SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - 2017 Nationals in the books!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - 2017 Nationals in the books! Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Back home in Phoenix after a long weekend in San Diego for Junior Olympic Indoor Championships and US Indoor Nationals. As I write this with 11 of the 14 sites complete, our daughter is sitting in 3rd place nationally for Junior Olympic Championships and 5th place nationally for US Indoor Nationals. It's going to be a long week waiting for the weekend and the last 3 sites to complete and scores to be final.

Our daughter shot extremely consistent all weekend long. She shot two 300 point rounds on Friday for Junior Olympic Nationals and then two 300 point rounds on both Saturday and Sunday for US Nationals. The difference between her highest and lowest round was only 9 points.

Not even a chance to rest after this. I've got total her bow into the shop this morning and get it adjusted and tuned for her outdoor arrows. She's got a private lesson with her coach tomorrow to debrief and get sighted in for outdoor season. And then next month it's the Arizona Cup and Arizona Junior Olympic State Outdoor Championships.

I was trying all weekend long to catch an arrow in flight with my daughter. I finally did it on the last day.

Our home for the weekend, the US Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista (San Diego), California. Tis is outside of the indoor range looking over one of the practice fields and back up the hill towards the visitor's center. The machine on the right is an archery skeet thrower. The local archery club rented it and had it as a fundraiser for their program. Yes, we spent money on quite a few rounds and for once I actually beat my daughter.

Why I love it when our daughter shoots in Chula Vista. The seating is limited and because of that they have bleachers up the side of the range. Sitting on the side, I can actually be in front of the shooting line and get photographs looking back at the archers. Fun for me, since Im usually looking at the backs of heads.

Looking at the back of her head. This is my daughter's form that makes coaches drool. Alignment is a critical part of form in archery. One of the alignments we stress is for the wrist and elbow of the release arm to be in alignment with the arrow. Look at where her elbow is in relation to the bowstring.

One of her groups from Sunday. One of the scoring matrixes we look at as coaches is per arrow average. It gives us an idea of how well an archer is doing during competition. Our daughter's average for US Nationals and 5th place was 9.1. The average for 4th place was 9.103, that's how close the competition gets at this level.

The other arrow in flight from my daughter I was able to catch with my camera yesterday.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. It's nice to see the support you give and how well your daughter is doing.

I have no idea about competitive archery, but it's great to learn a little and see some nice photo's from the events.

Best of luck in the next round.

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Great pics! I always enjoy reading about your daughter's progress in these threads. Keep up the good work. Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Maya, that is mighty fine shooting. The target is outstanding, any closer grouping and you'd be shooting the feathers off the arrows.

Congrats Dad, you're doing a heck of fine job supporting your daughter's avocation.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Are you going to have any fingernails left after a week of waiting? Wink

Great performance! Congratulations Maya!!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! What a beautiful group in that photo.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Man, I remember when you first started posting about her and she was a tiny little thing. Growing up fast! Congrats to both of you!

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Again congrats to Maya and her proud family!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webley Green:
Congrats Maya, that is mighty fine shooting. The target is outstanding, any closer grouping and you'd be shooting the feathers off the arrows.

Congrats Dad, you're doing a heck of fine job supporting your daughter's avocation.

Shooting a single spot target rather than a 3 spot was a source of contention between Maya and her coach. A 3 spot target has 3 separate "bullseyes" on it and the archer shoots one arrow at each. Maya wanted to shoot a 3 spot, her coach wanted her to shoot a single spot. Her coach's thinking is that the 3 spot requires a minor change in alignment for each of the 3 target faces. His philosophy is to give his archers every legal advantage in a tournament, that's why he wanted her shooting a single spot.

The deal was made that she could shoot a 3 spot for the Junior Olympic tournament on Friday. If she scored higher than 280 for both rounds she could shoot a spot on Saturday and Sunday for US Nationals, if not she'd have to shoot a single spot. On Friday she shot 276 and a 270. On Saturday and Sunday she shot a 271, 267, 266 and 271.

Our daughter's contention was that she lost a few points over the weekend shooting the single spot. Her claim is that at times she'd shoot the first arrow and the second or third arrow would hit the nock of the first and deflect from their original trajectory. Our daughter shoots pin nocks which are a solid steel insert in the tail of her arrow shafts that prevents a Robin Hood from happening. It will be an interesting conversation between her and her coach during their coaching session tomorrow.

On a side note, I'm very grateful for our strong Arizona archery family. At one point yesterday our daughter's arrows slapped hard on the target face. Hard enough that it was heard thought the range. Three separate Arizona coaches all from different clubs went over to her after the end and inspected her arrows to make sure she didn't have a damaged arrow shaft.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by Webley Green:

Shooting a single spot target rather than a 3 spot was a source of contention between Maya and her coach. A 3 spot target has 3 separate "bullseyes" on it and the archer shoots one arrow at each. Maya wanted to shoot a 3 spot, her coach wanted her to shoot a single spot. Her coach's thinking is that the 3 spot requires a minor change in alignment for each of the 3 target faces. His philosophy is to give his archers every legal advantage in a tournament, that's why he wanted her shooting a single spot.

The deal was made that she could shoot a 3 spot for the Junior Olympic tournament on Friday. If she scored higher than 280 for both rounds she could shoot a spot on Saturday and Sunday for US Nationals, if not she'd have to shoot a single spot. On Friday she shot 276 and a 270. On Saturday and Sunday she shot a 271, 267, 266 and 271.

Our daughter's contention was that she lost a few points over the weekend shooting the single spot. Her claim is that at times she'd shoot the first arrow and the second or third arrow would hit the nock of the first and deflect from their original trajectory. Our daughter shoots pin nocks which are a solid steel insert in the tail of her arrow shafts that prevents a Robin Hood from happening. It will be an interesting conversation between her and her coach during their coaching session tomorrow.

On a side note, I'm very grateful for our strong Arizona archery family. At one point yesterday our daughter's arrows slapped hard on the target face. Hard enough that it was heard thought the range. Three separate Arizona coaches all from different clubs went over to her after the end and inspected her arrows to make sure she didn't have a damaged arrow shaft.

Definitely growing up and getting that independent thinking! Her coach is going to have be on the top of his psychological game! That independence is what is going to propel her onward into the upper echelons, and keep the lows from overwhelming her at those times you know will happen! You never hear about a top contender that doesn't know what is best!

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you, her on her accomplishment and you for supporting her on the journey!

Best of luck to her in her upcoming competition!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful thing! Congrats to all and best wishes!

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Love to see Maya doing so well!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post