SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car insurance discussion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car insurance discussion Login/Join 
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted
I've had State Farm for over 20 years now, and their rates have been what I considered decent until this go around when the bill almost doubled from $300 a half to $500 a half. I have no tickets in 20+ years, am over 40 and have had no claims in 5+ years (the one claim I've ever filed after my ex was involvrd in an accident.) I keep low deductibles ($100/$250) and have good to above average credit.

I've been seriously considering switching to a new company but don't know how good any other companies really are since I've been with SF my entire adult life. I received a quote from USAA and it was actually higher than SF and Geico ($200 less than SF.) Does anyone have any experience with Geico, Progressive or Allstate? Reading reviews online show they are rated well but I wanted some 1st hand knowledge before I decide whether to switch or not. My payment is due on Feb 28th so I have a few days to decide if I will switch or not.

Thank you in advance for feedback.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
We have had GEICO all over the US for the past 10+ years. We can't find anyone who can beat the price.

I have no clue if it is any good, as we haven't filed a claim. Could be when they are needed the nightmare will begin.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve had Grange for about four years now. It creeped up this year. Was $453 every six months now it’s $463. My sister’s my agent, I will have to ask her. My home insurance is through Grange also.

No claims. Last non line of duty crash was six years ago and the other person’s insurance took care of everything.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have any experience with Geico, Progressive or Allstate?

Geico for 9 years. The premiums have gone up a little, but only slightly (~$50 for 6 months), even with two tickets in a week in 2012. One claim for a rear-ender in 2010. The other guy hit me, but they recovered and paid me my deductible. Another claim for a cracked windshield in 2016. No experience with Progressive. Allstate was good, but 25 years ago.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My guess is they'll all probably be going up as they try to keep ahead of the multiple millions in claims payments to people who lost everything in the hurricanes and floods last year.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In my opinion you can't go wrong with any of the major names - pick the one with the lowest rate.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I used to do my own insurance shopping. It was a pain in the ass, and time consuming.

Then, the manager of the credit union branch where I did my banking ("credit unioning?") left and went out on her own, as an independent insurance agent. She shops the market for me, does a great job, and has saved me significant time and $$ on family auto, homeowner, and business vehicle insurance.

My suggestion: find a good independent agent and let her / him do the work for you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider AMICA.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had State Farm for over 20 years now, and their rates have been what I considered decent until this go around when the bill almost doubled from $300 a half to $500 a half.

I have never tried this with insurance, but is it possible that if you tell them you want to cancel and why, they might try to keep your business? Especially if you have an agent you deal with in person. He or she won't want to lose your business either.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I’ve had Grange for about four years now. It creeped up this year. Was $453 every six months now it’s $463. My sister’s my agent, I will have to ask her. My home insurance is through Grange also.

No claims. Last non line of duty crash was six years ago and the other person’s insurance took care of everything.

I've had Grange forever. Changing out, they are getting too high. Ask your sister to quote something else. And shop elsewhere. I'm not suggesting you leave your sister, just get some comps.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
We’ve been on the victim end of two hit and run accidents the last 2.5 years. Ours went up a little over $100 per six month for two cars. We not pay $700 every six months total for six cars. USAA for us.

Consider raising your deductibles. $500 or $1000 can save you quite a bit in premiums.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Farm Bureau. And no matter who you choose in Michigan, you are screwed. Highest rates in the nation. I was a long time State Farm customer and they did me dirty too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, your deductibles are too low in the insurance world’s eyes.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I was with USAA for many years, they got crazy expensive after we moved to FL. Then I switched to State Farm, used a local agent here. It was much less than USAA. When I added a 2003 Honda Civic to our coverage, it cost an additional $120 a month. $120/month for a 15 year old Civic?

That made me shop around and I ended up at Progressive. Great thing about them is you get a discount if you pay 6 months up front. I think I'm around $50/month for it. But then again, it seems our rates are higher in FL probably due to the number of people, weather and especially tourists driving around the Orlando area.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have had Liberty Mutual for many years. I don't know how they are at paying claims, but they are Johnny Quick about cashing my premium checks.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I have had Liberty Mutual for many years. I don't know how they are at paying claims, but they are Johnny Quick about cashing my premium checks.

They all do that.

posted Hide Post
Work in the industry on the commercial side. Renewal rates with most carriers have been going up 20% or more. Auto rates have been unprofitable for several years.
Reasons include higher repair costs, higher frequency of claims due to distracted driving etc.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One issue that is never seen in these frequent discussions of car insurance is what coverages you are getting for the price, and what is actually covered.

Auto insurance policies are not fungible. Even if the stated amounts of maximum and deductibles are the same, the coverage details can vary considerably in the details within each type of coverage. There may be some states that require a specified policy form, all identical in the state. AFAIK, in Texas, and Whackyland, there is no standard policy form that all insurers in the state must use.

So not only are you comparing apples and oranges in a price only comparison, you may be comparing apples and pork bellies.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're someone like me driving older vehicles and don't have full coverage (i.e. collision), the value of insurance has decreased.

Why? There are now more drivers without a license and/or insurance. Someone may hit you, the police come, they admit fault, get a ticket, you exchange insurance info, and a day later you find out their insurance is expired. Or they don't speak english or an address, so the police let them go. Without collision, your insurance is no help and you pay for the repairs.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore: I have never tried this with insurance, but is it possible that if you tell them you want to cancel and why, they might try to keep your business? Especially if you have an agent you deal with in person. He or she won't want to lose your business either.
I was actually thinking about doing this. Our agent and my mom have been friends for over 50 years since they were in the church choir together.

This morning I've checked Liberty Mutual and Allstate and they, like USAA, were actually higher than my newest SF quote.

So far Geico has the best rate and Progressive's website keeps timing out on the last page prior to giving me a quote. I'm not a big fan of having a huge deductible but will try that and see what happens.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post