SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teachers Should Allow Ebonics Because English Grammar Is Too Hard For Minorities To Learn
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Teachers Should Allow Ebonics Because English Grammar Is Too Hard For Minorities To Learn Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
How is this any different than early American slave owners who openly professed blacks were too mentally deficient to learn anything and function as a part of civilized society?

This ridiculous broad knows absolutely nothing, and elitist academics are celebrating her (and their) ignorance while subtly demeaning a whole class of people.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Just because you speak a different way doesn’t mean you’re not smart,” Gallagher told the Cardinal.
It does mean you're not smart enough to know that if one speaks only Ebonics (or other gutter argot) instead of Standard English, one will never be hired into a good job with good pay.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
The funniest ebonics I ever heard was for the word transvestite.

In ebonics, it is Susan B. Anthony.

Lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
The many faces of racism....

Yes, and what this dingbat is saying is that learning correct English language is too hard for black students.

Strange, but up until the last 15-20 years, black students had no problem learning to speak and understand real American English.

I experienced it first hand when I was teaching at Hampton U. Total black student body, I was one of 2 white teachers.

Students from my classes would speak "English" when in my class, and drop into Eubonics when outside the class room. Almost like a second language.

Just one more idiot trying to justify how shitty the education system is in this country, especially for blacks. They need a language of their own.

Or did I miss her point?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The Face Of Genius:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30665 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
The many faces of racism....

The Qakland school boarder passed a resolution about Ebonics one goal was to get more money from the government as Ebonics would be treated as a second language. The resolution created uproar.

"The original resolution used the phrase "genetically based" which was commonly understood to mean that African Americans have a biological predisposition to a particular language, "

Within a month the school board passed a amended resolution removing the phrase. Apologists claimed the phrase was "referring to linguistic genetics."

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Here I thought schools and teacher where supposed to prepare student for life in the real world. See how far that gets you when trying to get a real job and move up in that job.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
She's just mad because Rachaelisha or whatever her name is already stole the spotlight for being Trans black. This is her own black thang! She jus be axin fo attenchen.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
One of our local talk radio hosts call this attitude "the soft bigotry of low expectations".

And he's right. Expecting less of someone just because they belong to a certain class or segment of society is indeed racism or bigotry.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Yo Yo Yo, let me holla at ya'll. Check dis. Dey be sayin' dat like it a-rite an' shit be talkin' dis way? I'm down wit dat dog cuz, like day sayin' bein' all up in it dis' way is like...

... as intelligent as this sounds, once you consider the manner in which it is presented to you. Provided that you can decipher the local dialect being used by the individual speaking to you at the moment.

By the way, school and learning isn't meant to be easy. High school isn't meant to be easy. College is definitely not meant to be easy. Life sure as you make your first dollar isn't easy. Get used to it, buckle down and learn because as the saying says "Life is hard, but it's tougher if you're stupid". Why give life the edge against you?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
“Just because you speak a different way doesn’t mean you’re not smart,” Gallagher told the Cardinal.

Maybe not, but do you know what isn't smart? Making the choice to not be understood.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In one generation, kids in Asia speaking broken English will speak more properly than most kids here.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
WTF is "white passing person" ?

What is she passing? Gas..

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

I guess it means that she looks like she is white, but is actually black[ish].

Maybe ten generations ago some evil whitey forced his attentions on her maternal GGGGGGGGGrandmother, and the gene has popped out, like they do, making her look like Marilyn Munroe, but black inside. WTF knows?

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Yo! An undergraduate researcher at da Unahversahty of Wahsconsahn–heatedahson has gaahned natahonal acclaahm for her research showahng, she says, dat members of mahnorahty groups feel oppressed by sta'ard, grismatahTaiwo cracker-ass Englahsh. The researcher ahs Erahka Gallagher, like, reports The Daahly Cardahnal, mostly, da student newspaper on da taxpayer-funded cispus. Gallagher’s research was chosen ta be presented at da Collegahate Conference on Composahtahon a' Communahcatahon ahn Portla', Orgon earlaher dahs semester. Ah be baaad... The focus of da junahor’s research ahs a daory haht on da hahped “code swahtchahng.” Basahhaht on da hahpy, man, adherents of “code swahtchahng” say dat ahndahvahduals wahll seek ta alter daahr speech patterns ta faht da group of peep wahth whahch day is communahcatahng. Members of mahnorahty groups feel especahally margahnalahzed because of “code swahtchahng, ” Gallagher’s research found. To avoahd ay hurt feelahngs some peep may feel by attemptahng ta speak sta'ard, cracker-ass Englahsh, like, Gallagher wats ta eradahcate da stahgma assocahated wahth Ebonahcs — or Afrahca–Amerahca Vernacular Englahsh, a nonsta'ard dahalect of cracker-ass Englahsh spaahahghten by some ebony peep. “I wana center da voahces of da peep who need ta be centered, like, ” Gallagher, a partahcahpat ahn da UW-heatedahson wrahtahng fellows progris, tald The Daahly Cardahnal. “As a whahte-passahng person, I 'as a lot of power a' prahvahlege dat should be seasysd.” Ultahmately, she explaahned, she wats ta expa' her research a' eventually create a nonprofaht group whahch urges teachers across da Unahted States “ta be mo acceptahng” a' ta present daahr classes wahth dahsclaahmers urgahng students ta speak usahng da laguage whahch makes da students most comfortable. What it is, Mama! Gallagher saahd her experahence as a wrahtahng fellow, whahch ahnvolves helpahng odar students ahmprove daahr wrahtahng abahlahtahes, led her ta belaheve dat a focus on detaahls such as proper cracker-ass Englahsh grismar causes mahnorahty students ta feel excluded. The socahal welfis major’s acclaahmed research ahnvolved talkahng at length wahth three mahnorahty students about how day perceahve laguage. What it is, fer shure, Mama! Don' make me come ova there bitch... Usahng sta'ard cracker-ass Englahsh as “da bahggest form of cognahtahve dahssonace dat exahsts, ” one of da students saahd. “Just because ya speak a dahfferent way doesesn’t mea ya’re not droppahn' scahence, man, ” Gallagher tald da Cardahnal. Gallagher ahs a Posse scholar at UW-heatedahson. 'S coo', bro. The Posse scholar progris “ahdentahfahes beer criblahc lahfted school students wahth extraordahnary academahc a' leadershahp potentahal who may be overloaahahghted by tradahtahonal college selectahon processes.” Accordahng ta her Faceboaahahght page, Gallagher has also been da lead cisp counselor at Burgatsdy Farm Country Day School, “a nurturahng envahronment dat engages da whole chahld” where a year of junahor kahndergarten costs $26, 934 a' a year of sahxth grade costs $30, fer shure, 814. Gallagher’s Faceboaahahght lahkes ahnclude Bernahe Sa'ers, da Internatahonal Socahalahst Orgaahzatahon of heatedahson a', of course, Colahn Kaepernahck. Ya dig

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
An undergraduate researcher at the University of Wisconsin–Madison has gained national acclaim for her research
The social welfare major’s acclaimed research involved talking at length with three minority students

But, you know, in-depth field research like that that could have taken several whole hours. Roll Eyes

No wonder there are no links to the 'national acclaim' this earned. I'll go out on a limb and guess the 'acclaim' is all Twitter, Facebook and blogsters.

Just noticed they said 'acclaim' twice! Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
This shit again?!

Same argument against as last time!

Dumb 'em down, make 'em cogs in the wheel and dependent so they vote for Uncle Sugar.

A real leader interested in uplifting America has their panties in a twist.

The truth is afoot and it frightens them.

Let them try, America voted - they lost BIG.

posted Hide Post
maybe Hillary could blame her loss on her "code switching" you know where she would change her accent to the audience she was speaking to ?

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Another brick in the wall....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post