SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!? Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
One more point I should have made in my last post. My gut reaction, based upon his words and actions, this kid knew exactly what was up when the officer walked up on him. The kid knew, and the officer knew he knew too. But he did a nice job acting for the camera he activated right before first contact.

It doesn't matter who knew what or when. When does a speeding ticket require walking up with weapon pulled and then reaching into a man's pocket without permission ?

You can say "felony stop" or whatever, but that doesn't apply here does it ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
First...I am NOT A JUDGE!!!

But I am a rider with a few years and miles under my belt. Yes; I've been pulled over and ticketed for speeding. So I'm not going to comment on the gun or badge or flashing lights or any of that. Bike rider probably was speeding; if you ride you know that.

But if you pull me over and during the course of normal business you state you're going to knock me/bike over, you are no more fit to be in public as even a private citizen much less an officer of the law.

I've never been an officer either. If I didn't do my job per company policy and procedure I'd be fired. My opinion is that this officer needs fired. Just like any of us that screw up.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Misdemeanor traffic offense

Hello

McFly

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Hello

McFly
I've been busted in that area running in excess of 90, younger and dumber, the law there is I believe 40+ over the limit can be considered "felony flight". This is the way it was explained to me. They can just assume you must be escaping from the commission of a crime if you're going that fast.

I have no idea how fast he was going, and not making any excuses, just saying.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Officer actually endangered himself when he grabbed his wallet - a passerby could have easily mistaken this for armed robbery and engaged the alleged attacker.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
looks like strong armed robbery to me.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Hello

McFly
I've been busted in that area running in excess of 90, younger and dumber, the law there is I believe 40+ over the limit can be considered "felony flight". This is the way it was explained to me. They can just assume you must be escaping from the commission of a crime if you're going that fast.

I have no idea how fast he was going, and not making any excuses, just saying.

The longer video shows 127MPH at one point.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more point I should have made in my last post. My gut reaction, based upon his words and actions, this kid knew exactly what was up when the officer walked up on him. The kid knew, and the officer knew he knew too. But he did a nice job acting for the camera he activated right before first contact.

nothing like a little victim blaming on this sunny thursday afternoon.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is there a link to that longer video?

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Is there a link to that longer video?

I looked for it.

Yesterday, I watched the OP linked video, and right after, a longer version played, it ran about 8 minutes and started with the stop, but then it played the "up to the point of the stop". Had the kid riding, weaving through traffic, and at one point up to 127MPH (shown by a red comment flag pointing at the speedo) then he slows to about 84MPH (another red flag pointer) and he pulls a wheelie, then sees a State Trooper in the median, points it out with a red pointer, the kid pulls to the right lane and the red pointer shows him doing 67MPH. After he is several hundred yards down the road, he speeds back up to around the 80 MPH (my estimates) and eventually leads to the red light where he stops.

I am betting he may have seen the cop behind him and his party lights, above the passenger visor area.

I am not looking to excuse the cop's actions, but I would want to know more about the "up to this point", both the rider, and the cop, as well as history for both of them.

I think the kid pulled the longer video, and I should have linked it yesterday.

In any event, I have a photgraphic memory and can "replay" it in my head.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Officer actually endangered himself when he grabbed his wallet - a passerby could have easily mistaken this for armed robbery and engaged the alleged attacker.

Yep.

Being an 'off duty' policeman or not, and having a tiny badge visible from close range at particular angles, or not, that LEO was brain-dead.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

So...next time you get pulled over I assume you would be totally fine if the officer does it in plain clothes, gun drawn, and reaches in your car to take your wallet out of your pocket?

And would it be OK if they do it to your wife or kid?

Outside of the rider committing some serious felony (in which case he would have been arrested), this was not OK.

I've had quite the pleasant interaction with my local LE after getting pulled over riding.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No reasonable excuse exists. That officer is toast.

If the officer is going to make an arrest, he should make it obvious that he is an officer making an arrest. What's with that "holding pistol to side of chest" thing ?!?!

In Utah, where over 10% of the people are armed, he would likely have been shot. Especially when he snatched the wallet.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The problem with abusive officers is that there's nothing you can do to prevent it while it's happening. And almost as much chance if fixing it in Court later. The best you can do is be polite and take it. Just pray he's not a psycho and preparing to execute you, because if you defend against that, even successfully, his buddies may execute you in the response, as they sometimes do. If they don't, you'll be beaten to a pulp, and that's if you're lucky. In any case you're basically screwed if you're the victim so to speak of a corrupt officer. Sort of like some bad cops in third world shitholes. Sometimes the thin blue line is thicker that one would hopel

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post