SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RV owners - A word of advice.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RV owners - A word of advice. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Almost every RV manufactured in the last million years uses the same key for the lockable storage compartments. These keys are not controlled by dealers, etc. Check your compartment keys, most likely it is a CH751 . Replacement locks and keys are available in "keyed alike" sets. I replaced all of mine with barrel locks and keys. Point being, your stuff isn't secure unless you change locks.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now how are the kids gonna be able to crawl through the compartment to unlock the door after you locked the keys inside?

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I changed the locks out to these:

Peace of Mind

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
Why are there locks on a door? To keep the honest people honest.

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
had a similar experiance at the self storage place in AZ,

they had locks there for their storage lockers.
I saw twenty of them hanging on the peg board display.

the 18 y.o. girl said " if you want three of them , just match the numbers on the back of the package and one key will open them all."

so I looked , and out of the 20 locks, the only had five numbers Eek Eek Eek

theoretically you could buy 4 locks and have access to 40 lockers on the premises Eek

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
I changed the locks out to these:

Peace of Mind

Mine came standard with this. Excellent upgrade if you don't have them and easy to install.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Just like you, I replaced all locks on our Class C with the barrel lock. Some people will argue that if someone really wants to steal your stuff, they will just break the doors itself. True. But having different barrel locks makes is somewhat harder for a common thief to steal your stuffs.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Just like you, I replaced all locks on our Class C with the barrel lock. Some people will argue that if someone really wants to steal your stuff, they will just break the doors itself. True. But having different barrel locks makes is somewhat harder for a common thief to steal your stuffs.

I'm sure the stats are similar to regular car break in. Sure, "if they really want it...," but aren't 90+% of car break in to unlocked cars?

I lock everything to hopefully put myself in the 10% group and also make them at least work a little for it and risk more exposure.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
In the past, my old trailers and motor home outside storage keys were the same. this time around they are keyed different.
On the same note, I worked for a municipal utility that used very large Cummins generators. The same storage key for my old trailers opens up the panels on the generator. I also noticed that the lock that I used to use on the hitch was the same.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Looks at RV keys, says crap, yet another thing to add to the list.

Thanks for posting this.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been known for years. The problem with the locks isn't even the same CH751 key, a key used for thousands of file cabinets and desks as well. The locks are poorly installed with nothing more than a thin nut no backer and installed through thin metal. A flat screwdriver will twist the lock open and then closed again. Just replacing with other locks without a more robust backing which will not allow it to be twisted is false security.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Ordered some barrel locks for the storage compartments earlier, one of this seasons upgrades.
Awaiting delivery, they're not expensive either.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nudge! Wii Order them on Monday as we have a trip later this year and I have been meaning to get the barrel locks but nosticks is right about the rest of the lock assembly.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Still just crappy wafer locks, about the easiest thing in the world to pick.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't have to worry about this anymore. Just went to the storage lot where I keep my camper and it has been stolen. 32' toy hauler gone, and shockingly the camera system is down.

I am so excited to deal with insurance on this Confused

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:

^^^^^^^^
My position as well. I changed to barrel locks knowing that someone could still kick in the door.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Now how are the kids gonna be able to crawl through the compartment to unlock the door after you locked the keys inside?

We also bought a realtor key box and have it attached to the trailer where you can’t see it. If we have a lockout, we can still get in. Nothing worse than being in the mountains after you find yourself locked out.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I mentioned above that my camper had been stolen, and by some miracle it was recovered in a Walmart parking lot 40 miles away in Stockbridge, GA (I'm now in Newnan, GA, not TX).

They apparently had a key for the door, but simply applied pressure to every exterior hatch until the metal bent or the locking latch bent.

Upgrades coming for sure.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad it was recovered.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Any idea if this applies to 5th wheel storage compartments as well?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post