SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walking canes for self defense.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking canes for self defense. Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

I don’t need a cane but I was considering buying one of these to take on my walk: Irish Walking Stick Genuine Blackthorn Made in Ireland https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A..._api_i_1aDRCbMFKN1KR
The reviews on this are not great. I get the feeling that this is crap, made for the tourist-type gift shops. Fully 30% of the reviews are negative, one and two stars. You can not order a specific length, it will be somewhere between 33" and 37". Likewise, the knob style can not be specified. These are not stocked by the seller, they are drop-shipped from Ireland.

For fifty bucks, if I were in the market for something like this, I would look elsewhere.

There are other places to buy them, Amazon was easiest to post a link since it was easier than trying to spell it. I saw them on another website but I’m not sure where. Since I don’t need it for support those would work better for me than a cane.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
bald1, those canes are absolutely beautiful! I would guess that in a fight they might break where the handle is attached to the cane. Keeping that in mind, I think you could still do some damage with them.

Thanks Rod. Thats kinda what I figured. Would hate to break one but still... Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
Being Irish I prefer a Shillelagh. Properly wielded they pack a whallop and properly sized they make good canes. I have the one brought over by my grandfather and three by Liam Kealy of Wicklow, Ireland, third generation master stickmaker.

^^^^^
I was just going to suggest one from these guys: https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/classic-34-36

I’m not sure a “loaded” Shillelagh would make it through TSA but for everywhere else, it would make a great stick (cane). I have one of their loaded cudgels at my office.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

That’s Liam’s shop. I have an unloaded one that’s pretty close to my gramdfather’s, the main reason for buying it. I liked his work so much a loaded shillelagh and loaded fighting stick followed when they became available in suitible configurations. I wouldn’t try to fly with a leaded one. They’re actually illegal some places plus the unleaded version is quite adequate anyway.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I've never used a cane before and don't really understand how to use them, ie; my neurologic deficit is on the left side of my body if I'm suppose to use it for balance on the right or left arm/hand for walking support?

They can be used both ways, but the more common method is with the cane on the strong side. If the left leg is weak/needs support, when you step forward with the left leg, the cane in the right hand goes forward as well, and both cane and left leg touch down at the same time. This takes the weight off the left leg and keeps it off all the time the cane is down. It's a pretty easy rhythm to pick up.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Being Irish I prefer a Shillelagh. Properly wielded they pack a whallop and properly sized they make good canes. I have the one brought over by my grandfather and three by Liam Kealy of Wicklow, Ireland, third generation master stickmaker.

^^^^^
I was just going to suggest one from these guys: https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/classic-34-36

I’m not sure a “loaded” Shillelagh would make it through TSA but for everywhere else, it would make a great stick (cane). I have one of their loaded cudgels at my office.

That’s Liam’s shop. I have an unloaded one that’s pretty close to my gramdfather’s, the main reason for buying it. I liked his work so much a loaded shillelagh and loaded fighting stick followed when they became available in suitible configurations. I wouldn’t try to fly with a leaded one. They’re actually illegal some places plus the unleaded version is quite adequate anyway.

He does very nice work. I know a judge that uses one of his loaded cudgels as a gavel.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I sell a lot of the Cold steels at the gunshows I attend. They are unbreakable except for the recipient,, they may likely have something broken. I also sell 2 sword canes (Not in My store however)
Shipping costs are the biggest problem.
https://www.coldsteel.com/cata...arch/result/?q=canes

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

^^^^^

He does very nice work. I know a judge that uses one of his loaded cudgels as a gavel.

TSA can NOT stop any ambulatory device! Sword canes excluded.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Remember guys, cameras are everywhere. You might want to be seen as a frightened groin thumper or wrist cracker rather than a dedicated long ball hitter. “Yes, your honor, I may have over reacted, but I’m 74 years old and not quite the man I used to be and I did nothing to provoke that young man.” YMMV Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I've never used a cane before and don't really understand how to use them, ie; my neurologic deficit is on the left side of my body if I'm suppose to use it for balance on the right or left arm/hand for walking support?

They can be used both ways, but the more common method is with the cane on the strong side. If the left leg is weak/needs support, when you step forward with the left leg, the cane in the right hand goes forward as well, and both cane and left leg touch down at the same time. This takes the weight off the left leg and keeps it off all the time the cane is down. It's a pretty easy rhythm to pick up.

Thank you Henry. After giving it some honest thought, even with my past martial arts training my physical condition these days would never allow me use any defense training that would require any degree of balance, mines shot. At best a cane could be used to keep somebody at bay per the distance and reach the cane would allow. I'd be better served to look for a cane that would aid in providing the best support for mobility. My needs are support while standing up and just walking short distances, anything more than that is just an illusion. Maybe one of those canes with the feet at the bottom. Though it may not look cool, anything that aids in providing better support for my needs is cool to me. Plus I'd guess if needed, I could still wack somebody with it if needed! Cool

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I played it easy, just picked up a broken shovel handle, ground it down to hold a rubber crutch tip and works great! Price, $8.00 for some rubber crutch tips and some "Tongue Oil".

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Well, as embarrassing as it may seem for me, I caved and went "function over form" this time. I'd loved a defense cane but this topic has finally pushed me into a cane purchase for the first time. I honestly had to go with a cane more for the mobility but..at least it's made of aluminum and if it can't be avoided, I can still wack somebody good with it. Thanks for posting this topic OP! Here's the Hugo Cane...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I use one from cane masters; airport friendly.

Looks spiffy as well.

So they do NOT take the cane and stow it once you are on board the plane?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

So they do NOT take the cane and stow it once you are on board the plane?
Molon labe

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]So they do NOT take the cane and stow it once you are on board the plane?[/QUOTE]

I imagine one would need their cane in case of an emergency exit from the aircraft, so no thanks it stays with me.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My illness and ever so fucking slow recovery currently has me using two trekking poles for gait and balance.

Trekking poles with carbide tips.

I bet I could run a person through with them.

And as assistive devices, they go everywhere I do.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ha!

I can’t post a pic, but check out the Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat Cane

Probably wise to only take to a baseball game, otherwise you have some other explaining to do.

If someone can post a pic, that’d be cool.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many tongues does it take to make a pint of tongue oil?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
After having tne cast removed from a broken leg I used a bokken with a tip from a crutch. (A bokken is a wooden practise sword we used for kata back when I did Kendo). Take off the tsuba and nobody notices what it is.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
How many tongues does it take to make a pint of tongue oil?
Try not to think about baby oil. Eek

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
because I am tall and the Cold Steel blackthorn cane is too short I purchased their staff and had a friend cut it down. It is the perfect stick for me.

I also had a custom made with purple heart wood, brass ferules, and a zebra wood handle.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post