SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    University to focus on majors that have "clear career pathways"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University to focus on majors that have "clear career pathways" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
They already have those...They're called 'Technical Schools' or 'Trade Schools'.

Yes but what Trade Schools don't teach are Chemistry, Physics, pre-med, the various Engineering fields, Math, Biochemistry, etc., etc. What they are really called is "Institute of Technology" as Case, Carnegie, MIT and similar.

UWSP isn't dropping English, History, etc. classes, they just aren't going to offer them as majors.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
IMHO, getting "any degree" is still better than no degree.

made a difference for my friend's dad who was able to become a colonel in the Army with his history degree.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The "free college for everyone" crowd really don't understand education. Were the government to look at jobs in high demand and support students earning those degrees, i.e. "Free education," things would be good. However, colleges are filled with ethnic, gender, art, theater and similar soft courses. Pay students for the degrees society needs and offer loans for those seeking jobs in overfilled fields.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
IMHO, getting "any degree" is still better than no degree....

As long as you earn the degree, develop discipline and skills, complete meaningful requirements (rather than warm fuzzies.)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when the "occupy wall street" was going on some guys went to one at NYC and asked a girl protesting about high tuitions. They asked her how much hers was,she said over $200,000.00. Then they asked her what her major was,she said Minority Womens Studys. Wonder how that worked out for her. She couldn't even manage a McDonalds with that.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
Back when the "occupy wall street" was going on some guys went to one at NYC and asked a girl protesting about high tuitions. They asked her how much hers was,she said over $200,000.00. Then they asked her what her major was,she said Minority Womens Studys. Wonder how that worked out for her. She couldn't even manage a McDonalds with that.

I wonder what she, and her parents were thinking, paying $200K for a college degree that is worth $1.99. But no matter, if she has student loans, odds are the taxpayers will end up paying for the degree.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
soft courses

Help me out here, don't those exist largely just to fill seats?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
History, who needs history? Roll Eyes

As a history minor, there’s a massive gap between History, the knowledge and understand of the past and how it shaped the present and will impact the future, and the absolute garbage that is packaged as “History” in college.

Long reply started, but deleted to simply say:

+1.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
IMHO, getting "any degree" is still better than no degree.

made a difference for my friend's dad who was able to become a colonel in the Army with his history degree.

I disagree. More damage has been done to the way we do business in America by idiots with a degree, because "I have a degree so I know it all" even though they have never done the job a day in their life.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a Computer Engineering major. I didn't have the best GPA because I had far fewer fucks to give about the core coursework. I knew by about my junior year that if I were to do something related to my degree, I'd be a sysadmin, rather than a developer, so for me my degree was ticking the box of "has a Bachelor of Science degree." And if I were doing a job not related to my degree, it would have been in Emergency Services, so just checking the "must have a degree" box.
I worked at a low-paying job for several years to show I had experience, then moved on from there to a large financial firm.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
English, philosophy, history and Spanish are legit, IMO. But drama, dance, etc. – no.

Hell, way back in 1977 in my last semester at Uni MD, they had a gimme course called the psychology of Death. Literally!

Another vet told me that I should take it as it was a guaranteed "A". I already had very close to a 4.0 average and said I would rather spend the time and money on something useful.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Note to those defending the soft degrees as places where one learns critical thinking, logic, expression and so forth. Sure they are. But they do not have a monopoly on it.

Thought exercise - imagine getting an MIT engineering degree (as an example) without those skills, and then some. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Even Engineering and Science majors need a few "soft" courses thrown into the mix, just to give their brains a little room to roam and relax. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" is operative here. During my B.S.in Ch.E. education I included a semester course in Philosophy and one in Music Appreciation. There was provision in my curriculum for a couple of unrelated courses, and I took those.

That does not mean I think there is much demand for persons with degrees in those subjects, other than in teaching or performance.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:...During my B.S.in Ch.E. education I included a semester course in Philosophy and one in Music Appreciation....flashguy

Smile

My first major was EE, then Chem E. Then Army Reserves, then downhill skiing, motocross, stereos. When I got serious about school again I went into accounting -- 4 days a week rather than 6, and accounting is add-subtract-multiply-divide, no partial differental equations or integrate trig functions.