SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Posting from Maui - A question for the natives or dudes with general Hawaii smarts:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Posting from Maui - A question for the natives or dudes with general Hawaii smarts: Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
What's the story with Lanai and Moloka'i?

My wife and I have a hotel/condo looking West, basically staring dead-center between the two islands. We've looked at what Wikipedia says, which differs a bit from what our varying local interaction has said. The snorkel guys gave some info, which contrasted a bit with what the Haleakala Sunrise/Bike guys had to say about them.

What's the story? I imagine the Larry Ellison thing is pretty solid info, but my wife and I are dying to know more about the locals and seeming mystery surrounding the two great islands directly ahead of us.

Thanks in advance! Aloha!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lana’i is owned by Larry Ellison; it has a small town in the center, and two big resorts, one on the ocean and one inland. You can take a ferry to Lana’i, rent a car and drive around the island. Maui Revealed has details.
I’ve gone over and done that, including doing some archery at the inland resort; they also had sporting clays available. The resorts have undergone some refurbishing since we were there.

Moloka’i also has a ferry but it doesn’t get you to much. The interesting part of the island is on the north shore, Kalaupapa, the previous leper colony. You have to arrange a tour to visit, I believe. In >6 years living there we never got to Moloka’i. Moloka’i is not at all touristy.

It’s also easy to get a boat ride over to Lana’i with boat companies including the Pacific Whale Foundation. They have a nice whale watch/spinner dolphin half-day tour that is very nice; they also hava a snorkel tour just off Lana’i.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Lanai used to be owned by Dole and was basically a pineapple plantation. Never set foot on it although I’ve been a stones throw away while fishing a few times over the years. No reason to go ashore ever came up. Molokai is pretty “local” and there isn’t a whole lot to do there either, which is why I haven’t felt any urge to go there as well. You’ve likely heard the expression “Maui nō ka ‘oi”, which translated says ”Maui is the best.”. It was originally part of a boastful ancient chant but they were definitely on to something if you ask me. Hope you like it as much as I do.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope you like it as much as I do.

We've really enjoyed it so far! (Although Frida's didn't sit well with me, but I'll admit I tried the octypus on suggestion.)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Visited Lana'i way back before Sir Larry owned it (actually not long after Bill Gates rented the island for his wedding). There wasn't much to do except toggle between the mountain resort and the beach resort. That said, it was one of my best Hawaii trips ever. The mountain resort is world class, in fact it was the #1 mtn resort in the world (not sure if it still is). The beach was also awesome. Always meant to return some day, so far haven't yet.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Maui has several helicopter companies that do tours. While there in January I was able to get the cheap seat ($100) for a flight out to Molokai. I pushed the pilot to fly a little more "aggressive" and we were not very many yards from the tallest sea cliff in the world from the blades hitting it. The chopper companies will have last minute deals like this so if going alone you could get in. 2 people you are going to pay full price. It's worth the trip. It was a flight from Maui through the west mountains over to Molokai and back through the valley on the way back.

Get some Poke from Foodland. $7.99. And Maui Brewing's Bikini Blonde is excellent.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my wife and I went on a "Trilogy" (trimaran) tour, that included sailing to Lana'i and having a box lunch on the beach. Afterwards, we sailed back to Maui (where we started). It was a pleasant way to spend the day, but we didn't see much of the the island.

I understand that there's good deer hunting on Lanai, if you are interested in setting up a hunt. I hunted Axis deer on Maui and it was enjoyable. Be sure and bring home some frozen boned out meat for the butcher to cut into steaks, roasts, burger, etc...! It's probably the best tasting venison I've ever eaten and incredibly tender!!!

http://www.highadventurecompany.com/hawaii-hunting/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Don't miss the Maui Ocean Center! Incredible aquarium of local sea life.

And say hello to my friends at Coconut's Fish Cafe in Kihei if you get around to the south side.

If you have time, make a reservation for sunset at Merriman's Restaurant in Kapalua.

Slack key guitar fan? Go to George Kahumoku's Wednesday night concert at Napili Kai. P210 and nhtagmember can vouch for it.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If you can, try to make it to Mama’s Fish House. It’s one of the best dining experiences on earth and while expensive it’s worth it for special occasions. Tonight for example. My daughter is visiting with her sons and we had a blast.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
We were staying on Maui a few years ago and took the ferry ride over to Lana'i.

We went to the Cat Sanctuary and spent the afternoon at a nice beach.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
If you can, try to make it to Mama’s Fish House. It’s one of the best dining experiences on earth and while expensive it’s worth it for special occasions. Tonight for example. My daughter is visiting with her sons and we had a blast.

Yes, absolutely. Mama's is propably one of my top 3 dining experiences ever. From beginning to end, everything was exceptional.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post