SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There is no excuse for this. Beyond reckless and not worth it.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the linked news story: "I haven't heard the other side of the story, but I don't like what I see," the sheriff told Q13 News. The Sheriff couldn't be bothered to call the detective in to discuss before putting him off on admin leave and giving some juicy soundbites to the local media? Nice job backing your guys.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based on the calm anger expressed by the detective, where he judges the rider as endangering everyone, it would not surprise me that he has a personal loss involving a motorcycle. Death of a loved one, family member, or some deep trauma could create a psychological wound that rises quickly when triggered.

Oh, he was triggered all right. Had his finger all up on it, in fact.

There certainly were other solutions, and this is the second or third worst possible one. If he's so traumatized he can't be on road with idiots he certainly shouldn't be in that line of work.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
That moron ought to be fired.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31437 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
From the linked news story: "I haven't heard the other side of the story, but I don't like what I see," the sheriff told Q13 News. The Sheriff couldn't be bothered to call the detective in to discuss before putting him off on admin leave and giving some juicy soundbites to the local media? Nice job backing your guys.

Well "his guy" is a retard.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unannounced, approaching with gun drawn and ready, angry- Good shot @ 7yards in self defense?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Unannounced, not in uniform, approaching with gun drawn and ready, angry- Good shot @ 7yards in self defense?

Yep, good candidate to get shot at.
And, moron didn't say he was the police until 36 seconds after he pointed the gun at the guy. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well here is one fact I find interesting. Most motorcycle riders record their entire trip in case of accidents. He claims to have just started recording right before the incident. #2. There are red and blue lights on the windshield of the unmarked car, leading me to belive he was trying to pull the bike over before it stopped. #3. Having the lights flashing and the bike stopping he may not have announced his office immediately figuring that it was obvious he was the police. Lastly. If the bike rider or you was being robbed by someone with a gun. And you knew it was being recorded. Wouldnt you say at some point, something to the effect of "hey man dont rob me what do you want" not what the biker said of let me take my helmet off, let me get off the bike. Again indicating that he more than likely knew it was a police officer pulling him over.

Not having the video of what happed before is the part i am most suspicious about. It will be interesting to see if there is dash cam video of the biker from the squad car.

Posts: 34 | Registered: June 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The longer video posted by cheni answers most of your and Kevincw's questions. Read his explanation before and after as to the camera not being on earlier.

The officer is clearly pissed (road rage level if done by a civilian) about the way the guy was driving. Once the officer calms down a bit, gets a look at the guys ID and holsters his weapon, (had his finger all over the trigger in the initial stop) his statements and demeanor seem to show this was all about him being pissed about the guys driving, not the points Kevin brought up as possible motives.

Taken at face value, this doesn't look good for the officer from my perspective. There would be felony charges if done by anyone else.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
There's a lot going on there, the video shows him at reasonable speed coming up to a light, perhaps he was flying at high speed and the cop just caught up to him at the light.

The rider wasn't being observant of his mirrors, it's clear the unmarked car has the red and blues going, not sure why he didn't hit his siren and use a PA to tell the guy to pull over, maybe unmarked didn't have all that but would an unmarked car only have hidden internal lights?

How did he not see the car behind him with the police lights going, it's possible too he thought he got away from the cop and wasn't expecting him to catch up...

I check my mirrors at stop lights constantly, too many car drivers don't pay attention or see motorcycles, flashing my brake lights as they approach (cars)

The gun was a bit much, guess the cop didn't figure there was a camera there.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Remove the unholstered weapon from the equation, and I imagine most people would have much less of a problem with the officer's actions.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Remove the unholstered weapon from the equation, and I imagine most people would have much less of a problem with the officer's actions.

Yep I'd have zero issues with him, the way he talked or what he said, other than the firearm it looked like a routine stop.

Oh and the I can't hear you bullshit is bullshit, I have a full face and can hear people talking to me clearly, it's not as clear as having no helmet on, but if I'm looking at you I can hear you, and I can open the front and hear.

He got caught and didn't expect it....

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
This makes me wonder how many of these instances go unrecorded.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh and the I can't hear you bullshit is bullshit, I have a full face and can hear people talking to me clearly, it's not as clear as having no helmet on, but if I'm looking at you I can hear you, and I can open the front and hear.

Do you ride with earplugs in?

I do, to keep my hearing from getting worse. I know other riders who do.

That, with a full face muffles outside sound pretty effectively. I know I'd want to clearly hear the commands of an idiot pointing a gun at me

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31437 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Sheriff couldn't be bothered to call the detective in to discuss before putting him off on admin leave and giving some juicy soundbites to the local media? Nice job backing your guys.

or the Sheriff knows this detective (being a detective he's probably been on the force for many years) and what a douche he is. I don't condone punishing someone without asking their side but paid admin time isn't a punishment so I'm ok with it......

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I disagree. The guy (officer) in the video did not identify himself, is not displaying a badge, department shirt, jacket or any other form of ID. He stops a man on a motorcycle in traffic, demands his ID, then reaches into his pocket to get it himself.

There is a BIG problem with that. You approach me like that and you damn well better have a legitimate form of ID or I'm going to assume you're a FAKE officer and I'm going to bolt until I can get 911 on the line.

As a side note I'm surrpised the 'officer' didn't allow the guy to remove his helmet. How else would he know if the photo on the ID is the guy behind the helmet?

To qualify my remarks I've been out casually with officers off duty when someone did something significantly stupid for them to intervene. They handled it much better IMHO

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
quote:

I disagree. The guy (officer) in the video did not identify himself, is not displaying a badge, department shirt, jacket or any other form of ID. He stops a man on a motorcycle in traffic, demands his ID, then reaches into his pocket to get it himself.

There is a BIG problem with that. You approach me like that and you damn well better have a legitimate form of ID or I'm going to assume you're a FAKE officer and I'm going to bolt until I can get 911 on the line.

His badge was clipped on the outside of his pants pocket. But nevertheless, I do agree with you. The officer still acted out of bounds even if he had not had his weapon drawn. That act though really took his behavior to a much more egregious level.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rider wasn't being observant of his mirrors, it's clear the unmarked car has the red and blues going, not sure why he didn't hit his siren and use a PA to tell the guy to pull over, maybe unmarked didn't have all that but would an unmarked car only have hidden internal lights?

Then those were very slow lights. In the posted video, I see the first white flash at 51s and the second white flash at 57s when the cop is at his side. I can't see any blue or red flashes.

That is not what I'd expect from a police vehicle making a traffic stop. Like you said, I'd expect to see a lot more but maybe because he's a detective he only has a white bar?

And someone else posted he had his finger all over the trigger. I never see it move from the slide.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....

Dept has no-pursuit policy except for very specific and egregious felony type crimes.

Even in cases of an authorized pursuit, it ain’t to be done in an unmarked car.

Pretty much everyone has take home car once off probation.

Very curious to hear “the rest of the story...”

As far as the Sheriff, it is an election year. He is being challenged and he knows whose votes he needs and what they want to hear. He made a point of inserting himself into the Sheriff Joe pardon (and not in support of it...). My guess is about 70% of the King County voters are made up of city of Seattle residents, and they get to vote on the position.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkain:
Lastly. If the bike rider or you was being robbed by someone with a gun. And you knew it was being recorded. Wouldnt you say at some point, something to the effect of "hey man dont rob me what do you want" not what the biker said of let me take my helmet off, let me get off the bike. Again indicating that he more than likely knew it was a police officer pulling him over..

Obviously, I have an issue with a cop walking up with a gun drawn. But, something sounds fishy about this - almost like it was some kind of a set up.

The cop walks up and says "What (or How) are you doing!"

The rider says "Oh shit! What are you doing to me!?" Then, "Why do you have a gun on me? I'm unarmed."

I have not experienced someone walking up to me with a gun drawn, but I'm pretty sure my reaction would be more like "OH SHIT!!"

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post