SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Hasbro game: Ms. Monopoly where females get more at start and for passing Go! and instead of buying properties - inventions by women
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hasbro game: Ms. Monopoly where females get more at start and for passing Go! and instead of buying properties - inventions by women Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
No, this is not from The Onion or the Babylon Bee.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...me-night/2201160001/

Girl power: Hasbro brings gender pay gap debate to game night with new Ms. Monopoly

Addressing the gender pay gap comes down to changing the rules of the game.

That's exactly what Ms. Monopoly brings to the table.

Hasbro is launching a new version of the iconic board game that celebrates female trailblazers and is the first "where women make more than men,” officials shared exclusively with USA TODAY.

The new game – which includes several modern updates including rideshares instead of railroads and Wi-Fi instead of water works – goes on sale this month at major national retailers for a suggested price of $19.99. The game is available for pre-order at Walmart.com.

Jen Boswinkel, senior director of global brand strategy and marketing for Hasbro Gaming, said the game is designed for today's kids and highlights a subject they may not know about yet.

"With all of the things surrounding female empowerment, it felt right to bring this to Monopoly in a fresh new way," Boswinkel said. “It’s giving the topic some relevancy to everyone playing it that everybody gets a turn, and this time women get an advantage at the start.”

The debate over equal pay starts before shuffling the cards, choosing a token and rolling the dice.

The banker doles out $1,900 in Monopoly Money to each female player and $1,500 to each male. The gap continues every time a player passes go with women collecting $240 and men $200.

Instead of investing in real estate properties like the classic game, players invest in inventions and innovations made by women, including chocolate chip cookies, bulletproof vests, solar heating and ladies’ modern shapewear.

“We made sure that this felt authentic and was a fun game families could play and learn about these things that they love and are a part of their life that they didn’t know were invented by women,” Boswinkel said.

Other updates to the game include new tokens including a white hat, a watch, a barbell, a glass and a jet plane.

While the white hat might conjure up thoughts of Olivia Pope from "Scandal," Boswinkel said it's to symbolize Mr. Monopoly passing his top hat to his niece. The watch is to symbolize that it's "about time for some changes," she added.

Families can choose to give everyone the same amount if they choose, Boswinkel said. It's also possible that a boy wins the game.

“It’s a way that families can talk about what is happening around them and it’s an easy way to explain to their kids, boys or girls, what has maybe happened to them over the years and what they’ve been experiencing,” Boswinkel said.

To celebrate the new game, Hasbro surprised three young female inventors with $20,580 in real – not Monopoly – money: 13-year-old Gitanjali Rao, of Denver, and Sophia Wang from Connecticut and Ava Canney from Ireland, both 16.

A high school freshman, Rao has created a few inventions including the Tethys, a device that detects lead in drinking water.

“There are so many big things that most people think are created by men, but they’re actually created by women,” said Rao, who was included on Forbes’ 2019 30 under 30 list for science. “It really expanded my knowledge and was so empowering to me.”

An avid Monopoly player, Rao also said she was “appalled” to learn more about the gender pay gap.

“I never put the dots together and realized it was that much of a gap,” she said. “I think it’s super important to talk about equal pay and that there’s no such thing as boys’ subjects and girls’ subjects.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’d rather play Ghettopoly.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It almost makes me want to play the game, just to prove that a male playing against at stacked deck, can still manage to beat the pants off of a female of the species.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'd rather play Grand Theft Auto (Somilia/Chicago edition). Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
An avid Monopoly player, Rao also said she was “appalled” to learn more about the gender pay gap.

One wonders if she'd be equally appealed to learn the leftists and dominant media have been lying to her and there is no gender pay gap?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I would never buy this or support this. Equal price pay isn’t when girls get more than boys. This games reinforces discrimination. I’ll bet these people actually feel socially smug in the hypocrisy.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
They'll sell about two of those.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
 It's also possible that a boy wins the game.

Wow, how very progressive of them.

There are probably rules that if a boy starts winning, he gets hit with a "Male Privilege Penalty Card" (TM) and has to forfeit 25% of his earnings.

This game represents exactly what is wrong with modern 'man-hating' "feminism" - teaching girls they can ONLY have a chance to succeed when the board is LITERALLY stacked in their favor. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much Hasbro pays the women. Seems like that would be more of their kind of issue and not a game. This is all getting ridiculous.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wonder if there’s a square for “divorce your husband, take everything he owns”?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Is there a "Make hubby a sandwich" card?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It just occurred to me this could backfire on them big time:
quote:

The banker doles out $1,900 in Monopoly Money to each female player and $1,500 to each male. The gap continues every time a player passes go with women collecting $240 and men $200.

What about the otherwise-enabled, LGBTQWXYZ, PoC and every other put-upon demographic? Won't they feel they've now been doubly-slighted?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to put this hear, because women are equal and everything......

https://www.rollingstone.com/m...tainment-one-875805/

quote:
Hasbro, a massive toy company that is the source of countless hours of childhood joy — thanks to Mr. Potato Head, Monopoly, G.I. Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, Power Rangers, and much, much more — announced on Thursday that it will join forces with Death Row Records, a label synonymous with West Coast gangster rap thanks to artists like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Tupac.

So in addition to bringing "all of the things surrounding female empowerment", they will also be bringing you messages such as:

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks

and

Let all be accounted for, and if you don't give a fuck About a bitch, then you're rolling with the row

And many, many more examples. Big Grin Come to think about it, that actually may be a version of Monopoly that I purchased.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new game...goes on sale this month at major national retailers for a suggested price of $19.99.

The price for men is $24.99

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a really shitty game. Don't think it's gonna sell.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hilarious

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
This is a no-brainer...Beat the snowflake Left-tards at their own friggin' game! Just announce at the start of the game that today, you're "identifying as a girl/woman" while the game is being set up. Eezy-Peezy...[runs around and high fives all the Lib-tard women in the room for being so woke]

Added after encouraging posts below... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
This is a no-brainer...Beat the snowflake Left-tards at their own friggin' game! Just announce at the start of the game that today, you're "identifying as a girl/woman" while the game is being set up. Eezy-Peezy...[runs around and high fives all the Lib-tard women in the room for being so woke]

This is the correct answer to any man that gets trapped into playing this bullshit game. Reap it, feminazis.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Erj_pilot wins the argument.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An earlier post touched on modern monopoly, too:
Marry a high earning male, pump out a couple of ignored kids, make a domestic violence claim and have him jailed. Then divorce him and ruin him totally.
When that money runs out, pick out another high earner and claim he tweaked your nippy in middle school (when you are now in your 40s) without witnessed oral and written consent. Then sue him while joining #MeToo.
That how you get your jet plane!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post