SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Observation pretaining to TV'S Law & Order episoodes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observation pretaining to TV'S Law & Order episoodes Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Just wondering why they call an ambulannce a bus. Where I grew up a Bus is a vehiclle for mass publuc transportation.

Was alsoo watching an episode today and one of the detectives madee a statement "great just what we need more guns on the street" this statemennt was made referring to an armored car guard.

Just my observaions.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
At work we refer to ambulances as big red taxis.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"Bus" is probably some local slang. As for the "too many guns on the streets" business, I'm sure the writers/producers are slipping an editorial in there, but the show takes place in NYC and the characters are NYC cops and prosecutors. Would you not expect them to say something like that?

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Bus is a term for an ambulance in NYC, PD and Fire use it constantly to refer to EMS, it comes from the later half of the 20th century when the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation used trucks that looked like buses for ambulances.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
hollywood making an anti-gun slur?? Say it isn't so. . . Wink

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
All I know about the show is my sister uses it as a tool to wake up ever 10-15 minutes so she can say she doesn't got to bed until 11.

dun-DUHHHHH!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Many police officers believe they should be the only people lawfully armed. It's nothing new.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The show has always had an anti gun slant. No secret there.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
The show has always had an anti gun slant. No secret there.

From actually talking with NYPD cops, sadly, I feel it's accurate character depiction.

I wouldn't go with All Cops Are Antigun - most I know aren't - but it's definitely related to your background. Becoming a cop when you've been raised in NYC will not automatically make you pro-2A.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
When I was sent to NYC after 9/11, I talked to hundreds of NYPD guys at POPPA. One guy was a young fellow with a face that looked like a map of Ireland. He was from Far Rockaway, out towards JFK. He said everyone in his high school graduating class was a cop, a firefighter, a bartender, or a dope dealer. NYPD guys get a bad rap on TV and in the print media.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They also say "forthwith" a lot.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
and end radio traffic with "K"

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post