SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walking canes for self defense.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking canes for self defense. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I found this cool video:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/nqwmLueVNx8

Do any of y'all carry a cane for self defense, if so which one(s) do you recommend?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Do any of y'all carry a cane for self defense, if so which one(s) do you recommend?
My cane does double duty. It helps me maintain balance when I need it, and it is a wicked weapon.

Another member of SIGforum, and I, took some instruction from a cane-fu guy who is affiliated with these folks. I bought my cane from him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I use one from cane masters; airport friendly.

Looks spiffy as well.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My everyday Canemasters cane. Simple and basic looking, but it has some subtle self-defense features, like the finger grooves and the viper's head horn.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
That cat o lead tails is sadistic as hell and the arsenic cane was devious and sinister. The sword and the switchblade are on my want one list.

Yours is classy Rey.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I too have a sturdy training cane from Canemasters. It is a reassuring piece of hickory goodness; a formidable, but innocent looking weapon that the ADA says can be taken anywhere.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
How closely do the nice TSA folks look at canes? Anyone ever have any trouble getting them onboard without checking?

Asking for a friend...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Hickory cane from Lehmans Hardware. Amish made. Light and strong.
Clint appreciated Hickory!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
How closely do the nice TSA folks look at canes? Anyone ever have any trouble getting them onboard without checking?

Asking for a friend...

I train with a former federal LEO who carried his cane with him when he recently flew down for a Caribbean vacation. He said on one said a word about his cane. I suppose, if your cane is tricked up with pointy heads and emblazoned with death threats to tyrants and such someone might say something. Even if you carry it under your arm and only occasionally use it for balance you are still technically covered by the disabilities act. However, it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to stroll through the airport twirling it like a majorette. Smile
BTW, for me, the most useful part of the cane training is not learning how to strike with it or use it as a hook. The cane retention techniques are real confidence builders. Write this down. Never ever grab someone’s wooden cane, not even with two hands, thinking you can control it or take it away from them. It could be a huge mistake if they’ve had a little retention training. You LEOs might want to remember that.

Also note that aluminum canes just don’t offer the satisfying heft of hickory and might be a dead giveaway that the carrier of it has had no training.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hickory cane

When I started looking to get a cane I found this site:
https://startthinkingright.wor...om/tag/walking-cane/

and purchased this cane:
https://www.enasco.com/p/Eleph...ne---Plain%2BC07434N

I then found and ordered this cane:

https://www.budk.com/United-De...e-Walking-Cane-32902

The tip on the BudK cane was too slippery for me so I purchased a rubber cane tip. That made it much more stable.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I have a Japanese fighting stick, called a Jo made of hickory. It looks like a walking stick, but can do a lot of damage in the right hands. I often carry it when walking my dog to scare off aggressive dogs without have to resort to shooting them. I have never even had to hit a dog with it, thank goodness. I also carry it into gun free zones like hospitals, schools and so on. No one has ever paid the slightest attention to a grey beard with a walking stick.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:

No one has ever paid the slightest attention to a grey beard with a walking stick.
I have found that a cane becomes totally invisible when carried by a Geezer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I certainly qualify as a geezer but I don't have any trouble walking. There's almost an infinite number of vids on YouTube about using canes for self defense. Looks like you could ruin someone's day with the right one. I'm looking at something from Cain Masters in hickory. Being a woodworker, I'm familiar with the properties of hickory -- you almost have to treat it as if it were a metal.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I certainly qualify as a geezer but I don't have any trouble walking.

And you can use the cane to point at stuff or people when you need extra emphasis.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Walking cane/arsenic. Not a pairing you often see under the moniker of "self defense." "He came at me with a knife and I poisoned him, Your Honor." Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
All this hickory nonsense. Mine is cherry. Guess if you hit someone hard enough, the cherry would shatter, but that would just get the Gil Hibben sword out faster. Doesn't take much to extract it anyhow. The system it has only requires about a quarter turn and out it comes.

I guess its really a walking stick because it doesn't have a hook. The handle is brass and ivory. I know, the politically incorrect type.
I really don't give a shit, the elephant is long dead.

Its kind of difficult to admit I'm a geezer in the same class as Shugart. If he doesn't have any problem walking, he's lucky. One of my reasons for liking the cane is it can be used to retrieve stuff. That's the disadvantage of my walking stick, it can't hook stuff and drag it to me

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerious
posted Hide Post
I blew out my right knee 6 or 7 years ago and to help prop me up while healing I ordered an Ironwood walking stick from Brazos. It's a one piece affair, with the handle carved from the root ball I believe. Tough as hell and it uses a standard rubber cane tip on the bottom, so replacements are easy and cheap. I like it so much i ordered a matching full length hiking stick.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
- Carl Sagan

Posts: 2120 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
I have a Japanese fighting stick, called a Jo made of hickory. It looks like a walking stick, but can do a lot of damage in the right hands. I often carry it when walking my dog to scare off aggressive dogs without have to resort to shooting them. I have never even had to hit a dog with it, thank goodness. I also carry it into gun free zones like hospitals, schools and so on. No one has ever paid the slightest attention to a grey beard with a walking stick.
Rod

That's how I roll. I have a jo that also breaks down into a pair of kali sticks.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
This morning, my training partner mentioned that Mark Shuey, the owner of the Canemaster business, has stopped putting his company logo on the canes he sells. Rumor has it that TSA took his cane away from him after they noticed sharp points and aggressive ridges on it.
I don’t know if that is true, but I can make do with a plain looking cane if a little alteration takes away my geezer cloak of invisibility.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Great for a multitude of things....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post