SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!? Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
This *can't* be legal. Luckily the biker was recording.

Off duty cop walks up to a biker at a red light with gun drawn, is a complete douchebag, and then yanks the guy's wallet.

'Driving reckless' or not, I'd have shit myself to turn around and see this.

I can't find the video anywhere else online. Here's a link to the FB video the local news posted -- video should play without being logged into Facebook.

LINK TO VIDEO

ETA: we have a story now. The cop was placed on administrative leave, effective tomorrow. He's from my home town but this took place in Seattle. Incident took place in April.

ETA: as more details come out, it appears the cop wasn't actually off duty. And did eventually identify himself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Copefree,

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Can't say it tells the whole story, but if it's just a speeding violation, will this not end badly for the ossifer? GOTs to be more to this. Like dude was recklessly endangering someone, etc., but then that should be on the same video (unless it conveniently was deleted?).

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow, nut job! Looks like he's showing it, but trying not to have other folks see what he's doing.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
either there is a whole lot more to this story or the cops ass should be grass

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Wow, nut job! Looks like he's showing it, but trying not to have other folks see what he's doing.

Is he going to count to 10?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I'd have my hands high in the air and wouldn't move a muscle no matter what he said

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
I'm not qualified to give any opinion except for: If that was me on the bike, I'd be going home to change my diaper.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I don't know what happened before the video, but the rider surely seems surprised when the guy came into view. I never heard the man identify himself as a police officer or detective, he presented a weapon and began giving orders. Easily confused as a road rage incident or robbery.

I wonder how many members including LEO would have responded pulling up in traffic on a man holding a rider at gun point and reaching into his front pocket.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That is an exceedingly poor approach in 99.9999999% of all circumstances, maybe even 100%, though I suppose there's some conceivable scenario where it's necessary/warranted.

He's lucky he wasn't treated like a car jacker or worse. Generally, plain clothes LE actions ought to be outlawed in all but the most extraordinary circumstances, for their safety...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable....he should have contacted the local Sheriff with a marked vehicle to make the stop.

What would have happened if a passer by thought it was a hold up or something? Frown

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow... I'd like to see the rest of the pre-video driving.

Call me paranoid, but when I'm on the bike, I usually keep an eye on the vehicle behind me and its doors when stopped at traffic lights.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I know and work with an depressingly large number of dumb cops.

While I don't know this guy he seems to fit that definition.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Added news story to OP.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine what the guy on the bike did to have him run out with a gun on him.

I do find it suspicious the video only started as he was coming to a stop. What did we miss? Did he pop some wheelies and run people off the road? Was he trying to outrun the police? I guess if that's the case the officer has no idea what he is coming up to. All that to say it is too early to pass judgement. I couldn't believe the sheriff was calling to apologize before even hearing the officers side of things.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
I can't imagine what the guy on the bike did to have him run out with a gun on him.

I do find it suspicious the video only started as he was coming to a stop. What did we miss? Did he pop some wheelies and run people off the road? Was he trying to outrun the police? I guess if that's the case the officer has no idea what he is coming up to. All that to say it is too early to pass judgement. I couldn't believe the sheriff was calling to apologize before even hearing the officers side of things.

Let's say he was pulling wheelies. Yep - definitely deserving to be shot.

Let's think about a motorcyclist running people off the road. How is that even possible?

Let's say he was trying to evade arrest. Then, why did he stop - why didn't he just continue on between the stopped cars?

Nobody is more pro-LEO than me - you can read my previous posts - I support law enforcement wholeheartedly. But, it certainly does appear that this interaction was suspicious, to say the least.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I've stopped my share of reckless drivers and unless there was a felony pursuit,etc, I didn't point guns at them. I think that deputy might be in big trouble. (IF) that was just a reckless driver, had I done that I'd have been at risk of being fired, my state certification revoked, and being prosecuted for aggravated assault, a felony in our state. Coincidentally, the last reckless driver I stopped was a guy on a Ninja bike of some kind doing a very lengthy and high speed wheelie. Didn't point a gun at him.

FWIW, when I was gainfully employed, getting involved off-duty was about as likely as anything to get an officer in serious trouble. When/if we got involved off-duty it was prudent to be absolutely certain that our actions were not only lawful, but necessary, and that we were acting within department policy. A lot of off-duty actions I became aware of over the years went sideways in some fashion, resulting in an unrewarding outcome for the officer....

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yep. He's done.

That was just stupid.

Something similar happened a few months ago, our detectives watched a kid driving reckless and called a marked car to stop it. They stayed within view of it till we got there.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. Yikes.

I have a whole host of questions, backstory needed, and witness accounts before I can make a ruling on this one, but ON THE SURFACE, this looks bad.

Since I don't have any of those questions answered, all I can rule on is the video I saw, and I'm not going to do so yet.

A bit of background:

My dept has a "take home car" policy. I have one, and have for 5 years. Not everyone gets one, in fact, I'd estimate less than a fourth of the uniforms have a take home car. They are divided up by precinct, and by squad, and assigned by the Lt over the squad. Some give them based upon seniority, some upon merit, some a mix... I've had one since my first year at this dept, so mine is on merit...

With that info, we are also, take home car or not, REQUIRED by general order to at ALL TIMES be in possession of our badge, ID card, and duty or approved off duty gun. Technically, if one of us got caught ANYWHERE in the county without those items, we could be reprimanded for not having them. Yep, we could be punished, up to and including fired, for not being armed....

As to the policy with the take home cars, we are required to have the radio on, and on the channel assigned to the area we are traveling through. We are required to respond to serious calls that come across, or any on view situations we see. Now that said, we are required to do so for SERIOUS issues. We of course, here in MO, are 24/7 Peace Officers and are never really off duty per state law. We are also allowed to enforce ANY state law, ANYWHERE within the state of MO, at ANY time. So theoretically, even if I was across the state in KC MO, and saw someone speeding, I COULD write them a ticket, despite being nearly 4 hours outside of my local jurisdiction... But I most likely wouldn't unless for some reason I could make the case that it posed an serious danger to someone's life or risk of serious bodily injury...

There would be nothing wrong with doing a traffic stop, in my marked take home car, off duty and out of uniform. On the rare occasion I do so, the first thing I do, after of course, telling dispatch where I am, who I am, and who I am with, is to have a marked car with a uniformed officer start my way, and inform the stopped driver that I have done so.

So, to make a just ruling here, I need to know:

1. What are his agencies policies?
2. What happened before the camera turned on?
3. Who was the stopped driver? Was he a recognized felon or "usual suspect" the officer recognized?
4. WHY was the driver stopped? Did the officer see a hand to hand dope deal? Was the driver fleeing from a crime (he assaulted someone, stole something, etc, etc)?
5. Did the driver, recognized or not, have any type of history, or some type of warrant or caution code attached to the plate? (Maybe the officer had his radio with him and dispatch informed he was wanted for attempted murder or something... far fetched but still, possible and need to know)
6. Was there a recent BOLO (Be On The Look Out) for some other criminal who used a similar type of vehicle in his crimes? I've harped on this before and give the example of a "bank robbery" scenario in many, many other threads. When we get such a description, we usually don't get much from teh scared, hyper, adrenaline fueled victims. We are lucky if the the color and style of the getaway vehicle right, much less a make/model. It happens all the time, a description (vague at best, ie, white pickup truck leaving northbound on (insert state road here)). How many white pickup trucks would be traveling any given road within 10 minutes at any given time of the day? Lots....

Now, if after the answers to all those questions provided at innocuous, and this was just a simple traffic stop for a routine violation... I'd say this officer is gonna at the bare minimum, eat a suspension, and get his ass chewed with some counseling and additional training. Given it is Seattle, they would probably parade him through the streets naked with a shaved head shouting "SHAME" and then crucify him on the highest hill....

Curious to see the updates.

EDITED TO ADD... Unless there was a SIGNIFICANT risk of serious injury, a kidnapping/AMBER alert, active violent crime in progress, or fleeing violent felon, I'm not stopping ANYONE in my unmarked personal car.... I think that is a really bad idea.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Based on the calm anger expressed by the detective, where he judges the rider as endangering everyone, it would not surprise me that he has a personal loss involving a motorcycle. Death of a loved one, family member, or some deep trauma could create a psychological wound that rises quickly when triggered.

It probably took forever to catch up to the alleged reckless rider.

His badge was likely on a belt holder or neck lanyard.

There were other solutions to this problem.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post