SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car insurance discussion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car insurance discussion Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
USAA may be more expensive but the service has been outstanding. I've had Geico before and they were horrible to deal with if you actually had to file a claim.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought, that given the number of auto insurance ads seen on television, it must be a very lucrative business. Then one day, I was traveling down a busy 6 lane highway. In the space of 10 minutes, there must have been several thousand cars that passed me going in the opposite direction. It occurred to me, that all these cars are paying $500-$1000 or more annually and how few will have claims in the next 12 months. Then I understood why I see so many of those ads.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Consider AMICA.
Right here baby! I got this advice a few years back and its the best darn auto insurence company I've ever delt with. Basic coverage on my old car is $ 345.oo per year. They got a office right in West Chester, Ohio. BTW, I learned of Amice right here in Sig Forum.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Consider raising your deductibles. $500 or $1000 can save you quite a bit in premiums.

You should at least get quotes from State Farm for higher deductibles before switching, IMO. Depending on age of car, it may not make financial sense to carry collision/comprehensive as the insurance payout may be lower than you expect.

I just went to Consumer Reports to check on their ratings. The readers' rating of Amica is tops, so there's that.
Here are some recommendations from their buyers' guide:

quote:
Set the Deductible Right
A higher deductible reduces your premium because you pay more out of pocket if you have a claim. By hiking the collision insurance deductible to $1,000 from $500, a married couple with two new Toyota Camry LEs can cut their annual premium by $140 per year on average nationally , we found in our latest study of car insurance pricing. If you have a good driving record and haven’t had an at-fault accident in years, or ever, opting for a higher deductible on collision might be a good bet. Just make sure you can afford to pay it if your luck runs out.
Review All Your Coverage
Liability coverage pays for bodily injury and property damage that you cause in an accident. Don’t get caught short by reducing your liability limits to the state minimums. Buying more coverage might seem like an odd way to save, but if you have a costly claim, your personal assets may be at risk. Buy standard 100/300/100 coverage, which pays for bodily injury up to $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident, and property damage up to $100,000. If you have a high net worth, boost bodily injury even further.
• One of every eight drivers today may be uninsured, according to the Insurance Research Council. Protect yourself by buying uninsured/underinsured motorist protection with the same limits as your liability coverage.
Consider canceling your collision and/or comprehensive coverage when the annual cost equals or exceeds 10 percent of your car’s book value . Otherwise, you could end up paying more over time than you would recoup for repair or replacement of your damaged, stolen, or totaled vehicle.
• If you have another car that you can use while your vehicle is being repaired, forgo rental-reimbursement coverage. Dump roadside assistance if you have an auto-club membership that’s a better deal—or if it comes as part of your car’s warranty.
• Review your personal injury protection and medical payments coverage: Forget it if you have good health coverage; keep it if you don’t or if your usual passengers might not be well-insured.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You need to find a broker and shop your insurance whenever it goes up. If it goes up, he/she shops it around if all other companies are similarly priced, then there is no reason to change. Just suck it up and realize that as cars go up in cost, so does the insurance. Think about how much a 2007 F150 with decent options cost compared to today. Cars are much more to repair now.

I shop my insurance any time it goes up more than $3 per month. So far the results were keep with same company due to multi-line discount (Life Auto Home) even if I can save $5 per month on car by switching I lose $50 per year discount on home. Luckily every single time I call about a raise in premiums they find something they can change. Once it was a discount fell off policy; another time some piece of info changed incorrectly on system; another time my credit report expired and they just needed permission to rerun it.

Find a broker you like/trust and call him every time it raises more than a couple percent. He'll thank you for the call. He rather keep his commission, even if it's $5 less than see his competition four doors down get it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I've been on the other side of GEICO claims twice. The most disreputable group of claims people I've every met.

Would never do business with that company and if another one of their insureds hits me, I'm just filing in court the next day. Will not deal with GEICO again.

(Both happened with cars where I had lots of coverage if I hit someone but no coverage for damage to my car. Both cars were older.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've been with Amica for about 7 yrs now, never had to file a claim so I can't comment on that but premiums have gone down every year - not a large amount - have comprehensive.

Had Geico for about 6 yrs before I switched to Amica because Geico "claimed" they couldn't give me a lower rate; after I switched to Amica and called Geico to cancel their coverage, I told them why I was canceling which is when they told me they could match Amica's rate! Mad

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Been with State Farm since 1978, and if they raise my rates that much on my next semi-annual bill I am GONE.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we make a Sug Forum insurance co?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:

Consider raising your deductibles. $500 or $1000 can save you quite a bit in premiums.

This,if you can foot the risk.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Left State Farm after twenty plus years. My agent was close friend. When I told him I was moving to GEICO he asked the rates compared to his. I told him and he said he would change too for that much of a savings. Ten years later still happy.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Growing up my Dad was my insurance agent since he worked for Nationwide. As soon as he retired he told me to look elsewhere because their rates were so high. We tried Liberty Mutual then switched to esurance. The rates were very good initially then due to accidents by daughter #1, my wife and then daughter #2 (while driving under temp permit) my rates were through the roof.

My Dad then suggested Travelers so I gave them a call. I was SHOCKED at how much we saved. The monthly savings was more than $200 per month. We bundled car and homeowners. So far (knocking on wood) no claims with them but we are very happy even after adding two more cars to the policy.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post