it's phased in over 3 years? I guarantee it would be many years before another raise came along. This raise is the first raise of any kind in 10 years.
As suspected, the NEA grabbed misleading data. Oklahoma is #6 most affordable state (#5 cost of living and #6 housing cost) so it makes sense that their salary is below the median.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
quote:

Well maybe no benefit. But home values are directly tied to school system quality. Of course if your school system sucks then, yeah, you are getting fleeced.
School system tests well on standardized tests so they rank fine, but they teach to the tests and kids don't really learn. Soon as standardized testing is done its movie time.

Home values are imaginary until you sell.