SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me stream/cast/mirror from an iPhone preferably.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me stream/cast/mirror from an iPhone preferably. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have an iPhone and iPad would like to stream/cast/mirror my screen to a TV.
Not sure what the proper term is but no wires to the TV.

I have a Roku and Amazon FireTV.
Is this possible??

I have an Samsung Galaxy Tab I could use in place of the iPhone/iPad but would prefer not to.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The receiving device (Roku, Fire TV) has to support AirPlay.

Allegedly there are AirPlay apps for Fire TVs.

Here's one article I found: How to Stream iPhone to Amazon Fire TV Stick Using AirPlay?

Roku, beyond a certain O/S version, supports AirPlay natively. So: How to Mirror Your iPhone to Roku

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
OK. Slash the iPad idea. This thing is too old to run the app I need to cast.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
The receiving device (Roku, Fire TV) has to support AirPlay.

Allegedly there are AirPlay apps for Fire TVs.

Here's one article I found: How to Stream iPhone to Amazon Fire TV Stick Using AirPlay?

Roku, beyond a certain O/S version, supports AirPlay natively. So: How to Mirror Your iPhone to Roku

So my Roku is too old to receive the cast from AirPlay.

I downloaded AirBuddy for the FireTV like the article says.
I open the App on the FireTV and click the cast button in the Peloton app and it does not send the iPhone screen. It sends the audio and a full size picture of the instructors face with the workout countdown.

When I hit the cast button on the IPhone it gave me the Airplay option which only half worked but it also gave me the Chromecast option.
I see a Chromecast is $18 but the question is if I spend the $18 will I only get the audio and a picture like with the Airplay/AirBuddy?

I tried using the Samsung Tablet but the Android App will only allow me to connect my heart rate monitor to the Peloton app.
The iPhone allows heart rate and cadence monitors to connect.
My end goal is to have cadence and heart rate displayed on the big screen.

The FireTV native Peloton App like the Samsung will only connect to the HR sensor. Likely because they are both Android.

Nothing can ever be simple for me for some reason.

————————————————

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to your first question, re: The Chromecast option.

As to your second question, why you're having so much trouble: By your own admission, much of your stuff is... *cough*... "vintage" Smile

Seriously: Many more recent enhancements require equipment upgrades. The technology is advancing so fast that anything you buy today is bound to be hopelessly obsolete in five to six years.

I'm very familiar with your struggle, as traditionally I've tried to hold on to stuff forever, myself. But I've grown weary of hacking and kludging things together, so I increasingly bite the financial bullet and upgrade.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Jeremy, go get an Apple TV. It makes life much easier when trying to broadcast to a TV from another Apple device.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Jeremy, go get an Apple TV. It makes life much easier when trying to broadcast to a TV from another Apple device.

Trying not to spend money.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday was very good in the off road/suspension discount world so the fun stuff savings account is very low at the moment.
1st box arrived yesterday. Big Grin

————————————————

posted Hide Post
how about a media dongle. it has a HDMI connection. I use one often when I need to put training presentation on to a meeting room TV.

I have found some apps prevent one from streaming to a TV, espn is one that comes to mind

https://www.apple.com/shop/pro...g-digital-av-adapter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
how about a media dongle. it has a HDMI connection. I use one often when I need to put training presentation on to a meeting room TV.

I have found some apps prevent one from streaming to a TV, espn is one that comes to mind

https://www.apple.com/shop/pro...g-digital-av-adapter

Can’t do a wire across the home gym.

May give the Chromecast a shot looks like it will work.
https://support.onepeloton.com...ton-App-for-Android-

Think the AirBuddy only sends a portion as it sends “files” and not a stream so I think it has something to do with only getting audio.

————————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Chromecast requires an internet connection.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From Peloton web page, if you are using IOS, should get a Chromecast if you don't have a smart tv, apple TV etc. Chromecast works great for casting many things, it depends on the app,

Peloton uses Miracast technology, and hooking up the IOS is impossible without a 3rd party app, IOS doesn't support Miracast.. They use of course the in house program Apple Play.

To get past this, the Chromecast will connect to your IOS device, remember though it's the app that controls if it will see the Chromecast.

DirecTV doesn't allow Chromecasting from within their app. Peloton does. It will be the cheap way to go...

You can connect the Chromecast to your wifi router for internet access.

Link to Peloton

IOS APP
With the Peloton App for iOS you can use Airplay or Chromecast to stream your workouts to your Apple TV or Chromecast-enabled TV.

To stream a workout to your TV:

Enter the class you want to cast on the iOS app.

Tap the Airplay or Chromecast logo on the bottom right of the progress bar.

You can then select the TV you would like to stream your ride to.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Chromecast requires an internet connection.

No issue there. Hard wired and WiFi available in the home gym.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Well looks like it will be all for naught come June anyway.
Peloton is pulling their compatibility with Bluetooth cadence sensors.

So I guess I will just find a nice cadence display for the bike. Instead of buying the chromecast.
Already can get the Peloton app on the TV with the Amazon app just not the cadence which I wanted on the screen.

https://www.pelobuddy.com/pelo...peloton-digital-ios/

————————————————