SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    jig saw puzzles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jig saw puzzles Login/Join 
posted
Do all 500 piece jig saw puzzles ,from the same company have the exact same shaped pieces?

in other words, one cutter , but many pictures

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
As a kid I thought individual companies had two or three dies to cut.

In this day and age of cost cutting measures and harder puzzles (try the wine cork, horizontal pencils, or Star Wars Storm Trooper ones for example), it won't matter the die pattern. Wink

And looking at the box is cheating. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
And looking at the box is cheating.

Hell yes it is. A point of contention with Mrs. Georgeair I've long since given up on.

If you puzzlers want a treat that is most definitely not cookie cutter, or cheap, get a Liberty Puzzle for you or someone you like. Wooden pieces cut with incredible precision and they are most shaped like objects, animals etc. Beautiful pictures and if you turn them over once done you've got another reveal of all those pieces/outlines put together.

Sample of a back, smallish sized puzzle and way less complex than most of theirs:

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Jigsaw-...%2Caps%2C252&sr=8-16

and

https://www.amazon.com/Galison...d=1586290797&sr=8-10

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My wife broke out a 1000 piece puzzle a few days ago. She is making some good headway.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replacing pieces for jigsaws up to 5,000 pieces:
We use handmade cutters, which are periodically replaced during each production run. For this reason we cannot guarantee identical puzzle pieces would be achieved with regard to dimensions, positions or shading for each and every batch of puzzles produced. Differences can and do occur during the production process. Due to the quality of our products and the reasons stated above, we cannot offer an individual puzzle piece replacement service. In these cases please make contact with the retailer where the product was purchased, for a refund or replacement. However, as each case is different, we will always try to help where possible. Please contact our customer service team to find out if we are able to assist. If you do contact us please include the barcode number, item description, place and date of purchase, name, address and contact number.

^^^^
According to a puzzle manufacturer.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I do enjoy a good jigsaw puzzle. The some what hokey primitive art style makes a good puzzle. Charles Wysocki is a personal fave.

Buffalo Puzzles includes a large print of the picture in many of their puzzles. A great thing that is!

Not looking at the picture is akin to going to the gun range and shooting without using the sights, or the target, or both. It is just silly.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
I do enjoy a good jigsaw puzzle. The some what hokey primitive art style makes a good puzzle. Charles Wysocki is a personal fave.

Buffalo Puzzles includes a large print of the picture in many of their puzzles. A great thing that is!

Not looking at the picture is akin to going to the gun range and shooting without using the sights, or the target, or both. It is just silly.

No, no, no, no; using the picture of the puzzle is akin to walking up to the target and shooting it from 5 feet away and then saying to others - "and I can do that from 500 yards, but where's the fun in walking 500 yards every time I want to change targets?" Razz

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you puzzlers want a treat that is most definitely not cookie cutter, or cheap, get a Liberty Puzzle for you or someone you like. Wooden pieces cut with incredible precision and they are most shaped like objects, animals etc. Beautiful pictures and if you turn them over once done you've got another reveal of all those pieces/outlines put together.

Sample of a back, smallish sized puzzle and way less complex than most of theirs:

+1. We've been doing these a bit, and actually visited their store in Boulder, CO.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
LS1

So, when you buy the puzzle do you have your eyes closed? Big Grin

Maybe wrap the box in plain brown paper so you have no idea what it should be.

In Orson Welles classic film Citizen Kane His wife can be seen doing a jigsaw puzzle that is completely white, no pattern whatsoever.
That would be the ultimate puzzle done your way.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I once put together a puzzle that was 3,000 pieces. It was about 4' X 6' in size.

It was a depiction of Neuschwanstein. Yes, I did look at the picture of the box.

I'm almost ready to but the Purple Dread. Who wants to try it with me? Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
LS1

So, when you buy the puzzle do you have your eyes closed? Big Grin

Maybe wrap the box in plain brown paper so you have no idea what it should be.

In Orson Welles classic film Citizen Kane His wife can be seen doing a jigsaw puzzle that is completely white, no pattern whatsoever.
That would be the ultimate puzzle done your way.

Nope - look at the box once, then place off to the side (picture side down).

I have done 1,000 pcs puzzle upside down before. The picture wasn't any help.

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
During the winter months I do a lot of jigsaw puzzles. Recently discovered the Puzzle Warehouse on the internet and have ordered a few puzzles from them.

Great time wasters....

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have done 1,000 pcs puzzle upside down before. The picture wasn't any help.

That is impressive! Maybe try one with a blindfold on , just going by touch.

I wonder if the blind do jigsaw puzzles. I would think that the pieces that almost fit would make it nigh on impossible.

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Working on a 2000 piece puzzle now.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Littleflowerpotshop on Etsy sells four different 6” square puzzles. The most complex has 144 clear acrylic pieces. They don’t provide a solution and there’s no indication on any of the pieces which side is the top. Supposedly it’s a challenge.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if the blind do jigsaw puzzles. I would think that the pieces that almost fit would make it nigh on impossible.

^^^^^^^^^
Yes they have braille puzzles.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I assume you guys have seen the movie "Puzzle"? Kind of interesting. Puzzle competition is an underlying theme that brings two people together. Not terrible.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.herrschners.com/category/puzzle+shoppe.do

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A couple of my favorite back in HS were "Little Red Riding Hood's Hood" (all red) and "Snow White without the Seven Dwarfs" (all white). And they were big, and challenging because you only had the shapes to go by.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post