SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pneumonia inoculation...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pneumonia inoculation... Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
hurts like the tunket! As a southern friend of mine would say. They told me I might have “some discomfort”, I was alright for a couple of hours but then it set in. Feels as though someone punched me hard in the shoulder. Mad At least I won’t need another for ten years, so I was told.

(Since I know you’re gonna ask tunket is a southern way of saying it hurts like hell, or hurts like the devil.)

I amended the title, it was the pneumonia shot that hurt like hell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clubleaf206,

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be 2 separate vaccines. Did they administer them in the same arm? If so, then yes, it will hurt for a bit. I always gave the option, explaining that I could give one in each arm, or in the same arm. Did they want both arms to hurt or one arm to hurt worse?? Most would opt for the same arm. Take Tylenol for the pain if you need.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
That new shingles shot is a two stage affair according to my doctor. I think he said several months between the two, or something like that. Walmart has the series for $165 each.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the first of two injections of the Shingrix vaccine. I believe the window for the second booster is 3 - 6 months. I got it at WalMart and they will notify me when it’s time to return. I didn’t think this one was too bad and certainly didn’t bother me afterwards. The one that I hate is pneumonia. It hurts to get it and then hurts for about 3 days after.

I haven’t had a tetanus booster for quite awhile.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Pneumonia vaccine went in the other arm. And, yes, they told me that this was part one of the Shingles vaccine. When I get part deux they’re also wanting to hit me with a flu shot.

Actually its not too bad, so long as I don’t reach for anything with my left arm.

You know, now that I think about it, it just might be the pneumonia shot that is the painful one. I was busy chatting up the nurses. Wink

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I decided to get a tetanus shot years ago when a piece of wire from a wire wheel brush got slung off and embedded about an inch into my thigh. I was standing inside the cylinder of a ship's main engine wire wheeling the bore surface when it happened. That really didn't hurt all that much. What did freakin' hurt though was that tetanus shot. Holy toledo. I still remember how painful that was over ten years later. Never did I imagine that a shot could be that painful.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

I haven’t had a tetanus booster for quite awhile.

They say if you can’t remember when you last had a tetanus shot, then its time for a tetanus shot.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have seen one patient with full blown tetanus in my career. Stepped on a nail in her cabin up in the woods. She waited about a week or so before seeking treatment for muscle spasms and fever. Her spasms were so bad she fractured multiple vertebrae in her thoracic spine. ID was called and the decision was made to put her in a medically induced coma until the toxins cleared the body. She had a tracheostomy and was put on neuromuscular blockade (paralyzed) with a pentobarbital drip. She was treated with IVIG, TIG, and antibiotics. She was kept in the coma for almost 4 months. It probably took a full year before she could fully control her limbs. In other words tetanus sucks get your vaccines. Tetanus vaccines are technically good for 10 years but we advocate 5 years with any acute injury. Contrary to popular belief metal puncture wounds are not the only way to be exposed. Clostridium tetani lives on plenty of other materials including soil.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I just had my second part injection done this past Friday. Because it is a very viscous fluid, it will sit in the injection spot for awhile. What helped me was using warm compress and slight massage. It helped with the discomfort. It took about 3-4 days for arm to feel normal. Yes it does feel like someone punched me hard in the arm.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Timely topic as my Dr. Just said I should consider getting the Shingrex shots.

Are you guys paying out of pocket for it or is your insurance picking it up?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
Should be 2 separate vaccines. Did they administer them in the same arm? If so, then yes, it will hurt for a bit. I always gave the option, explaining that I could give one in each arm, or in the same arm. Did they want both arms to hurt or one arm to hurt worse?? Most would opt for the same arm. Take Tylenol for the pain if you need.

Now that I think of it she did ask me if I were right or left handed, hence the shot in the left arm.

By the way, OUCH!!!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I have seen one patient with full blown tetanus in my career. Stepped on a nail in her cabin up in the woods. She waited about a week or so before seeking treatment for muscle spasms and fever. Her spasms were so bad she fractured multiple vertebrae in her thoracic spine. ID was called and the decision was made to put her in a medically induced coma until the toxins cleared the body. She had a tracheostomy and was put on neuromuscular blockade (paralyzed) with a pentobarbital drip. She was treated with IVIG, TIG, and antibiotics. She was kept in the coma for almost 4 months. It probably took a full year before she could fully control her limbs. In other words tetanus sucks get your vaccines. Tetanus vaccines are technically good for 10 years but we advocate 5 years with any acute injury. Contrary to popular belief metal puncture wounds are not the only way to be exposed. Clostridium tetani lives on plenty of other materials including soil.
A question for you.

Background: I am an 81 year old male, was generally in good health. I had flu shots annually, had a pneumonia shot, tetanus shots probably on a ten year cycle. No problems until a couple years ago when I was hit hard with Guillain Barré. This occurred about two months after my annual flu shot, we don't know for sure whether they were related.

A year or so later I was advised against flu shot specifically, and other immune type vaccines in general, because of the Guillain Barré in the not-too-distant past.

My question: It has been more than ten years since my last tetanus shot. Should I have one? Or does the risk, re Guillain Barré history, outweigh the tetanus risk?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm about to get the Shingrix shot, my wife has a mild case right now. She had the other vaccine 7 years ago and should have had a booster!

The pneumonia shot is painful!! I was in physical rehab after an accident and they suggested I get it. It was the only time I asked for a Tylenol in 6 weeks there.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I recently got the second of two Shingrix injections, both in the same arm, about 3 months apart. I could hardly tell I had them, with no side effects except a slight tenderness at the injection site. I received a dire warning of possible side effects, and I guess it affects everyone differently. For me, though, it was nothing, luckily. The tetanus gave me a bit more tenderness/soreness in the arm, but nothing bothersome.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Timely topic as my Dr. Just said I should consider getting the Shingrex shots.

Are you guys paying out of pocket for it or is your insurance picking it up?

Insurance paid for both my Shingrex injections.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
That new shingles shot is a two stage affair according to my doctor. I think he said several months between the two, or something like that. Walmart has the series for $165 each.

With Medicare Part B, I got both Shingrx shots for no cost at my Rite Aid pharmacy.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
In my case the clinic covered the cost, apparently.

posted Hide Post
This past year, I had a cousin that passed away from tetanus. He lived on a farm and hated Drs. He dropped a cinderblock on his toe and thought nothing of it. He took care of the animals with his old boots (worn and Full of holes). He had fever and severe muscle aches for a week. He started to convulse and they took him to the hospital. They induced a coma due to the pain and muscles contortions. They thought they beat it. After two days out of the coma he had a massive coronary attack and passed.
Please take your tetanus shots every ten years.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Too late now, but two successive doses of Ibuprofen BEFORE you get the vaccine, then a couple after.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I just got the Pneumonia and Flu shots, one in each arm. I read the information, no mention of the shingles vaccine. I should have asked for it. I don't need another Pneumonia shot for 5 years. Last year my arm hurt for about three days from the Pneumonia shot. I was asked which was my dominant hand so they could give the Pneumonia shot in the opposite side. I guess a lot of people feel that shot for a few days.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post