SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer Towing w/ 4 cyl Tacoma ... Advice Requested!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Towing w/ 4 cyl Tacoma ... Advice Requested! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you have enough tongue weight. That travel trailer is going to be twitchy. I wouldn't drive over 55 MPH.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The current SAE std. for trailer rating system is very tough. And Toyota is pretty conservative. You will absolutely have no issues towing either of those two trailers.

This. A small utility trailer and small 1500 pound trailer will be a walk in the park for your Tacoma. Your Tacoma has brakes, that are larger than an 80's 1500 pickup truck.

I towed a 3500 pound trailer easily with a very similar Toyota truck as yours. No hills down here in Florida though....

You can get a real hitch for like $200.

Posts: 6658 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Go slow, keep it out of overdrive. I burned up my 4-cyl Taco's tranny hauling a small trailer across the country. Lesson learned.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17228 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
There are many people with v6 3.5L Tacomas that consider 3500-4000 lbs the max even though the manual says 6500 lbs. Will your 4 banger move such a load down the road? Yeah sure but consider you are right at listed capacity. If you encounter grades, head winds or slippery conditions it won't be a fun drive. I pulled a 5000 lb boat about 15 miles for a friend and I sure wouldn't want to do that for any extended drive. That's with my 2019 V6 Tacoma 4x4. If you can, get an app to monitor your trans temperature. Even with a dedicated transmission cooler, (which you probably don't have) temperatures can rise pretty quickly on hilly roads and that will really cause problems.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post